Playing from Spotify desktop to SONOS Connect - gapless playback possible?

Hi all,

Is gapless playback possible from Spotify desktop app to SONOS Connect?

I'm not talking about Spotify via the Sonos app - just talking about using the official desktop Spotify app

And just to confirm - the Spotify app for MacOS does play to Sonos Connect, via 'Spotify Connect'?

Many thanks

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Hi, music2424. Yes, this is possible. This snapshot was captured from my Windows 10 computer.:

Hi, music2424. Yes, this is possible. This snapshot was captured from my Windows 10 computer.:

Hi Edward

But as per my opening post and thread title, is the playback gapless from the Spotify desktop app to Sonos Connect device?

For example, if you play Coldplay's latest album "Live in Buenos Aires", when you play track #13 "Hymn for the weekend" does it play gaplessly to the next track "Fix you", i.e. without ANY gap/silence in between the tracks?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
For example, if you play Coldplay's latest album "Live in Buenos Aires", when you play track #13 "Hymn for the weekend" does it play gaplessly to the next track "Fix you", i.e. without ANY gap/silence in between the tracks?
It works just as it would if you were playing Spotify content directly from the Sonos app. This is because Spotify Connect is a control interface: it instructs Sonos what to play, but it doesn't stream the audio content to Sonos. I've never noticed an issue with gapless playback in either mode, and the specific Coldplay example you quote plays without any gap when controlled from Spotify Connect.
It works just as it would if you were playing Spotify content directly from the Sonos app. This is because Spotify Connect is a control interface: it instructs Sonos what to play, but it doesn't stream the audio content to Sonos. I've never noticed an issue with gapless playback in either mode, and the specific Coldplay example you quote plays without any gap when controlled from Spotify Connect.

Hi,

The fact the Spotify app only acts as a control interface doesn't help with this query at all because, for example, gapless playback is not possible from the Spotify app to a Chromecast Audio device. And here the Spotify app is also just a controller.

And it's not a fault of the Chromecast Audio, as I can play Roon to Chromecast Audio gaplessly. So it's Spotify Connect that's an issue on Chromecast Audio.

Hence my query here about Sonos Connect...

But if you can play the Coldplay album gaplessly from the official Spotify app to Sonos Connect device, i.e. zero silence/pause between tracks, that's a good sign.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The fact the Spotify app only acts as a control interface doesn't help with this query at all because, for example, gapless playback is not possible from the Spotify app the Chromecast Audio. And here the Spotify app is also just a controller.
It's relevant because it reinforces that Spotify Connect works just like the native Sonos app works, i.e., correctly with regard to gapless playback in Spotify.

And it's not a fault of the Chromecast Audio, as I can play Roon to Chromecast Audio gaplessly. So it's Spotify Connect that's an issue on Chromecast Audio.
If you say so ... I have no experience of Chromecast.

But you can play the Coldplay album gaplessly from the official Spotify app to Sonos Connect device, i.e. zero silence/pause between tracks, that's a good sign.
Yes, I tested this with one of my Sonos Connects, but it would behave the same with any Sonos player.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Apologies, clearly I misunderstood. pwt is entirely correct in all that he is stating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was curious about this statement. It appears that the Chromecast API does not have support for gapless playback [1] when it's being used over its control interface, which is what Spotify Connect does. So, the fault lies with the Chromecast. For applications that stream audio content directly to the device (Roon, maybe?), the stream is controlled by the sending device and is continuous so there's no issue with gaps.

Sonos implements the control API correctly - it can queue up the next track before the current one finishes playing - so it's not afflicted by this issue.

[1] https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36190694
I was curious about this statement. It appears that the Chromecast API does not have support for gapless playback [1] when it's being used over its control interface, which is what Spotify Connect does. So, the fault lies with the Chromecast. For applications that stream audio content directly to the device (Roon, maybe?), the stream is controlled by the sending device and is continuous so there's no issue with gaps.

Sonos implements the control API correctly - it can queue up the next track before the current one finishes playing - so it's not afflicted by this issue.

[1] https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36190694

I understand Roon is different as it is a sending device. So that was a poor example from me.

So I agree Spotify Connect is not implemented correctly on Chromecast.

Another better example I could give (again with personal experience) is the Bluesound Node 2i, which also supports Spotify Connect. And again, gapless doesn't work. Like you hint though, maybe they haven't implemented gapless properly.

That's why I'm interested in getting a Sonos Connect - because the gaps with live albums and mixes is driving me insane.

Another example is Armin Van Buuren - A State of Trance Episode 900 - Part 1

It's a long mix. Check out just the first few tracks.

But I guess if you're unable to reproduce the 3 second gaps between tracks like I get, that's a good thing.

So I just wanted some confirmation from a few people, before I get a Sonos Connect.

Looks like it's a safe purchase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Another better example I could give (again with personal experience) is the Bluesound Node 2i, which also supports Spotify Connect. And again, gapless doesn't work. Like you hint though, maybe they haven't implemented gapless properly.
That's shocking and not what I'd expect. It would drive me nuts, too.

The Armin Van Buuren album plays seamlessly on Sonos, too, controlled by Spotify Connect, as I expected it would.

(In the early days of Spotify, outside Sonos, they didn't support gapless playback either. It was a huge improvement when they fixed it.)
That's shocking and not what I'd expect. It would drive me nuts, too.

The Armin Van Buuren album plays seamlessly on Sonos, too, controlled by Spotify Connect, as I expected it would.

(In the early days of Spotify, outside Sonos, they didn't support gapless playback either. It was a huge improvement when they fixed it.)

With the Bluesound though, if you use Spotify via their BluOS app, it is gapless... It's just playback from official Spotify app to Spotify Connect input of the Bluesound that is not gapless.

That's the only reason I didn't want to discuss the Sonos app when you mentioned it earlier and I only wanted to focus on official Spotify app to Sono Connect via Spotify Connect.

Anyway thanks for quickly testing a couple albums for me! Makes it a risk free purchase now.

Great to see Sonos devices do this properly.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings