Question

Playing Apple Music from Sonos app does not reflect in Apple's Music app

• 5 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I have set-up a new Sonos One (Gen 2) and enabled the device in the Amazon Alexa app on my iPhone. My default music service is set to Apple Music in the Amazon Alexa app. In the Sonos app I have linked my Apple Music account in 'My Music Services'.

Scenario 1: If I start music directly from Apple's Music app, the Sonos app will reflect the music playing with a 'Started from AirPlay' message. I can then 'takeover' from the Sonos app to pause and skip and this will be reflected in Apple's Music app.

Scenario 2: If I start music from the Apple Music service via the Sonos app (Sonos app > Browse tab > Apple Music) this does not reflect in Apple's Music app -- I cannot start music in the Sonos app, switch to Apple's Music app and then see the music playing or take control to pause / skip etc.

Scenario 3: When I ask Alexa to play music, music successfully plays from the Apple Music service with a 'Started from Amazon Alexa' message in the Sonos app. However, this is only reflected in the Sonos app -- Apple's Music app appears as if nothing is playing.

Are scenarios 2 and 3 expected behaviour? Scenario 3 is my biggest frustration -- if I start music via Alexa, I want to be able to pick up my phone and manage what is playing via Apple's Music app, rather than having to use the Sonos app.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, both expected. The Apple app has no idea what Sonos is playing, or Amazon for that matter, because it is not involved in it.
How are you getting scenario 3 to work? I’m desperately trying to figure this out.
Yes, both expected. The Apple app has no idea what Sonos is playing, or Amazon for that matter, because it is not involved in it.

And this is different behaviour to Spotify, which does know?
How are you getting scenario 3 to work? I’m desperately trying to figure this out.

#1 in the Sonos app I have set Alexa as my voice service: Settings > Room Settings
#2 in the Sonos app I have Apple Music linked: Settings > My Music Services
#3 in the Amazon Alexa app I have Apple Music set as my default music service: Settings > Music > Account Settings > Default Services
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

And this is different behaviour to Spotify, which does know?

Yes. Spotify "play well with others", they have documented APIs, they have Spotify-direct etc. Apple never play well with others, and have close to zero interest in working with other companies. Its a miracle they ever supported Sonos in the first place frankly.

As you can see from other threads, Apple's support for SMAPI (the Sonos music API) is basic at best and lacks so many features that their iTunes-connected proprietory API has.