Question

Playing a group of speakers whitout Wi-Fi?

• 13 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi, i just bought 2 play 5's and a sub to put in my new house, but there is no network yet. Is it possible to play a group of speakers without Wi-Fi? thank you 🆒

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Not without wifi. It is a networked audio system. Without internet, yes. All you need for wifi is a router,
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Presumably network cables could be used to avoid wifi, but you will still need a router?
So with only a router and no internet it will work? I just have to buy a wi-fi router and plug it? Or do i need a modem too and all the connections? Thank you
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
It has been a while since I set anything up but I think you need internet access when you set the system up to get all the players updated to the same point. You could do that at a friends or relatives though? Once it is setup you can definitely use it without internet access, although 95% of my Sonos useage is through the internet.
With a router, and no connection to the outside internet, you'll be able to play your local music (on your phone, or NAS, or computer). You won't, of course, get any data from streaming services.
Presumably network cables could be used to avoid wifi, but you will still need a router?Yes sorry I should have said you need a LAN not wifi
And yes an internet connection is needed for setup and updates. Is this going to be a new Sonos system or has it been operating in previous home?