Answered

Play next on album only adds one song

• 23 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Im using a nas drive - if i have a playlist playing - I sometimes want to add an album to the queue

If you browse to an artist - press and hold on an album - and choose ‘play next’

This will add only one song from the album to the queue as the next track

How do you get it to add the whole album to play next?

This behaviour seems incorrect

icon

Best answer by John B 26 March 2020, 18:25

Some potentially important information

1. generate the current queue by selecting songs (either on this device or from a nas drive) - shuffle - this is an important step
  2. Now try and add an album to the queue via selecting play next at album level

The app (android) states 12 songs have been added - however only one song has been added to next

I dont know where the other tracks have been added - they are not anywhere near the top of the queue

Either they have not been added - or have been added somewhere else (maybe at the end)

This looks like a bug in the android app

You have set the queue to shuffle - so it shuffles the new tracks.  Not a bug, just a protocol.  If the queue is not set to shuffle, all tracks are added to play immediately after the currently playing track..

View original

7 replies

I’m not having a go at you - no need to be defensive. Thankyou for taking the time to reason why it works as it does. However to your point - that’s where the difference lies - if you look at shuffle as a mode or as an operation.

All other music apps I know of treat shuffle as an operation. Therefore shuffle once at the start after which everything else behaves as normal. However if you want to treat shuffle as a mode - then what it does might make sense.

It is my opinion that it is wrong. You only shuffle a deck of cards once (per hand or whatever) - you don’t shuffle it on each subsequent operation to that pack of cards. Each hand would take ages if each time you deal a card you have to reshuffle the pack...

I hope by raising the point here that something might get changed for some update in the future - either to modify the existing ‘add next’ or to create an extra option ‘add next no shuffle’.

Until then it is what it is.

I have explained to you what is going on, that was my primary aim.  Your original post did not even mention shuffle.  I have expressed the view that what it does seems reasonable, if not uniquely correct.  I don’t think there is a uniquely correct approach.  It is certainly not obvious to me that:

‘I am in shuffle mode, but I want you to do exactly what you would do in non-shuffle mode and add further tracks in a block’

is more intuitive than:

‘I am in shuffle mode so I want you to interpret ‘Play Next’ in this context as ‘shuffle these tracks in from this point forward’

I don’t think it is bad design at all.  You disagree.  It is what it is.

I disagree. This is not how any other music app works. The shuffle is the initial operation. It shuffles the list of tracks specified to create a playlist. Once complete the shuffle is over. Any subsequent operations to the current playlist should be made independently. In this example add next is then the second operation. It should do what it says - ie add next. Be it a track, album, second playlist. If the Add next doesnt add next - it adds one song next and shuffles the rest - then that behaviour is not intuitive. The button should be called shuffle next rather than add next. If it is not a bug, and is by design - then it is a poor design. It should be changed to be intuitive to the end user.

1. generate the current queue by selecting songs (either on this device or from a nas drive) - shuffle - this is an important step

The app (android) states 12 songs have been added - however only one song has been added to next

I dont know where the other tracks have been added - they are not anywhere near the top of the queue

Either they have not been added - or have been added somewhere else (maybe at the end)

You have set the queue to shuffle - so it shuffles the new tracks.  Not a bug, just a protocol.  If the queue is not set to shuffle, all tracks are added to play immediately after the currently playing track..

thanks for trying - but that does exactly the same - at album level if you choose play next - it will only queue one song from the album to play next. It does not queue all songs on the album to play next

If current song is ‘a’ and you navigate to an album (has tracks ‘b’ ‘c’ ‘d’) and select play next at album level - id expect the queue to be ‘a’ (currently playing), ‘b’, ‘c’, ‘d’

This does not happen. Only one song lets say track ‘c’ is selected

The queue is only ‘a’ (currently playing) ‘c’

With the album displayed in the mobile controller, tap the three dots in the very top right for the necessary options at an album level.