Answered

Playing flac over 24/48

Confised amd disappointed 

Im 99% sure sonos under s1 woukd play 24/48 flac so what exciting things have arrived other rhan some room configuration? 

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 June 2020, 20:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi SMB, S1 is unable to play 24-bit audio in any format.

As far as what’s new for high resolution audio with S2, there are a lot of core foundation changes that were made, but for specific new features the following is what’s new in the high resolution world to Sonos:

High Resolution Audio

With S2, Sonos speakers now have support for high resolution audio, 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz for FLAC/ALAC only. This support is for local music libraries shared from computers and network attached drives. We’ve updated the article on Sonos supported music formats here.

The Sonos Arc is a Dolby Atmos soundbar, and S2 brings support for that audio to Sonos for home theater and music. Dolby Atmos can be read from Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby MAT, and Dolby TrueHD.

S1 played it by truncating back to 16 bits.  S2 actually plays it (not that it makes a fiddler’s fig of a difference).  

Are there any ways to downsample 24/192 to 24/48

Does it lose quality? 

Is it easyvyhing to do? 

Cheers

Are there any ways to downsample 24/192 to 24/48

Does it lose quality? 

Is it easyvyhing to do? 

Cheers

Most audio software will do it.  I use foobar2000 - https://www.foobar2000.org/.

As to losing quality, audiophiles will say yes, scientists will say no. 

It is a proven fact that the only thing raising the sample rate does is allow you to sample higher sound frequencies.  The “makes smaller slices so the steps are less jaggy” stuff is nonsense.  Per Nyquist-Shannon, a sampling rate of X gives perfect reproduction of all frequencies up to X/2 .  Now, given that 44.1 kHz (CD sample rate) gives you perfect reproduction of frequencies up to 22.05 kHz, and no human being can hear above 20 kHz, one must ask to what benefit is sampling at 192 when all it gives you over CD is the inaudible sounds from 22.05 to 96 kHz?

So just foobar nothing else thst goes with it? 

So just foobar nothing else thst goes with it? 

Yes.  Just use the converter component. 

Ok thank you only reason I ask is i just looked at something and it said somrthjng about a plug in? Socks or something? 

Sorry to revive a fairly old thread, but on a related note, will the Arc play Multichannel FLAC?

Sorry to revive a fairly old thread, but on a related note, will the Arc play Multichannel FLAC?

Not with any file Sonos can play directly. You might be able to find a smart TV music app that’s able to deliver multichannel to the Arc.

this is sad, im using the S2 app but i still cant play high res flac