Answered

Playing Youtube via SONOS.

• 18 November 2012
  • 474 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

474 replies

I was going to buy a Sonos system but if it doesn't play from YouTube from my iPad I think I might look elsewhere. Such a shame that in 2014 the technology doesn't exist...
I know how you feel. There is a way around it but you need to have a sonos 5 or the connect amp. Them you have to buy an air play adapter or Bluetooth adapter to coo next to the line in. Then you can pair your phone with the Bluetooth and play you tube that way. Sucks but as far as I know that's the only way. I have a play 3 and play 1 so I'm out of luck.
I was going to buy a Sonos system but if it doesn't play from YouTube from my iPad I think I might look elsewhere. Such a shame that in 2014 the technology doesn't exist...
I don't understand why YouTube integration hasn't happened yet. Consistently on these forums that feature is being asked. Not just YouTube integration, but third party app support should be encouraged. Software development expenses would be reduced if you just opened your APIs, and allowed third party developers access to the device. In addition time to market for new services would be greatly reduced if you used a common API that could be easily tapped. YouTube has been begged for by your user community. Do you care about the users? If you do, why can't you at least respond to our requests?
Please implement!!!! on android i'm sure its possible 🙂
Playing music from YouTube like this is essentially piracy so I doubt you will see any official Sonos update. Most music streams on YouTube are unauthorised uploads, even if they are official if you are only streaming audio without the visual there will be no advertising so no income so I can't imaging YouTube would allow this either
Playing music from YouTube like this is essentially piracy so I doubt you will see any official Sonos update. Most music streams on YouTube are unauthorised uploads, even if they are official if you are only streaming audio without the visual there will be no advertising so no income so I can't imaging YouTube would allow this either
Why when video watching/playing on the device and sound comes out of the sonos.... 😉
Please add YouTube streaming functionality to the Sonos app. It's a must-have.
I'm about to buy a PlayBar but i find it pretty sad that i cant play YouTube through the Sonos app!

I'd really look forward to see an update for YouTube support. Go for it Sonos!

Edit: Maybe ill wait with my purchase until this is cleared up.

I want to listen to BBC radio "Listen again" using my laptop and outputting to my new Sonos 5.  It seems I can't.  What a pity.
Can you please add support for streaming music not necessarily from the specific services, but from any audio output: youtube, movie, etc.?
I would prefer youtube, and VLC player at least...

Thank you!
In the same idea, SoundCloud, the YouTube of the sound, should be also streamed d(-_~)b !
http://inburst.io/soundcloud-on-your-sonos/

Try this 🙂
Come on SONOS. Its not as if we haven't invested in your company. Personally I would be kicked out of the house if my other half knew how much I have spent on kit from you guys. I think its snobbish, disgraceful bad service to not even bother to reply to us on here.

YOUTUBE PLEASE!!!!!
Hi Wesley, sorry to break the news to you, but the Sonos software controller does not access Apple's proprietary sound hardware layer to which the internet content is routed. All of us who want to listen to YouTube content on our Sonos systems are out of luck on this one. If you owned a Play:5, I would recommend getting an Apple Air Port Express and using it to build a subnet on the Sonos P2P network and using a cable to route that signal to the Play:5 external input port. A bluetooth audio adapter would work also if the units you own have the external input port. If I recall correctly, the Play:1 and Play:3 do not have an external input port. One option is to return the units and swap them for a Play:5. I am also watching the Bose wireless systems which now have Wifi. My guess at present is that they too will lack the ability to stream the Apple sound layer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually I have hope we will see YouTube implemented sooner than later.  Google seems interested in working with Sonos in that the most recent Google Play can cast direct to Sonos from the Google Play app (first time you have app that isn't required to have a separate Sonos app in the Sonos controller).   Hopefully in an upcoming release of the YouTube app Google will add the same ability.  Since they have it build into their PLAY app I don't see why they wouldn't take the same ability over to their YouTube app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
reference http://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-play-music-sonos-support,news-18591.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Youtube makes money through on-screen advertising.  By 'officially' streaming to Sonos, you are denying them that opportunity so I cant see it happening in its current form.  Yes, there are workarounds but they're all a bit clunky.

