Question

Playing movie audio through Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

To be totally honest with u i feel a bit lost so if you could help me figure this out i have 2 sonos play 1 so what more devices do i need so i can watch my videos on my phone or tv screen while listening to audio thru sonos n if you could send me links thatll be great thanks a million
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is your phone an iphone?

Do you have a home Mac or Windows desktop/laptop?
Yes all apple products
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Install SonoAir on your Mac - once installed on your Mac anytime the Mac is on it will act as an Airplay server.  On your iphone your Sonos speakers will show up as Airplay speakers that you can then cast from any application on your phone.

http://sonoair.mihosoft.eu/
Great help now i can expand my system around the house with no worries
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only issue may be there will most likely in going though the network a slight sound delay.  If you concern is being in exact sync for watching a movie or something on your TV I've never tested as far as how bad lip sync is going via Airplay method.
Ya i would expect a lag diff afterall its a beta all i want is a music video right now
The Sonos Play:5, Connect, and Connect:AMP models all have analog Line In connections, so that you could hook your computer or other device to them and play that audio through your Sonos system. For more information about using the Line In on these devices, see this support article: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091

Sonos seems rather limiting in a lot of ways.
Might I suggest you buy something else then, rather than buy a product without bothering to check if it'll do what you require first? Just a general point, something that an awful lot of people round here fail to achieve...
Badge
I got to say i feel like it is something more than stupid blocking users from playing youtube and local movies in such an excellent speaker as the Play 1, i got to say i love the detail level of music, and as i feel a little deceived with this device, i got to love the sound quality for a wireless system which is more than excellent HOWEVER it seems to me unacceptable this stupid limitation, and i was planning to buy a whole set of sonos speakers rigth now im lokking to other brands less stupid in terms of "what we are allowing users to do with THEIR speakers". Im so sorry for this, hopefully someone at sonos read this review and change things with a software update. Sad sonos.:(:?:@
It's not "sad Sonos" who is doing the blocking, it is sad YouTube. YouTube is ad driven, so they want to keep you tethered to the device. YouTube is even blocked on the Google Chromecast Audio, and Google owns YouTube, for cripes sake. So go scream how sorry you are at YouTube.
Badge
It's not "sad Sonos" who is doing the blocking, it is sad YouTube. YouTube is ad driven, so they want to keep you tethered to the device. YouTube is even blocked on the Google Chromecast Audio, and Google owns YouTube, for cripes sake. So go scream how sorry you are at YouTube.

What about local movies?
Badge
I mean users begin as me with a play 1 usually, what a big dissapoinment to not being able to play sound from local movies, thats crazy!! could someone at development at sonos could make availiable an option so i can import movies to the sonos library? is it really complicated or just some marketing bull$#"! to make you buy a play 5?? THAT´S NOT FAIR.

What about local movies?

There is no universal streaming protocol over WiFi like there is for Bluetooth. Both Apple and Google have decided to monetize instead of standardize when it comes to video streaming. So until that all works out, buy a Playbar.

But seriously, ask yourself this: Why would Sonos hold back on this? There are two explanations: One, there are forces beyond their control or two, they hate their customers. Only one of those explanations makes any sense.
I mean users begin as me with a play 1 usually, what a big dissapoinment to not being able to play sound from local movies, thats crazy!! could someone at development at sonos could make availiable an option so i can import movies to the sonos library? is it really complicated or just some marketing bull$#"! to make you buy a play 5?? THAT´S NOT FAIR.

I play YouTube, LiveStream, etc. without issue. Chromecast to the TV via HDMI, TV optical out to the Sonos Playbar. Works perfectly.

Google's own Chromecast Audio doesn't support YouTube. It's a video service, which requires their video Chromecast.
Userlevel 2
If you have an apple device stream via airplay  . .use airsonos installed on a computer.

How do you do this?
Badge
This would have been the best feature this speaker should have had. I have the Play 1 and watch movies / tv shows from my laptop far more often than I stream music. I'm not really using it for much any more. I had plans to buy more Play 1's... assuming there'd be support for surround. I suppose that was also wishful thinking.
Badge
First day owing a Sonos Play 1. Great sound, if the music on your phone has a juicy enough library. Can't connect it to my iPad or laptop for movies, very disappointing. It's actually a load of BS that it's not simpler.
Badge
It's rather disappointing that Sonos is lacking what seem to everybody to be a rather basic feature. So I just bought your excellent speaker that sounds great, but there's no way to play sound directly from my laptop to that speaker? Not even a measly line in? Oh, you want me to buy a $350 Connect to do that? Thanks, but no thanks.
I half expected this limitation, but I thought that such an obvious feature might be there anyway, since none of the reviews that I read pointed out that limitation.
I was planning on getting a bunch of these speaker, if they turned out to be as good as everybody is saying. Too bad they are not.
Badge +1
so, wait, if i rent a movie on iTunes, i can't listen to the movie audio with my sonos speakers?
Badge
so, wait, if i rent a movie on iTunes, i can't listen to the movie audio with my sonos speakers?

As far as understand it; no, you cannot listen to your rented movie on the Sonos Play 1. You could buy the Amp system (for a packet of cash), and then plug your computer (or whatever device) into the Amp, but there's no way to use the Play 1 speakers.

I think that this is just a way to sell more expensive hardware. Heck, why make an app that can connect your device to the Sonos when you can get folks to buy more hardware to do the same thing?
😞
Userlevel 2
Badge
I looked into this before purchasing any of the Sonos products. You need a Sonos Connect in order to broadcast whatever you like around the house or room, i.e. the TV.

I use the phono output from my main amp which everything goes into, so I can play whatever it is amplifying anywhere.

As for iTunes movies, YouTube etc. as long as your laptop is connected to the TV, or you have a SMART TV, it's the same deal. If it's not connected to the TV, you're watching a tiny screen so why not use the tiny speakers in it?
Hi, I'm disappointed with my Sonos.
I'm not disappointed in any way. Sonos does what Sonos says. Perhaps, next time if you want to buy something, you read about what you want to buy before you buy?
Support for some protocol equivalent to AirPlay would be appreciated for such purpose.
There are Apps in the Appstores that will connect your computer to your Sonos system. Using your computer's input capabilities, you may also find a way to stream that to the Sonos system as well. I have a Beta for a new OS X App on my Mac. It's not perfect yet, but it is very promising. I can now play my Vinyl via Mac to Play:1 in stereo.
I am so disappointed I cannot connect this to my computer as a speaker. I feel like I bought a really expensive Alexa! How hard could it be to do this Sonos? You descriptions are deceiving on Amazon.