Question

Playing movie audio through Sonos

can I connect my computer to sonos and play the audio of a movie through my sonos system? For example, I am connecting my computer to a projector. I want the audio to connect and play through my sonos. Can I either send the movie to my sonos library or is it possible to connect the computer (audio line out) by hard line into a sonos component.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Sonos Play:5, Connect, and Connect:AMP models all have analog Line In connections, so that you could hook your computer or other device to them and play that audio through your Sonos system. For more information about using the Line In on these devices, see this support article: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091
Userlevel 2
Hi, I'm disappointed with my Sonos. It's not the simple wireless device I thought I was buying. I bought it thinking I'd rarely need the audio line in ever again... I thought it would do simple things that other functional wireless players now do like let you locate the projector and audio system in separate locations without the need for cables or enable audio to be streamed direct from my android phone without needing to have my computer turned on (as the music server) and let me listen to TED talks or youtube clips from my computer wirelessly... I think you need to be more upfront about the limitations of Sonos' wireless functionality in your marketing.
Userlevel 1
Support for some protocol equivalent to AirPlay would be appreciated for such purpose.
Userlevel 1
The Sonos Play:5, Connect, and Connect:AMP models all have analog Line In connections, so that you could hook your computer or other device to them and play that audio through your Sonos system. For more information about using the Line In on these devices, see this support article: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091
That means NO for a Play:1.  Disappointing.  I hope this is an improvement you are working on for your Desktop App.  I would have thought it'd be easy to just broadcast the audio-card output to the Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Very disappointing indeed. The purpose of purchasing the Play 1 was for use as a speaker when playing movies from the laptop, which is not loud enough.
Userlevel 1
Very Disappointing, come Sonos !  
Userlevel 1
This would have been the best feature this speaker should have had. I have the Play 1 and watch movies / tv shows from my laptop far more often than I stream music. I'm not really using it for much any more. I had plans to buy more Play 1's... assuming there'd be support for surround. I suppose that was also wishful thinking.
Just bought a Sonos Play 5 and really surprised this is not an option. Let's hope it comes in a future update. 
same here,,, that really is disapointing ,,,, it really is limitting my options when I want to listen to a simple music.
I believe it is possible to configure Sonos to play a custom MP3 shoutcast radio station (https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/playing_movie_audio_through_sonos). So you could stream your video's audio using something like icecast2 and tune in on Sonos. That should work for PLAY:1 too.
Userlevel 1
waw, is it still valid that with play:1 and play:2 you are not able to easily forward sound from your computer into wireless speaker wirelessly??? whats the reason? thats really disapointing and big NO for sonos. I would choose something else then (bose etc)
Userlevel 1
yes exactly! the same in here
Write a reply   I have 3 sonos player , but I'm so disapointed not to be able to use them as "multi-purpose" wierless player, just like a regulare i would plug to my computer.
I hope that with competition becoming stronger, Sonos will open this option.
Userlevel 1
I completely agree that this high-end/night quality but expensive audio equipment should be able to do the simplest of functions and stream from devices wirelessly with either Bluetooth or its own built-in Wi-Fi. I just hope that the firmware will allow for future upgrades in this direction. I also hope that Sonos is reading these reviews, and that we are enough of a voice of the masses to Spawn development in this area. I personally would buy a lot more components if I knew I could take some speakers with me and play from my phone or iPad while traveling or visiting, especially where there is no Wi-Fi system at all. It would also be nice to be able to allow guests to quickly stream their own music from their own device, which would happen to also be an inadvertent advertisement for this great sounding product.
Userlevel 1
I bought a Sonos 1 and I  feel like I've been conned!  And yes maybe I should have looked into it more, so I guess its my own fault, but I assumed that playing audio from any sause would be possible. Its not. Unless you are using an application accepted by Sonos, forget it.

All I wanted to do was send the audio from a film I was watching on my projector, but Sonos says no. The device is massively restricted and to add to that theres not even an audio in. Its a massive disappointment and I'd strongly advise anyone who wants a functional and open wireless audio device to stay well away from sonos. What I got and what I thought I was getting are two very different things. I  have bought a very expensive Spotify player, oh and iTunes also works. Anything else like even sending the audio from your computer is not allowed, which is a shame because the sound quality is great, but then it should be for £170.

