Play music stored on cloud-storage (f.e. DropBox)

• 15 September 2017
  • 16 replies

I have ripped all my CD's an put them on my dropbox so I can access them any-where any-time. But I can't find how to play them on my sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

The only cloud services available are from Google, Amazon, or Apple. Google is free with a Google Play Music free account, Amazon is free with Prime, and Apple requires a paid Apple Music account.
The mentioned services are not cloud-storage services but cloud-streaming services. My question was specific about cloud-storage services. Is there a reason why cloud-storage services are not accessible from the sonos agent ?
I couldn't tell you why, but considering all services are welcome to use the free of charge Sonos Music Partners API to connect via the Sonos app, and other sources such as Plex have down so, that would be a question for DropBox. Sonos certainly cannot implement streaming from their cloud storage without their cooperation, and they have been open to it from others.
https://www.plex.tv might be a good intermediate to stream from DropBox, GoogleDrive or OneDrive.
I have the same problem. What the hell is the poiyof spending over $1000 on a system that cant play whatever audio Is coming out of my phone, like every other sound system that connects with an aux cable or bluetooth?! You sell this supposed ‘great’ technology but it limits what Im able to do. For me (as a musician/producer), playing audio files from dropbox through my sound system is essential to my life (to easily listen to mixes as I work on them), so if thats not possible with sonos its going back to the store!!
Badge
I also have all my music on the cloud based storage system and thought it was a no brainier that it should work with SONOS Wish I had done my homework better before purchase,SONOS sounds great but now I find out I dont really have a need since I cant play my personal music.
I too would LOVE this feature. I can't believe it's not available
Userlevel 2
Google Play Music is the solution:
https://play.google.com/music

Each user is allowed to upload and store up to 50,000 songs, then stream them to any device; mobile, desktop, and yes Sonos.

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/4627259?hl=en
Install Sonoair on your computer and you can play every sound that comes out of your phone, tablet or whatever. It works perfect for me. It’s free!
This also works with iCloud music library and Apple music. Put the song in iTunes, right click and select Upload to iCloud Music Library. It will then show up under Apple Music in Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There are a lot of legal reasons that make it hard for a cloud storage service to stream music from that storage. I am guessing that is why there is no dropbox support on Sonos (or anywhere?). There are no technical reasons, but an awful lot of legal reasons. As others have said, switch to a music service whose lawyers have figured this all out.
Badge
I have all my ripped CD music stored in OneDrive. I'd like to point out that I have an iPhone app called Cloud Beats which can stream the music directly from OneDrive and play it through BlueTooth or whatever. The Sonos app is UNABLE to do the same thing. Does this make any sense? Other than the obvious reason that Sonos simply doesn't want to go to the trouble to implement this functionality?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This makes perfect sense. The app you mention breaks the OneDrive terms of service (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/developer/terms-of-use?view=odsp-graph-online) which says you cannot do this. The app author evidently doesn't care, and that is their call (and risk). However Sonos is a billion-dollar public company, so does care about following legal agreements.
Badge
Doesn't make sense to me. I didn't see anything in that giant wall of text that said I could not play my own music files. It did say I could not SHARE copyrighted content, but I'm not doing that. I just want to play music I have bought for myself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Clearly you have never worked in the music business, or in the software business regarding streaming, and cannot be a lawyer. None of this is as simple as you think it is.