Playing Computer Audio Wirelessly to Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

197 replies

Dear All With Sonos controller 4.2 installed on a PC look at the right click options on music/podcast files (whether wav or mp3). You will see the option to send the file to a speaker or a device, such as a connect. I find this a useful way to play non-indexed files though I accept it's not a workaround for UStream or to listen to beeps however, if it's on you computer you can broadcast it via the SonosNet. Never underestimate the power of a right click!
I got an email about a reply from Sonos on a slightly different thread: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/allow_sonos_to_monitor_what_computer_is_streaming?utm_content=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification
I got an email about a reply from Sonos on a slightly different thread that discusses the same topic, at least we have had some sort of response now. Although, those who want to get a word in might have more luck with that thread instead of this one:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/allow_sonos_to_monitor_what_computer_is_streaming?

Good luck people, let's see if we can make a great product better!
I think this point has already been made on this page somewhere, but if we must mention it again then so be it. It's not about research. We are simply telling Sonos what their customers want.

We live in a market driven world, we are the market. If Sonos wants to survive, they need to listen to us - the people that drive their business and keep it alive. This shouldn't be a difficult addition to their controllers, and it looks like it's a huge negative for Sonos at the moment.

Simple as.

If you want PC speakers, buy some PC speakers. If you want PC integrated into the Sonos SYSTEM then buy a Sonos Connect and plug your PC speakers into it.

The solution to what people are moaning about in this thread already exists, and has done for many many years.  Its not hard people.

Sonos is an audiophile business that has opened up to the mass market with its Play units. Its core function is a MULTI ROOM MUSIC SYSTEM. The award winning wireless part comes from playing one Sonos unit to another - for playing music in different rooms at precisely the same time.

So asking for a Sonos unit to perform a core function of playing the sound of cats surfboarding on youtube, or whatever, IS asking for a Ford to fly.

They may well make a unit specifically for the PC geeks, just as they have added hardware like the TV soundbar, and also services and functionality FOR FREE since they came out in the mid naughties.

Until then, use the Connect units, that is what they are there for.
Userlevel 1
I think this point has already been made on this page somewhere, but if we must mention it again then so be it. It's not about research. We are simply telling Sonos what their customers want.

We live in a market driven world, we are the market. If Sonos wants to survive, they need to listen to us - the people that drive their business and keep it alive. This shouldn't be a difficult addition to their controllers, and it looks like it's a huge negative for Sonos at the moment.

Simple as.

the same old thing, throw loads of money at a Connect unit just for what should be a simple task! I also do challenge the Audiophile rating, it is not, halfway between a good hifi unit & Musak!!
the derogatory term re cats surfboarding is un-needed & as for fords flying, watch Haarry Potter, his flying car was a ford Anglia.... Anything is possible!
The easiest and best way is by streaming Bluetooth from your PC to a BT receiver like the Sony BM10 (£40). Just connect the BM10 to a play 5 line in, connect to the BM10 from your PC/mac/phone/tab or whatever. Select Line-in from the controller app, select BT speakers on your device if required and start watching/listening to YouTube.
Userlevel 1
what if you havent got a play 5 or iconnect?/
Userlevel 2
Badge

Simple as.

Agreed. I have a Sonos in my office and it's wonderful. However, while working I occasionally want to listen to podcasts which I can't find on Sonos's native sources. Seems a bit silly to have to do so on sub-standard PC speakers when I've got a Sonos in the room -- but not within cord reach.

I hadn't considered the Bluetooth receiver approach that Joe mentions below. Seems like perhaps a reasonable stop-gap solution until Sonos pull their fingers out. However, reviews are highly mixed as it seems that Bluetooth compresses the signal and too much fidelity is lost. Guessing for that sound quality I might as well stick w the PC speakers. Anyone else have opinions there? Also, in principle, I am resistant to throwing more money at an expensive system that should perform the reasonable task I'm asking of it ... at least nobody has yet convinced me that it can't or shouldn't.

And, Damon, you're a troll.
Userlevel 2

Simple as.

I download my podcasts to a shared area on my network - they update in the background - and Sonos finds them in my Music Library under the genre "Podcasts".  The only downside is I have to manually weed them as my podcast management software doesn't know I've listened to them, but otherwise it works well.

