Playing Computer Audio Wirelessly to Sonos

I have a Mac desktop which I use to drive the Sonos software. Can I make the Sonos and associated speakers become my computer external speakers? There's a wealth of choices within Sonos (yeah), but sometimes I'd like to broadcast what I'm watching/listening to on the web over these speakers. How can you do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

197 replies

I'm guessing it would be done with the line in, and just select that in the app as the incoming music source... But it would be great if it was wireless too, I'd like to listen to You Tube from my computer into the Sonos Play:5 I just purchased...
Don't want to buy a connect, or play5 to do this. So...

Bump
Have you actually read the thread? There are ways past this but however you do it will incur an Audio delay, which could be very annoying for any Video playing.

You want computer speakers then buy computer speakers.

You want a great multi room audio system then get Sonos and use you computer as a controller.

Simples

Bump
Have you actually read the thread? There are ways past this but however you do it will incur an Audio delay, which could be very annoying for any Video playing.

You want a great multi room audio system then get Sonos and use you computer as a controller.

Simples

This is such a lame response. Why in the world couldn't Sonos speakers have the additional functionality as PC speakers. Watch out Sonos, Bose is hot on your heels.

agree - it's like people are happy to accept less functionality and have two sets of speakers instead of one.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Bummer. I often wish Sonos could be used as external set of speakers for my computer. Is this not possible now because it's technologically impossible to do so? (I'd naively assume that if Sonos can stream music from our computers, it should be able to play whatever is being pumped through the speakers.) Or, could it perhaps be a feature added to the system down the road?
Userlevel 1
received a play5 for Christmas with a bridge, I'll return it tomorrow. .this is stupid that you cant stream from your pc. nice sound but not user friendly at all.. i'm out
Userlevel 1
ridiculous
received a play5 for Christmas with a bridge, I'll return it tomorrow. .this is stupid that you cant stream from your pc. nice sound but not user friendly at all.. i'm out
...just bought mine today, and feel disappointed and betrayed. As far as I understand, allowing devices to use the Sonos system as an audio output would not be hard to achieve technically by Sonos. Appears that Sonos wants to keep you using their app to gain more knowledge, more control and by that their own-controlled music-media. Definately NOT COOL. Isn't it enough we pay for your awesome speakers?
Userlevel 1
Wow you people are going OTT as Tabitha said it is a "sound System" a reasonable sounding system, but it is not HiFi!it is overly Coloured to make it sound good it is def not a Mercedes. Our computers Mac or even pc are capable of producing a good quality sound, way in advance of what Sonos is capable of!
Sonos is a good System product & should be capable of playing anything from the computer if the developers got their .... in gear & make it work! As with tech support they are reasonable but we do pay a premium for the product.... come on Sonos -- Develop!
If I had a quid for every programmer who's come on this board over the last 7 years saying something's 'stupidly easy' ....

Ask yourself this: why haven't Sonos done this before? Because there are higher business priorities.
If I had a quid for every programmer who's come on this board over the last 7 years saying something's 'stupidly easy' ....

Ask yourself this: why haven't Sonos done this before? Because there are higher business priorities.

If I had a dollar for every person claiming to be a "programmer" who couldn't set the clock on a microwave, I'd be retired. Starting with the guy at work who insisted on sitting in on engineering meetings because he's "been writing some pretty sophisticated Excell macros."
I was given a pair of Sonos speakers as a gift (very generous). I'd love to make the system work but frankly it's not worth my time. The deal breaker for me is getting tied to proprietary software for audio output. Even using a work-around or spending more money on hardware, there isn't an open solution for this product. Inevitably, you're tied to the Sonos app somewhere along the system chain. Sorry, I don't want Sonos (or Apple for that matter) to bottleneck my hardware solutions. I'll return the product and wait for a viable alternative.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
This does it without wires for free:

http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/download/
Actually, they mocked computer speakers for interrupting music with system sounds and announcements, something which would also plague Sonos speakers if they were able to stream from a computer. It seems like it was an argument against using them in that capacity and not really ironic, IMHO.
I was given a SONOS5 for christmas. I have now spent the whole evening trying to get it to play wirelessly from WMP on my PC to no avail - as all others seem to have failed. So it's either a lead between my pc (which undermines the whole point of getting a wireless system), using WMP's rather crappy "play to" function (which doesn't do what I want), setting up a rather complex radio station fix (which I don't quite understand) or taking it back to the shop and getting something that does the main thing I want it to do - and my partner who bought it for me assumed it would do. Having read the whole of this thread, I can't believe SONOS have ignored this issue for so long. But I'm not looking forward to telling my partner I'd prefer to return it. So maybe I'll have to try that radio fix.
Just been given PLAY:1 - was really happy as i needed a little speaker like this and was hoping to ditch ageing computer speakers as well. Alas it doesn't work. What ??? Really disappointing, there is hardly any technology barrier for doing this, just provide a windows/mac driver and let it stream. Extremely annoying and as I can see from the number of replies on this thread I'm far from alone.

