Playing Computer Audio Wirelessly to Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

197 replies

airsonos works for me. It is not a scam.

Although the five seconds delay is a bit unbearable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I thought airsonos was shutdown with latest iOS.
Well I am using iOS 10.2 and macOS 10.12.2.
I was given a SONOS5 for christmas. I have now spent the whole evening trying to get it to play wirelessly from WMP on my PC to no avail - as all others seem to have failed. So it's either a lead between my pc (which undermines the whole point of getting a wireless system), using WMP's rather crappy "play to" function (which doesn't do what I want), setting up a rather complex radio station fix (which I don't quite understand) or taking it back to the shop and getting something that does the main thing I want it to do - and my partner who bought it for me assumed it would do. Having read the whole of this thread, I can't believe SONOS have ignored this issue for so long. But I'm not looking forward to telling my partner I'd prefer to return it. So maybe I'll have to try that radio fix.
Just been given PLAY:1 - was really happy as i needed a little speaker like this and was hoping to ditch ageing computer speakers as well. Alas it doesn't work. What ??? Really disappointing, there is hardly any technology barrier for doing this, just provide a windows/mac driver and let it stream. Extremely annoying and as I can see from the number of replies on this thread I'm far from alone.

[quote=Stuart_W]
Spending a lot of money on a wireless speaker when you have clear requirements but not bother to research before purchase. More money than sense!

What if you got this given as a gift? One that I'd really like to keep, but since I'll need to buy separate PC speakers anyway I'm finding it hard to justify it. There's only that much space around my desk ...

Surely the stats on this thread should give SONOS the message ???? (63 THOUSAND views !!)
If you want to play computer audio on Sonos you can simply use the free software SonoAir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQiw_UTYr8
That might work for Mac, I can't see a fix for PC. And I have tried the internet radio station fix. That is clunky and is not robust - it keeps lagging, which is useless for listening to music. I have failed to get it set up via Bluetooth, because I am still running windows 7 and it seems Bluetooth just can't work with that. (which is even more frustrating that sonos!). So I am still buggered and it looks like a line in is the only way to play it. Which is absurd. As someone points out - nearly 70,000 views implies quite a few people are having this problem.
Userlevel 2
I use screen mirroring on my Samsung smart TV, which is connected to a playbar. My new laptop lets me connect to a wireless display, so I choose TV as my sound source. Not only do I get the PC sound to SONOS, but I get a 60" monitor to boot. This may not be practical for some, but it works for me.
Don't want to buy a connect, or play5 to do this. So...

Bump
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Bump
Have you actually read the thread? There are ways past this but however you do it will incur an Audio delay, which could be very annoying for any Video playing.

You want computer speakers then buy computer speakers.

You want a great multi room audio system then get Sonos and use you computer as a controller.

Simples

Bump
Have you actually read the thread? There are ways past this but however you do it will incur an Audio delay, which could be very annoying for any Video playing.

You want a great multi room audio system then get Sonos and use you computer as a controller.

Simples

Ok, now you got me worried as I'm a console gamer. I haven't fully tested my Xbox One with the Sonos setup. I have the playbar, sub and surround sound.

If this works with minimum delay from a console->tv->sonos, then why can't I expect the same minimum delay from PC?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Bump

Simples

Ok, now you got me worried as I'm a console gamer. I haven't fully tested my Xbox One with the Sonos setup. I have the playbar, sub and surround sound.

If this works with minimum delay from a console->tv->sonos, then why can't I expect the same minimum delay from PC?

Because it's designed for the game use case you describe but not the PC setup

Bump

Simples

Because it's designed for the game use case you describe but not the PC setup

Ok, what's the delay between a line-in to audio out of the speakers? This is the best-case scenario if it doesn't want an added encode/decode phase with adding a station in between? Is it close or the same as the console?

Can anyone give details except for this design cause that everyone seems so readily to give as reason?

Ok, what's the delay between a line-in to audio out of the speakers? This is the best-case scenario if it doesn't want an added encode/decode phase with adding a station in between? Is it close or the same as the console?

Can anyone give details except for this design cause that everyone seems so readily to give as reason?

The analog line-in delay is around 70 ms in uncompressed mode, more in compressed mode. The Playbar is less than half that, and is below the threshold for the vast majority of people sensitive to lip-sync type delays.

The reason for this is the stream needs to be buffered for transmission to other rooms/speakers so as to account for any transmission errors/delays. The Playbar is equipped with low latency 5 GHz wireless for the surrounds and Sub, which is why the buffer time is much reduced. Unfortunately, all other Sonos devices do not have 5 GHz radios. Even if they did have 5 GHz, Sonos has found that when you try to traverse through walls and floors (something the 5.1 setup does not have to do), 5 GHz is not up to the task with sufficient reliability.

The analog line-in delay is around 70 ms in uncompressed mode, more in compressed mode. The Playbar is less than half that, and is below the threshold for the vast majority of people sensitive to lip-sync type delays.

The reason for this is the stream needs to be buffered for transmission to other rooms/speakers so as to account for any transmission errors/delays. The Playbar is equipped with low latency 5 GHz wireless for the surrounds and Sub, which is why the buffer time is much reduced. Unfortunately, all other Sonos devices do not have 5 GHz radios. Even if they did have 5 GHz, Sonos has found that when you try to traverse through walls and floors (something the 5.1 setup does not have to do), 5 GHz is not up to the task with sufficient reliability.

Awesome!

What if I was able to connect ethernet to all the SONOS devices? Should I keep it to one hub connection between all SONOS devices?

Am I guaranteed a lowest latency time doing this? Most of my house is wired up. I can add more wires but knowing the details will help me decide on whether to do it or not.
I am afraid that the nature of the network connection - wired or wireless - has no impact on audio lag.
Here is a way around...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6852766?tstart=0

Bump

Simples

This is such a lame response. Why in the world couldn't Sonos speakers have the additional functionality as PC speakers. Watch out Sonos, Bose is hot on your heels.

Bump

Simples

Bump

Simples

This is such a lame response. Why in the world couldn't Sonos speakers have the additional functionality as PC speakers. Watch out Sonos, Bose is hot on your heels.

agree - it's like people are happy to accept less functionality and have two sets of speakers instead of one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can certainly use a Play:5 as one heck of a great computer speaker.

I use a Sonos Connect in between my computer and speakers to turn my computer speakers into Sonos speakers and also have the advantage then of playing anything from my computer to any sonos speaker in my house (same as Play:5 would do if I didn't already have a pretty decent 4 speaker computer set).
Thanks, Chris. I actually stumbled on this with my Sonos 3. I have no idea how I did it, but sure enough, Sonos was available as a speaker for my PC.