Finding podcast software that lets you use a network location proved more challenging than I expected. I use MediaMonkey for this and managing my music library generally.

Simple as.

Reagan, I'm not a 'troll'. I have a perfect setup of Sonos throughout my house, including sound coming from my pc to bose speakers via a Sonos connect.

If people want to splash out money on a high end music system they should do some research first, and buy the correct tool for what they want.

Buying a play 3 for pc output within a Sonos system is just stupid, they were never designed for that job.

Output from a pc -> Sonos Connect -> speakers of your choice. Voila, pc is integrated within Sonos system with no loss of quality.

Or continue trying to smash a round peg into a square hole.

It's your choice.
Userlevel 2

Simple as.

It is easy to broadcast your PC-sound as a radio signal (a number of different software-applications are available), and have Sonos pick it up and play it as anything else (with a small lag, though). 

I described it in details somewhere else in here.

Vola, round peg into a square hole.

All we want is, that Sonos integrate the broadcast feature into their own application.

I don't really care now, since I solved the problem, but alot of other people don't know how to do it.

Why are Sonos not solving this simple problem? They won't answer, and I suspect it is a management decision, but your guess is as good as mine.

But things like that makes me uncomftable wrt the intentions of the company, and I'm not buying any more Sonos products until I get a good explanation on the issue above.
Userlevel 1
Badge
this may help - an app called nicecast will take the sound from your computer and broadcast it on the network, then add a custom radio station on the sonos system and it should work, indydave talks about it here - http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=16094
is there a Windows equivalent?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Such a premium and expensive system should allow the most basic stuff. I watch create and watch movies on my PC and i want to preview and play them with the quality of SONOS. Please(!) make this happen.
Sonos has to prioritise its development activities. There is a vocal minority calling for Bluetooth to be added to Sonos, and another one calling for Airplay. Meanwhile Sonos is getting on with what it thinks will be best for its business, such as doing away for the need for a Bridge, and developing new products. I don't want the extra functionality or the loading on the price that adding PC sound streaming would involve. If it really were easy and minimal cost and important enough to sufficient potential customers, Sonos would have done it by now. Do you all think Sonos is staffed by idiots? Sonos does what it does brilliantly and fully justifies what it cost me. If it doesn't do what a particular potential customer wants they can buy another product.
I bow to your superior knowledge as to how easy and cost-free it would be. And I will let you fight it out with the Sonos users who think that clearly Airplay should be prioritised over Bluetooth. And if Sonos is really artificially limiting the system's capabilities for no good reason then we will both have to watch them crash and burn as a company. But they seem to be doing OK for now. And as to the price issue, if I pay a high price I expect a high quality system that does what it claims to do and what I want it to do. That's what I got. I didn't expect it to stream my PC audio any more than I expected it to make me a cup of coffee. High price does not mean does everything a particular customer happens to want it to do. Not that I think it's that high priced. Have you seen the prices Bose charges for its mediocre products? You might be able to stream PC audio to some those but then you'd have to listen to a Bose speaker.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I bow to your superior knowledge as to how easy and cost-free it would be. And I will let you fight it out with the Sonos users who think that clearly Airplay should be prioritised over Bluetooth. And if Sonos is really artificially limiting the system's capabilities for no good reason then we will both have to watch them crash and burn as a company. But they seem to be doing OK for now. And as to the price issue, if I pay a high price I expect a high quality system that does what it claims to do and what I want it to do. That's what I got. I didn't expect it to stream my PC audio any more than I expected it to make me a cup of coffee. High price does not mean does everything a particular customer happens to want it to do. Not that I think it's that high priced. Have you seen the prices Bose charges for its mediocre products? You might be able to stream PC audio to some those but then you'd have to listen to a Bose speaker.
listen man, i get it - you love Sonos. I do too. It's a great system and please, don't compare it to Bose. Sonos a few leagues above.

But - as you can do what i suggest (streaming pc audio to sonos) is possible with freeware tools (and because i actually am a developer) i can tell you this is a software issue, it's not complicated and it should be added to the Sonos PC/Mac app.