If anyone knows away round the draconian operating system that restricts everything, please let me know, as at the moment I am stuck with a very expensive mistake.
I have two Sonos 3s, to use as left and right speakers, and have the option to move them wherever/whenever I like. After buying the first, I too, was disappointed at how difficult/impossible it seems to be to get the players to, easily, play my movies, YouTube, Games, etc... from my computer, or from any of my TVs, even with all of the other tech that I have, I can't seem to make it work, yet... The guys at Best Buy, who I speak with pretty-often and find to be rather knowledgable, generally, said that it should be easy to hook-up to the TV and play other sound through my computer, besides the Music Library, which I had to upload, and was a bit of a pain, in and of itself... I have had plenty of quality bluetooth speakers, and these are definitely "the best" quality, and an amazing idea, with less wires, relatively easy set-up, initially, with the "basics", and the option to always upgrade/add-to/modify your sound-system to your liking! But these need to have a bluetooth option, as well! Or, at least, easier capability and better instruction on how to connect it to your TV, and/or play more media through your computer, laptop, tablet, smart-phone, for gaming, etc... So, one can, more-easily, stream ANY media from ANY bluetooth-enabled device, making it more-portable, user-friendly, friend-friendly/more social/fun, and, really, a highly-affordable powerhouse, and quick "monopoly"! Everyone was so excited about these, and they have loads of potential! I just feel like Sonos dropped the ball, or rushed production, a bit... OR these things need to more intuitive! Because, for the life of me, I am not finding it easy to play anything, but my iTunes Library music, through my music folder, on these... Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I seem to recall one of the Best Buy guys saying something about how I may need the Sonos Dock or Boost to connect to other types of media/devices, or that only the soundbarand the sub can be connected...?) I REALLY hope, and have confidence that Sonos will fix these issues, bugs, and whatnot, very-soon, before someone steals their idea, and makes it that much better! Because, at this point, They're just great speakers, with a great idea, and great promise, not yet kept... Please, SONOS, are you listening...?! Obviously, something needs to change! For all I know, I CAN hook-up to these other devices and media, but with-difficulty!  (Also, I tested all, and the 3's really seem to be the best "bang for your buck", for anyone interested... Great to even start with just one, especially to see how much you like the software, etc...) 
I agree with all of the above. This has been a very big disappointment. I was hoping to use the Play1 as a speaker for my projection system, only to find out after setting it up that it will only play music. I find it unbelievable.

This has definitely turned me off Sonos products. I'm going to find something else that works. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Play:5 would have been the proper speaker or Playbar.I have a Connect hooked to my PC between the audio out and the Computer Speakers.  This makes my computer speakers Sonos speakers and allows me to stream anything from the computer to any Sonos unit.  I replaced a Play:3 in doing so - so it was actually more cost effective then a Play:3 (as some will say the Connect is too expensive to provide the solution).  Actually it saved money and provided the solution vs. the Play:3 previously in my office (now in my Garage).
I have a play 3 and would also like to hook up my computer to a projector to play a movie and use my Sonos for sound. Is it possible?
Very disappointed in their app no youtube no videos
Dont buy any sonos products if you like watching youtube songs or movies its as simple as that its like a stupid radio spotify machine ffs u can even play taylors swift music for that reason lmao waste of money get a bose system much better
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes go Bose if you want a Bluetooth speaker.  If you want a whole home system get a Sonos and spend the time or money to setup airplay or sonos input/Bluetooth to be able to cast from youtube etc.
The thing is buddy people like sonos play 1 cause its compact small device they dont want the big ugly version of it personally id rather buy 4 of sonos play 1 but at the same time id rather if there was an option to stream from youtube n use em all at the same time
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have an apple device stream via airplay  . .use airsonos installed on a computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I utilize airsonos for airplay (although rarely need) and I also have a Connect hooked to my desktop computer which is hidden away to play Sonos music on my computer and also allow me to stream any computer audio to all my Sonos speakers (such as youtube).