Play offline spotify tracks through Sonos controller

• 9 December 2012
  • 33 replies

I have many playlists saved to different devices, android phone, laptop and ipad. When I want to play them through my speakers I have to wait for them to stream when using the bridge playlist. I realise I could use a line in connection but if I'm on the move round the house and want to change tracks or skip one I have to go to the Sonos device with chosen Spotify device attached to it to change the playlist, very frustrating if I'm upstairs and its connected downstairs. If there is no internet connection I am forced to use this method of listening to Spotify. A Sonos device capable of caching Spotify tracks or allowing us to use it in the same way as an ipad with Spotify installed for instance to create an offline selection would be ideal. This would resolve internet issues stopping a friendly way of continuing to use use our Sonos equipment and stop a bad connection causing stutter in the playback of tracks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

thanks Ratty - i certainly appreciate something doesn't make sense somewhere - i thought spotify gave you 30 days of offline content so it doesn't make much sense to me as we are already using SONOS to access spotify, it's simple extra info through an api. but as you said - pointless conversation here. I appear to have setup a SONOS bridge on my iPhone or on my wireless router so now see no point in the little white box? it's a tech
cluster fuck if you ask me 🙂
i thought spotify gave you 30 days of offline content so it doesn't make much sense to me as we are already using SONOS to access spotify, it's simple extra info through an api
I don't quite follow. The Spotify requirement simply means that you must go back online within 30 days "To keep track of the music you’ve played, so we can pay the music rights holders correctly." and "To ensure your subscription is still active."

The API which Sonos uses to the Spotify streaming service has nothing to do with their client app on your phone.

I appear to have setup a SONOS bridge on my iPhone or on my wireless router so now see no point in the little white box?

What little white box? A BRIDGE wired to your router? In many circumstances you don't need that anyway, since Sonos units can connect direct to WiFi. As for "a SONOS bridge on your iPhone", you're surely just talking about a WiFi hotspot?

it's a tech cluster fuck if you ask me :-)

It's business, and the obligation Spotify has to control their own content.
it's clear SONOS and spotify are not playing nice, so many points of contention and 100's of customers are hacked off that you can't ditch the SONOS controller for spotify or use the line out without a great deal of hassle. but thanks ratty your knowledge and response is much appreciated.
I have no inside knowledge but various pronouncements might lead one to speculate that Sonos could be looking into ways of 'casting' from native apps to the players, as the Google Play Music app can from Android today. However, the latter is based on the player streaming direct from Google in the same way it already does, just under the control of the Google Play app rather than Sonos'. Playback from the Google Play Music app's local mobile storage is not possible.

As for "not playing nice", read my earlier comments. It's easier to blame the parties than to accept the commercial realities implied by Spotify's (and other providers') business models.
Hi Barlogboy,

By wifi bridge on the phone, i mean the wifi access point (or hotspot) feature of your smartphone.

Some examples of tutorials to configure a wifi hotspot on your smartphone :
For android : https://www.howtoforge.com/using-an-android-smartphone-as-a-wlan-hotspot
For Iphone : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023
For windows phone : http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-use-windows-phone-as-wi-fi-hotspot-3441166/

Bienf
Hi ratty,

Agree with you. It's for that a try and find a workaround...
The better and elegant way should be for sure that Spotify allows others apps to access offline music by using API. After that, Sonos will have just to update Sonos Controller app.
For all company, technical choices are driving generally by marketing and commercial choices befor. This scenario (Sonos Controller + Spotify in offline mode) is not a priority and affects too few people. I hope one day Spotify or Deezer, or others streaming platform will allow access music in offline mode for others apps. Sometimes, openness to others create no-expected added value.
How to use iPhone as hotspot
http://www.leawo.org/tutorial/how-to-use-iphone-as-hotspot.html
Sonos blocking me from playing offline songs from spotify is not cool. I can walk over to the connect and 'line in' the headphone jack from my phone, and play offline content from spotify. Yet, when I use the sonos app, and play my spotify content, my offline songs are not available.

We have sonos equipment on a yacht. There is wifi throughout. sometimes the 4g router has an internet connection, but not when it's very far offshore. I can play songs stored locally on my phone through spotify, even when far out to sea. But I cannot play my offline spotify songs through sonos the normal way, i have to walk downstairs and plug my phone into the connect. And it appears to be an intentional decision by sonos to block this activity. Going out of your way to prevent your customers from using the equipment we buy from you the way we want to is not a good way to build a loyal customer base.

I trust everyone notices that this thread, with many many people complaining about this is more than 3 years old. I guess that answers the question. 😕