Sonos is not limiting the system "for no good reason". They have either other priorities or they have a business strategy issue that we don't know of - e.g. stop pirated movies/music to be played through Sonos. We don't know until Sonos tells us.

High price does - in fact - mean it should do what customers expect it to. I bought a 2k€ system, and i expect the speakers to play whatever i want them to play - especially when every dumb-speaker can do that as well. (And please, don't tell me i should buy one of those it's a silly argument and the ability what audio source gets played has nothing to do with quality (which is why I bought Sonos)).

And the Airplay vs Bluetooth issue: i have Apple devices as well. Sonos could and should add Airplay. But if you would know what you're asking, you'd see that supporting Airplay and supporting Bluetooth isn't that far off - and every AirPlay device is able to use Bluetooth, but there is a MUCH bigger customerbase for Bluetooth - but you know that. I may be wrong, but i think Bluetooth support is not possible with a software update (i don't know whats build into Bridge or Connect). It needs a hardware upgrade or workarounds like using Airplay Devices or another device that's connected to Sonos Connect.

You're being very illogical just because i critizise your favourite brand. Bluetooth and pc as audio source are the most basic tasks any speakers could/should do. And with Sonos' price-tag and fantastic build-quality, it's a no-brainer that it could easily be included.
OK let's call a truce - I'm not sure myself why I got so angry. I still feel that what customers should expect a system to do is what the manufacturer says it will do. As you say, let's agree that we both love Sonos, that more functionality is always good IF it can be done at low cost, and that an explanation from Sonos as to why it hasn't happened yet would be welcome.
Userlevel 1
OK let's call a truce - I'm not sure myself why I got so angry. I still feel that what customers should expect a system to do is what the manufacturer says it will do. As you say, let's agree that we both love Sonos, that more functionality is always good IF it can be done at low cost, and that an explanation from Sonos as to why it hasn't happened yet would be welcome.
It stilll fascinates me as to why Sonos will not tell us why it cant be used as PC speakers? most of us do have a fair smattering of techie knowledge! I bought Sonos 3's assuming it would eventually 1) increase its basic bitrate, they came back with you cannot hear any higher if it was able to be increased - rubbish I can!  2) they havent even come back to us as to why it cant be used as PC speakers, I am dissapointed & only use my sonos as an alarm clock to wake me in the mornimng If I want quality HiFi I use my Krell, if I want PC speakers I have bought a B&W Zeppelin-- that works!  I do like the sound of Sonos but.....
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've looked around and there are at least 5 different threads on this same subject (i.e. Computer as Sonos Audio Source, Play 1 as computer speaker, etc.). Sonos say's they've "answered" these by claiming that those customers who happen to have a Play 5 or Connect can use analog (!?!) wires to plug their laptop to the aforementioned device. They have also provided workarounds like Jamcast and other streaming services, the good ones of course require a paid membership. I know from joining and following these Sonos customer concerns that as a customership, we feel short-changed. I went from loving Sonos, to being annoyed, to now where I tell people not to buy Sonos and instead look at Sony, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, and other emerging options. Either Sonos has: 1) some backassward corporate agenda that's preventing them from adding this SIMPLE FUNCTION, 2) they want us Play 1 and Play 3 owners to comply,wire-up our "wireless" system and cough up even more $ for the Connect and Play 5, or 3) they are unable to figure out how to roll-out this feature (i.e. too stupid). With all that said, and forgive the rant here, the most painful thing is the lack of respect they give their paying customers. We've been on these threads for over a year now and all we've gotten in response is that something is "under consideration". Sonos - I hope someone over there reads this and realizes that your lack of an adequate response to this major customer demand may in the end, be your demise. Bose and the big boys want this market share, and don't think your gear is all that special - cause it's not. Get a clue. Make it happen.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've looked around and there are at least 5 different threads on this same subject (i.e. Computer as Sonos Audio Source, Play 1 as computer speaker, etc.). Sonos say's they've "answered" these by claiming that those customers who happen to have a Play 5 or Connect can use analog (!?!) wires to plug their laptop to the aforementioned device. They have also provided workarounds like Jamcast and other streaming services, the good ones of course require a paid membership. I know from joining and following these Sonos customer concerns that as a customership, we feel short-changed. I went from loving Sonos, to being annoyed, to now where I tell people not to buy Sonos and instead look at Sony, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, and other emerging options. Either Sonos has: 1) some backassward corporate agenda that's preventing them from adding this SIMPLE FUNCTION, 2) they want us Play 1 and Play 3 owners to comply,wire-up our "wireless" system and cough up even more $ for the Connect and Play 5, or 3) they are unable to figure out how to roll-out this feature (i.e. too stupid). With all that said, and forgive the rant here, the most painful thing is the lack of respect they give their paying customers. We've been on these threads for over a year now and all we've gotten in response is that something is "under consideration". Sonos - I hope someone over there reads this and realizes that your lack of an adequate response to this major customer demand may in the end, be your demise. Bose and the big boys want this market share, and don't think your gear is all that special - cause it's not. Get a clue. Make it happen.
amen.

