Playing Computer Audio Wirelessly to Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

197 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello, The only supported way to do this would be to plug the audio output of your PC into the Line-in on a Sonos device. More information on using Line-in can be found on the Answers page linked below. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/kw/line-in
what if my new Sonos speaker doesn't have line-in?
this may help - an app called nicecast will take the sound from your computer and broadcast it on the network, then add a custom radio station on the sonos system and it should work, indydave talks about it here - http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=16094
Jamcast.  https://getjamcast.com/
I am guessing you could add Bluetooth in there. A BT radio on the computer. There are a lot of options if you do not have that built in. Then a BT audio receiver like (http://www.amazon.com/Britelink-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Portable/dp/B0059M4G9K) to hook to your line in. This allows for the same wireless concept. Of course, it seems a 5 is required as tat is the only one that seems to have a line in. But there are convert cables to convert to stereo rca jacks.
Unless your BT setup support aptX (and this is not the case of your audio receiver) the intrinsic latency of A2TP will ruin your experience if you want to stream the sound of a movie or a game to your Sonos.
Userlevel 1
I seee now that sonos has done their research, not what we want but to anger people who have actually spent money on the bridge as the new software seemingly  doesn't need the bridge anymore, maybe it has been developed for a while but earning another 30 quid in their pocket per unit! it has def confirmed my advice to people who ask if they should buy Sonos........
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am guessing you could add Bluetooth in there. A BT radio on the computer. There are a lot of options if you do not have that built in. Then a BT audio receiver like (http://www.amazon.com/Britelink-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Portable/dp/B0059M4G9K) to hook to your line in. This allows for the same wireless concept. Of course, it seems a 5 is required as tat is the only one that seems to have a line in. But there are convert cables to convert to stereo rca jacks.
can you recommend any bluetooth receiver? the ones with aptX dont have any lag? i'd like to watch youtube videos from my pc and have the sound over my sonos...does this work properly. thanks for any experiences.
Userlevel 1
I seee now that sonos has done their research, not what we want but to anger people who have actually spent money on the bridge as the new software seemingly  doesn't need the bridge anymore, maybe it has been developed for a while but earning another 30 quid in their pocket per unit! it has def confirmed my advice to people who ask if they should buy Sonos........

Dont!

their short sightedness of not using as comp speakers & not accepting HD files because a techie said you cannot hear the difference??? let us bow down to the great gods of sound & technology@! it is not what we want its what they want!

Correction: it's not what YOU want. However, it is what I want and I'm very happy with my separate Sonosnet.
Userlevel 1

of course its what I want, i wouldn't have made comment if it wasn't & the reason I am in this thread is that many people here want it also!!
Adding my two cents in--I'm not purchasing any more sonos speakers until I can do this. I didn't realize how much I'd want to do this until I got my sonos:3.
Me neither!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here and as Sonos didn't bother telling us anything about future development, I actually sold my system last week. It's just too limited which is the reason why we barely use it.
I discovered that Bose at least provide a line-in for all of their speakers, unlike Sonos. Given that Sonos is completely ignoring this issue, not even announced a plan to add a line-in to their Play:1 Play:3 (maybe they can't afford the added $5 cost ?)
So instead of purchasing new Sonos devices, I'll sell my stuff on eBay and will replace everything with Bose. That's very disappointing especially since so far Sonos did a good job to stream music in my house but is completely retarded when it comes to computer connectivity.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I discovered that Bose at least provide a line-in for all of their speakers, unlike Sonos. Given that Sonos is completely ignoring this issue, not even announced a plan to add a line-in to their Play:1 Play:3 (maybe they can't afford the added $5 cost ?)
So instead of purchasing new Sonos devices, I'll sell my stuff on eBay and will replace everything with Bose. That's very disappointing especially since so far Sonos did a good job to stream music in my house but is completely retarded when it comes to computer connectivity.

