Playback Speed for Podcasts

• 20 January 2021
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 3

I use PocketCast to listen to podcasts. On the PocketCast app I set playback speed to 2x. But when I connect it to Sonos it only plays back at regular speed. How can I make the Sonos play it back at a faster speed?

45 replies

Userlevel 3

bueller?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @loveydovey.

Thanks for reaching out. We highly appreciate your feedback and requests here in the  community.

Adjusting the playback speed is not currently available, but we’d be glad to log this as a feature request and pass it along with the team.

The development team is monitoring this community and listening to your feedback. 

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.

Userlevel 3

Hi @loveydovey.

Thanks for reaching out. We highly appreciate your feedback and requests here in the  community.

Adjusting the playback speed is not currently available, but we’d be glad to log this as a feature request and pass it along with the team.

The development team is monitoring this community and listening to your feedback. 

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.

Thanks! I did some searching and see this is a feature that has been requested by others for a long time. Please make sure it happens. I have to use my Bose SoundLink to listen to podcasts because Sonos is too slow.

Userlevel 1

I would also like to echo that this is an extremely desirable feature. I frequently find myself listening to podcasts through my phone speaker even though I am sitting right next to a SONOS speaker and have connected pocketcast to SONOS. The reason for this is 100% because I can't choose playback speed on SONOS.

Please add playback speed controls.

Userlevel 1

+1 the reason I bought my move is mainly for podcasts on multiple speakers and Google Assistant. Because there is no support for increasing playback speed, I need to use Google Home instead of my brand new Move. Also, if Sonos would show up at a cast speaker in pocket casts, this would solve the issue as well. 

Userlevel 1

As other users note, this isn’t just a “nice to have” feature. I simply cannot use my Sonos to listen to either podcasts or audiobooks. 

Don’t forget the Audible app in this!

Userlevel 1

Dear Sonos

Logging this as a request for your team is so 2 years ago. This is really preventing me (and seemingly others, based on these threads) from going all-in on more Sonos speakers. Kind of ridiculous to sit around with $3k of speakers only to listen to podcasts from my phone’s speaker phone...

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Another upvote, as I also like to listen to podcasts and audiobooks on multiple speakers throughout my home.  And users have been requesting this feature literally for YEARS.

Variable-speed listening is now simply a very basic-level feature that people expect from any player these days.  (Being able to choose the skip-forward/skip-back times would be nice too, btw)

SONOS is just not keeping up to date in functionality -- Controller upgrades seem to focus on unimportant minutiae, the look of the app, or actually *removing* existing functions. When friends ask about my system now, I’m not as positive as I used to be — I tend to warn them about the things SONOS *can’t* do, rather than talk up what it *can.*

So… someone mentioned Google Home above?  I’ll look into that.  My SONOS system has served me well for years, but I think it’s time to start migrating to something that keeps functionally up-to-date.

I had to return my 2 Sonos one SLs, because this feature is glaringly missing. I was planning to kit out my house indoor and outdoor with Sonos, but will not until this is resolved. 

+1 for this - I don’t care about aesthetic updates when critical features like accelerated playback are missing.

Userlevel 1

+1 how is this extremely basic feature not available? 

I shouldn't have to walk around my house playing podcasts on my phone's speaker when I have $2000 worth of Sonos speakers throughout the place. 

Upvote 

Please add this feature. Sort of shocking to believe this isn’t available in the year of our lord 2021.

I too would really appreciate this feature.

returning my Sonos order with a volume of 3000€ because this feature is not available but an absolute must. 

I dont even understand how this is possibly not available - my 5€ bluetooth box can do this. 

Adding my support for this request.  I am very disappointed that I cannot listen to podcasts through my Sonos system.  I have relied on PocketCast for years for podcasting, and listening to them without playback speed increased just isn’t going to happen.

It's ridiculous that you still don't have this. Seriously regretting my Sonos One purchase just based on the obvious user features you've declined to implement.

+1 for this. I've got used to listening to podcasts at 1.5 speed sonos sounds like everyone is in a slow time warp. Please allow varied speed. Google cast capability would solve this too.

Userlevel 1

What's the status of this? This is BASIC functionality. 

Not that one more person in this pile-on will help, but: what the hell, Sonos? Get on it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not sure if this would be a Sonos function or a function to build for the podcastprovider that uses the Sonos api.

It isn’t, to my knowledge, in the API currently. So Sonos would need to implement it, and roll out an update to all API users. Given the small number of requests this seems to have gotten, I would imagine it’s not high on the list for any Sonos Project person to be pushing to the top of things to be added. Hard to believe it would sell lots more hardware. 

On the other hand, I’m not sure how frequently Sonos updates and pushes a new API out to the various streaming companies, either. 

Any update on this?

Just about every podcast player / streaming service includes a playback speed setting. Seems like it’s a table stakes type of feature.

Thanks

I would really appreciate an update on the timing of this feature. I too would classify this as a must-have, and will otherwise replace my Sonos speakers.

Sonos, can you please please please add this feature?

This feature might be available to you now -- if you can use a native streaming App, then Airplay 2 or Bluetooth to a SONOS player. Obviously, this depends on the device you are using to run the native App and the SONOS players on hand.