Bump

Simples

This is such a lame response. Why in the world couldn't Sonos speakers have the additional functionality as PC speakers. Watch out Sonos, Bose is hot on your heels.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can certainly use a Play:5 as one heck of a great computer speaker.

I use a Sonos Connect in between my computer and speakers to turn my computer speakers into Sonos speakers and also have the advantage then of playing anything from my computer to any sonos speaker in my house (same as Play:5 would do if I didn't already have a pretty decent 4 speaker computer set).
(giving this a bump) yeah, i'd like to hear of any non-line in options... couldn't find any workarounds online.
i am trying to do the same thing without much luck
Userlevel 1
A connect box is ridiculously expensive to use for that purpose! 250 squid to hear your neeps & bleeps, seeing many of us use our computers as players etc. def this is drawback wit Sonos, all you techies out there there must be a cheaper way?
I agree with Tabitha, haven't done as yet, but realise that at present this is the only way of achieving this - but it does then allow for the PC to become part of the larger Sonos network. However, I have been thinking/wishing, would it be possible for Sonos to be brave and open up the Sonos software to allow the PC to become part of the Sonos network (output wise) and therefore allow output from the PC onto the Sonos network, Im sure the programmers could achieve this, but there is no hardware purchase for Sonos to gain from (there could be so many more people joining the Sonos experience and then buying into it though!!).
Totally agree. However they will never catch up to the big boys in that department. Not the greatest corporate decision ever made. Sonos would sell a lot more speakers if they would give the consumer the choice to play music from which ever audio source they choose. They might end up being considered a major player in the Audio market.
 I own a Restaurant and am regretting purchasing 1 play 5, 3 play 3, 2 play 1, 1 Tv sound Bar, 1 sub. At least I got a free bridge! lol After spending countless hours organizing 200 gigs of music, I just want to play it through iTunes. It really leaves a sour taste. Unfortunate because they sound good( especially with the sub) Kinda wish I had waited for the Bose wireless....
And another thing....349$ for a remote? how bout a much simpler remote that controls basic functions... priced at 30$ (which is still expensive)
Maybe one day Sonos will give everyone what they want. Until then, Anyone want to buy a sound system? 😉
Thanks Lewis Rodger! Nicecast seems to work fine. Even when you unlock the full version (via purchasing a license key for $59) will be cheaper than buying a Sonos Connect. For free you will get only 1 hour of broadcasting time. The only other option is to buy an Apple Airport Device to use AirPlay (via a Sonos Bridge) to stream to your Sonos Play 3 speakers, right?
I think this point has already been made on this page somewhere, but if we must mention it again then so be it. It's not about research. We are simply telling Sonos what their customers want.

We live in a market driven world, we are the market. If Sonos wants to survive, they need to listen to us - the people that drive their business and keep it alive. This shouldn't be a difficult addition to their controllers, and it looks like it's a huge negative for Sonos at the moment.

Simple as.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I think this point has already been made on this page somewhere, but if we must mention it again then so be it. It's not about research. We are simply telling Sonos what their customers want.

We live in a market driven world, we are the market. If Sonos wants to survive, they need to listen to us - the people that drive their business and keep it alive. This shouldn't be a difficult addition to their controllers, and it looks like it's a huge negative for Sonos at the moment.

Simple as.

I agree. We're not asking a car to fly. We're asking a system which wirelessly streams sound to do so directly from our computers -- to the technologically unsophisticated, a seemingly small stretch from its current functionality. A better analogy is perhaps owning a car which only turns left, and the manufacturer expecting us to make three lefts to turn right.

I'm fine with Sonos not providing this enhancement, so long as Sonos can tell us why we're unreasonable to expect them to do so. Far as I can tell, nobody from Sonos has actually spoken up and told us why our expectations are unrealistic.Perhaps the various operating systems don't allow access to the general audio-out signal ...

Btw, I'm 100% happy w what Sonos currently does, just wish it could do a bit more for me. I'm not about to throw it in the garbage and swap to something else. You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands first!
Userlevel 1
I seee now that sonos has done their research, not what we want but to anger people who have actually spent money on the bridge as the new software seemingly  doesn't need the bridge anymore, maybe it has been developed for a while but earning another 30 quid in their pocket per unit! it has def confirmed my advice to people who ask if they should buy Sonos........