Not only computer. The simple fact that it is impossible to just listen to a youtube video on your smartphone via the Sonos system, or listen to free spotify, is retarded.
this may help - an app called nicecast will take the sound from your computer and broadcast it on the network, then add a custom radio station on the sonos system and it should work, indydave talks about it here - http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=16094
I don't understand if there are apps that broadcast your system sound to your devices, why doesn't Sonos app do that? pfff...I am going to return my Sonos
Userlevel 2
Badge
gosh, didn't you read the responses to our earlier inquests?? sonos knows what's good for us and it's stupid to expect to be able to stream PC audio through the system, besides there are a number of convoluted workarounds available.
Userlevel 1
Badge
@reagan add the /s for sarcasm. Not everybody knows that you're joking.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thx, noted. Had hoped the tone was sufficient.

Sad that this thread has been active for 2 years with Sonos apparently refusing to acknowledge that this is functionality desired by their growing user base, let alone dignify us with an official response or explanation. That said, my Sonos collection continues to grow as well ...  

/ns
Userlevel 1
Badge
As this is basically a must-have feature for me, I sold my Sonos system last month. I won't buy anything Sonos again (or suggest it to someone) until this basic feature that everyone expects is working.
Missing this obvious function starts to be painfull especially when more and more music is available on YouTube and I would love to see picture from a laptop and hear a proper music from my stereo system. Probably that may be bypassed by some dongle which can output line-out, but that will be crazy to set up such patched system.

Encoding latency would cause the youtube audio to be out of sync with the video.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Right now, I have my (Google) Chromecast plugged in to my USB port on my TV (if you don't have this port, then this doesn't apply) playing perfect, wireless, real-time audio from my Mac > to my TV > to my Sonos speakers as I type this. If more orgs could get on the Chromecast train (Amazon just created their own version) a good part of this could be solved shortly. Sonos could link up with either Google or Amazon and integrate all of their providers (currently Chromecast has YouTube, HBO, and basically all websites).

Part of me thinks this might have been why Slownos hasn't said anything about the subject. They don't want to show their hand to Amazon and other competition. Hey, if it keeps the price down and you win in the end, good on ya' Sonos. If not, then that's messed up and Santa won't give you any presents this year...and eventually you'll crumble as a business because others are able to quickly listen and adapt to customer demands.

Thank you about a hint on latency - it may be true.

Chromecast which I also have, is switching off the playoff on my PC and takes a direct stream from YouTube (so that PC acts only as a remote, not a source). That is why there is no latency problem.

I've read this entire thread but I'm not sure my situation is being addressed accurately. I have a mac that is our existing music station via iTunes. Works fine but I want to add "whole house" audio. Our existing mac has speakers connected to from the headphone jack and we love playing music straight from the computer. Seems logical that I can add Sonos to the rest of the house, play music from the computer both through the computer speakers and the rest of the house. Why should I have to run a line from computer to a $400 connect and then to my computer speaker system? That's just stupid.
I'm ready to buy $2K worth of Sonos equipment but this may be a deal breaker.
received a play5 for Christmas with a bridge, I'll return it tomorrow. .this is stupid that you cant stream from your pc. nice sound but not user friendly at all.. i'm out
Joel Ransom, that is a pretty poor analogy. This thing is a toaster that only has one setting even though it has the hardware to have multiple. Sonos products have the ability to stream any audio the computer outputs, the company just chooses to lock those doors and hide the key from the consumer. It's like buying a Ferarri and only being able to use XM radio, or only plug in an iPod, rather than any mp3 player. People pay too much for a sonos system to not be able to do things any other speaker system can do. I am sorry for my parents for having bought this system. If they had consulted me, I could have set up a system that does everything this does and more for half the price.
I bought one for my mom that uses maintly iTunes and thought "awesome".
Then opened youtube... nothing
Then I googled THE question...
... and ended up here
"Sonos, the awesome complex sound system you cannot use as a plain old dumb speaker"