To the issue: i am now able to stream PC audio to the speakers. This is fine for Spotify or MP3's. But the main point: Videos, Movies, Stuff i watch on Youtube and SkyGo, or Games, is impossible due to the delay.

I'm not willing to pay over 400€ for a Connect just because of that. I'd rather not invest in Sonos as my home speaker system and look at competitors. I'll research for some time. I'll chose whatever comes first: an acceptable solution from Sonos or a viable competitor speaker system.
Userlevel 2
>>They have also provided workarounds like Jamcast and other streaming services, the good ones of course require a paid membership.<<

If you are looking for a good and free solution, you might try "Stream-what-you-hear", which I found the other day:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/a_howto_sonos_pc_speaker_free_with_stream_what_you_hear

More simple than Jamcast, and to me it seems to work fine.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I use Stream-what-you-hear. As i said it's ok for Music. But impossible for movies because of the delay.
Userlevel 2
Sure; as you said long after I did :-)

Anyway, spreading the word about Stream-what-your-hear seems necessary.  A lot of people will benefit, I think.
If you have the PLAYBAR connected to a TV and add an APPLE TV to that same television, you can stream to the PLAYBAR from your iTunes  via the Apple TV, then have your other Sonos speakers grouped with the PLAYBAR.  

I know not optimal design, but since you do have the PLAYBAR this is one route. 

Another is not iTunes but rather Google Music -  I switched to it when MOG shut down and love it compared to iTunes.  It lets me upload my personal library as well as unlimited tracks from Googles 30M+ song library, and can create playlists from both sources.  You can stream directly to Sonos from Google Music from an Android device.  This has been my latest passion but previously was playing from iTunes via the PLAYBAR / AppleTV at times when I wanted that capability.  

Hope it helps 🙂
This situation is really ridiculous, I need to replace the speakers of one of my computers (I have three computers at home) and the first thing I though was to purchase a Play:3 or 2 Play:1 to simultaneously extend my existing Sonos system in the house.
What a disappointment :(
I heard people mention that there are competing product doing that, what are they ? So far I have only a Play:5 and two Play:3 in the kitchen, living room and bathroom, but I would rather shift to an alternate solution if it is also supporting my computers and allow me to cover all the house AND my computers.
Userlevel 2
The situation is indeed ridiculous. I bought two Play:1s as a high quality replacement of my PC-speakers for, among other things, video editing,  (yeah yeah, I did not do my homework). The selling point to me was, to get rid of wires.  Last week, I gave up, and replaced my headset with normal no-name jack-connected PC-speakers, and have not used the Sonos since then. And I have never had so many wires :-(

To me, the Sonos system sits between two chairs. It cannot fully serve the purpose of a casual sound-source if you use your computer a lot. And it would not be my choice of a high quality HiFi-solution.

It's a shame. The hardware (Play:1) is really impressive for its size and price.

I read somewhere, that Sonos don't want to implement "Computer sound", but instead focus on better GUI. My conclusion is, that Sonos wants a hardware-software lock-in solution like Apple and others. I might be a good solution commercially, but it's not where I want to go. Not even if I liked the Sonos GUI. As it is, the GUI is slow, limited and not intuitive to me.

As for alternatives, I don't think ask.sonos.com is the right place to discuss that topic. I'll take a google-surf instead.