Question

Playing 24/96 flac files

• 8 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Will today’s system updates allow the playing of 24/96 FLAC files?  Or do I need to purchase S2 devices?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No Sonos devices at this time will play sample rates above 48 kHz.  All S2 compatible devices will play 24 bit files.

Badge

Does that include all sonos s2 speakers that work with that app? or is it just the new ones that only work on the s2 app?

Thanks

Does that include all sonos s2 speakers that work with that app? or is it just the new ones that only work on the s2 app?

Thanks

All speakers will play the files, it is not known if some speakers truncate the files and others play the whole 24 bits.  Though surely with all the hype over Hi-Res audio, one should easily be able to tell a full 24 bit signal from a truncated one?  

Badge

I would have though all the new speakers from sonos 1 onwards would play full fat 24 bit rate. Im looking to upgrade later, but will likely wait until I need a new TV. Then I can get one that qprks with Arc to its fullest.

I have amazon music HD subscription  so would like to get the most out of it. Im glad 24 bit rate is becoming the norm slowly but surely 

24-bit support only applies to local FLAC/ALAC files at present, not to streaming services.

And, reference the thread title, 96kHz or above is not supported.