However, with this recent announcement it comes as step closer. 
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/17/us-google-youtube-idUSKBN0ES2LO20140617

A paid-for Youtube music subscription service.  However, this then basically just becomes another payable music streaming service with probably the same music collection as Google Play All Access.  Its possible google might agree to stream that content also to Sonos but anything that wasnt licensed under the subscription service probably wouldnt work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But if Google enables casting directly from the YouTube app that avoids the issue of bypassing on-screen advertising.  The new casting ability they have with Google Play is just like Airplay (just Sonos ability instead). Of course it is exclusive to Android right now I do believe.  You would still be using the same YouTube app on your device as always.  But I see NickA's point as to why they would not want a streaming ability inside the Sonos App.
Add youtube sonos!
This is all about marketing and fee collections for sonos.  It's an Apple-esque, closed model. They're afraid they'll lose revenue if they open up the api to generic interface like a live pc media stream. Instead, they lock it down to the media streams encapsulated in the sonos bridge, which does allow opening a stream from someone's pc media library - but no networked streams. They are able to keep a tight control over the streaming sources this way at the expense of useability and integration with other network media sources.  They do offer a good sound quality and the interface they have seems to be pretty stable.  However, I've always found the propietary schemes annoying - in my opinion greedy.  They already charge a pretty penny for the devices, and should offer this as an option IMHO.  If they were smart they'd open it up and test it now - because they should definitely add this this when offering streaming wireless video services with a future: eg. Sonos "Vidi X" model - they'd be stupid not to.
If you're willing to spend the money - they do offer a bridge that you can plug an analog line in from your pc and sort of hack in this feature by plugging your pc analog output into it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Fee Collection ???  What fees do they receive for the Apps within Sonos.  My assumption would be they get no fees from the providers.  Not sure how Sonos benefits??  They just don't have the ability to stream directly from PC (no streamer developed into Sonos system - so I guess you could say they haven't spent the cost or resources to develop a streamer .... but not collecting revenues by not having).

Now - as far as the providers not supporting Sonos apps because they want users to use their own application for their revenues... now that is possible.  That is why providers implementing a casting like with the new Google Music casting from in-app to Sonos works for everyone.  Sonos has said they want to focus on that method - but it leaves it in many ways in the court of the provider to support Sonos to gain customers.
I'm not sure Sonos is aware that YouTube is a major source of music for many people, as it has a video element to it, but there are many many channels that are all music with just a token picture for the video...And this is the content we want streaming over our several thousand dollar systems...just as we could if we simply bought a fifteen dollar Bluetooth adapter from Amazon...But we shouldn't have to do that right?
Come on Sonos. Open your environment. Much money for a lot ot limitations.
Just sold my Sonos because of this. I would recommend another bluetooth option, other companies are killing this. Forget companies who don't want to get with the times. Nealy everyone under 30 plays music off YouTube, good luck Sonos.
This is a protectionist attitude in order to sell paid subscriptions in partnerships with Napster, Spotify etc. The technique is not the problem. A highend device would simply be able to.  Sonos determines to which I can listen, this is a limitation of choice. Besides Youtube the same for mandatory Spotify Premium. One of the main reasons I consider to send the Play:5 and bridge back. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
CURRENTLY FOR YOUTUBE:  If you have Play:5 option is a Bluetooth receiver hooked to Play:5 or add an Airplay express to the Play:5 (if have apple products) and you can stream from your phone direct in most apps then.

Or from desktop computer setup a radio stream to send to Sonos (won't have lip sync)
Sonos doesn't work like this though. its an audio streaming platform, why would they add a video element just to show ads..? If you want this why not get a Roku or Apple TV?
...because Google Play is a legitimate paid-for music service, YouTube is not (at the moment). YouTube requires visual advertising to be displayed to generate income which obviously wont work on an audio-only system like Sonos