Answered

Playing Youtube via SONOS.

• 18 November 2012
  • 474 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

474 replies

Hi everyone, I am considering buying my first sonos speakers and would really like to play YouTube through them. Correct me if I am wrong but would it be possible for me to buy the sonos connect box and play YouTube through my TV, using the sonos speakers to play the audio?
Ali, you will NOT be able to wirelessly stream YouTube audio to the Sonos speaker.
But if I use the sonos connect (wired to the tv), is it not the same a using the sonos speakers as a surround sound system for my tv?
Please add the feature to play audio via youtube feature as well, asap. thanks!
Hi, I'm one proud owner of sonos system, but like everybody else here disappointed on the limitation sonos put on the system I mean not being able to watch youtube, and as far I can see the support team does not responded to any of this requests is a big shame, and a 0 points on this department. 😞
Hi proud owner, I too was disappointed about the Sonos software and network inability to play content from Youtube or other web sources like Safari. I got over the disappoint by accepting the limitation and not settling for the support team's non-networked, non-wireless answer of "connect your device to the 'line-in' port on the Sonos speaker (I have a Play:5). The I solution used to wirelessly stream Youtube audio content (I love One Republic's Good Life) to my Play:5 was to invest another $94.00 into the system by buying an Apple Airport Express and streaming content to yet another sub-network (Play:5 & Airport network--making 3 in my small house) with Airplay capabililty in my iOS browser or Youtube. Note, this solution is not viable for a Windows based system yet. For windows and maybe android, keep watch on Miracast. Hope this restores you confidence if your pocket book can tolerate the cost. Another option half the cost but less flexible is to use a bluetooth audio adaptor like one from Logitec. This is a more limited approach.
Hi, I'm one proud owner of sonos system, but like everybody else here disappointed on the limitation sonos put on the system I mean not being able to watch youtube, and as far I can see the support team does not responded to any of this requests is a big shame, and a 0 points on this department. :(
Support replied to me. Basically they are monitoring this thread so the more people in the Sonos community that like or follow this thread. The more likely it is that they will incorporate this much desired feature
Hi proud owner, I too was disappointed about the Sonos software and network inability to play content from Youtube or other web sources like Safari. I got over the disappoint by accepting the limitation and not settling for the support team's non-networked, non-wireless answer of "connect your device to the 'line-in' port on the Sonos speaker (I have a Play:5). The I solution used to wirelessly stream Youtube audio content (I love One Republic's Good Life) to my Play:5 was to invest another $94.00 into the system by buying an Apple Airport Express and streaming content to yet another sub-network (Play:5 & Airport network--making 3 in my small house) with Airplay capabililty in my iOS browser or Youtube. Note, this solution is not viable for a Windows based system yet. For windows and maybe android, keep watch on Miracast. Hope this restores you confidence if your pocket book can tolerate the cost. Another option half the cost but less flexible is to use a bluetooth audio adaptor like one from Logitec. This is a more limited approach.
ouch... should've seen this thread before. So so disappointing , that sonos cannot stream youtube. Got sonos-5 just few hours ago , so frustrating that no youtube. 
ouch... should've seen this thread before. So so disappointing , that sonos cannot stream youtube. Got sonos-5 just few hours ago , so frustrating that no youtube. 
got play5 and also want to stream youtube 2 the sonos
I just purchased and received sonos play 5 - first thing I realized no YouTube, very disappointed I hope they will add it soon
Tony, that solution only works for one speaker, correct?  Since you are sending the stream wirelessly to Airport, and then connecting Airport output directly to Play5.  So it's only a solution for one speaker?  Thanks!

LMR
Yes, that is correct. For multiple Sonos speakers, one would need to proliferate Airport Expresses to accommodate each one. I haven't tried it. This arrangement might set up a transmission delay between the two or more speakers, so beware.
Hi Sonos, i think it will be perfect if we are able to have the option of having the Sonos system as an audio output for all audio from the iphone.

it is very frustrating to encounter simple limitations of what seems to be a new age sound system.  
Hi Sonos, this thread, or similar has been around for months. YouTube is an obvious perfect partner for your lovely system. Please respond in next update.
That obviously is a fail in my opinion. I discovered the sonos system while I was staying at my sisters place, and was really pleased with it. But since u can't stream youtube via ur sonos I reconsider buying one. Honestly, it would be perfect with this feature, and I could make a compromise towards other features, but this is a deal breaker!
Userlevel 2
This is very interesting concept now that Google Play streams directly to Sonos. Can Google Play's functionality be expanded to other apps on devices?
Sonos, please..
can´t you see that this is somehting a lot of customers want, and it shouldn´t even be difficult to implement,.. 

We would all love for thisto be added to an otherwise great product...
I have a play 3 and play 1 so no ability to utilize any of the workarounds suggested here. It would be really great if Sonos can include this feature..

The speakers are awesome but without this functionality, I think its a deal breaker. It's only a matter of time before someone else comes up with a similar system that takes advantage of the features missing in Sonos..
I have a play 3 and play 1 so no ability to utilize any of the workarounds suggested here. It would be really great if Sonos can include this feature..

The speakers are awesome but without this functionality, I think its a deal breaker. It's only a matter of time before someone else comes up with a similar system that takes advantage of the features missing in Sonos..

Hi Vinod, have you considered returning the play:3 and play:1 and going with a Bose product? Do the play:3 and play:1 not have a line-in port?

Hi Tony, No line in port on the play 3 and play 1. I love the products but procrastinated too long on returning them so it's now past the date of return. All in all they are still great speakers. Like others hoping the YouTube limitation is overcome.
Are Sonos team working on this? I really like my Sonos system but the lack of youtube really lower the score to be honest!
Userlevel 1
In the same idea, SoundCloud, the YouTube of the sound, should be also streamed d(-_~)b !
Userlevel 1
I think the first competitor who propose to stream YouTube and SoundCloud, wins the battle and becomes the market leader!
I was going to buy a Sonos system but if it doesn't play from YouTube from my iPad I think I might look elsewhere. Such a shame that in 2014 the technology doesn't exist...