Question

Playing music from MacBook Pro

• 28 February 2016
  • 11 replies

My MacBook Pro is a few years old and doesn't have Airplay. Does anyone know how (if) I can play music from it to Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Sonos doesn't support Airplay natively anyway. You'd have needed to push an Airplay stream to an Airport Express wired to a Sonos Line-In jack.

For music files stored on the MacBook all you need to do is install the Sonos controller and ask it to index the local folder containing your library. You'll possibly need to enable SMB file sharing first. Sonos should then set up a network share and pull the files directly.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413
thanks for your help, but in App store on my Mac it doesn't offer me Sonos Controller. I've downloaded Sonos Controller fine onto my iPhone and iPad, but the App store when accessed from my Mac comes up blank for Sonos.
The Mac software is available here, under Software downloads:

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/support?r=1
thanks for your help, but in App store on my Mac it doesn't offer me Sonos Controller. I've downloaded Sonos Controller fine onto my iPhone and iPad, but the App store when accessed from my Mac comes up blank for Sonos.
Are you running OS X 10.7 or higher? This is required for the Desktop controller.

If not, you can still share files to Sonos off the Mac. But you'd have to set up the share yourself and then point the Sonos system at it.
I'm running 10.9.5 and I have successfully downloaded the Sonos software - thanks for the help. But now the music library that it is showing is not my own music library but a fairly random library of music that is not mine! Any ideas as to how to make Sonos acccess my own music library? Thanks everyone.
You must have pointed Sonos to the wrong folder. Go to Manage/Music Library Settings. Remove whatever's there then add the correct folder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
SONOS will only ever display the music that corresponds to the file it has been pointed towards. You would need to determine where your desired music is kept, then point SONOS towards that, as outlined in ratty's advice. How have you been getting on with this? Please let me know if you are still struggling.
You guys have been great! Everything seems fine now! Very helpful for techno-novices like me. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You guys have been great! Everything seems fine now! Very helpful for techno-novices like me. Thank you.
Great to hear! Let us know if anything else comes up. Stick around and join the conversation. We'll see you around 🙂
I'm running 10.9.5 and I have successfully downloaded the Sonos software - thanks for the help. But now the music library that it is showing is not my own music library but a fairly random library of music that is not mine! Any ideas as to how to make Sonos acccess my own music library? Thanks everyone.

What was the fix? I can’t find the sonos controller in my Mac computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
What was the fix? I can’t find the sonos controller in my Mac computer.

Have you downloaded it? The download link is in the 3rd post of this thread. For the latest controller (8.4) you will need to be on Mas OS 10.10 or higher.