Play music from my PC (streamed from amazon music) on my Sonos one speakers

• 24 December 2020
  • 12 replies

HI 

I want to listen to music on my PC and then be able to stream it wirelessly to my Sonos one speaker pair. However I can not find a way todo this and the only way is to stream it from my phone to the speakers or use the SONOS APP :-/

I use Amazon music on my PC and would ideally like to be able to send the output from Amazon (on my PC) to my Sonos speakers. At present I have to use my £19.99 speakers from Currys which do a far better job than my £500 pair from sonos.

So in other words all I want todo is the most basic of tasks and that is play music on my PC and then onto my Sonos one speakers pair without having to use the  Sonos app and wirelessly. Can this simple task be achieved some how?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

No. Sonos units are not designed as computer speakers.

Since you have a PC in front of you can just use the Sonos desktop controller to instruct the Ones to play Amazon music directly.

Not designed as computer speakers? (How dare I!!) Is there a difference between a music speaker and a computer speaker?

The Sonos APP is awful, cumbersome and doesn't  integrate AMAZON music well! Given the chance to spend my £500 again I would not look twice at Sonos! 

The most basic of tasks, ie streaming music from a PC easily is made difficult/impossible!

Since I have my computer in front of me Ill browse for a decent alternative! 

Not designed as computer speakers? (How dare I!!) Is there a difference between a music speaker and a computer speaker?

The latter are designed to plug into a computer. Sonos aren’t. They’re independent network streaming devices (which as it happens are also computers in their own right) that take instructions from controllers.

There are third party PC solutions such as Stream What You Hear which evidently work with Sonos by presenting it with a local ‘radio station’ from which it can stream PC audio. There would be a slight delay and possibly the odd hiccup. 

You can of course also cast to Sonos directly from the Amazon native app on a phone.

Since I have my computer in front of me Ill browse for a decent alternative! 

If you bought Sonos to act as computer speakers I’m sure you can find something more appropriate.

Playing music files is different from playing computer audio. It isn't a basic task it's a different task. And not one that a system designed for multiroom, multisource, multicontroller play of streamed and local music is suited to. 

If you had read @ratty 's post properly you would have realised you can play Amazon Music from the Amazon app without using the Sonos app at all.

Tbe one thing you got right in your post is that you bought the wrong product for your needs and should now look for something else. 

So would it not be great idea if we could simply “cast” from our PC to the Sonos product. Why is this useful feature not available?

I would like to stream from PC as the music played via my  PC is constant and unbroken. However when I use the Sonos speakers the music is broken, songs often restart and since I purchased these speakers two years ago I haven't been able to listen to an entire album without it failing to play all the way through in one go. But, I am sure you will say this is due to my poor Wifi and nothing todo with the poor buffering capability  of the speakers? 

Yet, another fed up Sonos customer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Depending upon your graphics card capabilities, you can Chrome cast from your PC to Sonos via the Alexa App https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/google-chromecast-third-generation-charcoal-10186048-pdt.html?store=2828&&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=2928af81-b29b-476c-a180-ac5de265a98e&istItemId=wrmmrmqxw&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0042%20(Shopping%20Ads)%20Vision%20Content%20-%20Generic%20Vision%20Content~0042%20(PLA)%20VISION%20CONTENT%20ad%20group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700059632651871&tgtid=0042%20(Shopping%20Ads)%20Vision%20Content%20-%20Generic%20Vision%20Content&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlZH_BRCgARIsAAZHSBnDTetLwNSnYNZLloKMXZ5NgirdMukDsb2OkZ5kut8MFjJ-arxascIaApP_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tbe one thing you got right in your post is that you bought the wrong product for your needs and should now look for something else. 

Are you serious? I purchased a product to play music, be that from my computer, phone, xbox whatever!!

One thing we are all right about is I purchased the wrong product!!

Why don’t guys (ratty and John) sign your posts as “Sonos Staff”?

Because we aren’t. We’re just users, attempting to help other users. Even if they’re users who apparently didn’t fully understand what they were purchasing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you serious? I purchased a product to play music, be that from my computer, phone, xbox whatever!!

One thing we are all right about is I purchased the wrong product!!

Before you go further, this is a help forum for Sonos Users.  Sonos staff are clearly identified.  @John B  and @ratty are telling you the facts not designing the products within Sonos.  The fact is that Sonos do not link to a PC natively - that’s it ‘a fact’!

Chromecast via Alexa or a Connect will get around this but attacking the people who are trying to help you, is not the best way to get assistance! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

However when I use the Sonos speakers the music is broken, songs often restart and since I purchased these speakers two years ago I haven't been able to listen to an entire album without it failing to play all the way through in one go. But, I am sure you will say this is due to my poor Wifi and nothing todo with the poor buffering capability  of the speakers? 

Yet, another fed up Sonos customer!

So you’ve had these speakers for two years, and you’ve had problems since buying them, yet you never reached out for help? Wow! I would not have been that tolerant. 

Be that the case, you aren't doing anyone any favours with your underlying sarcasm and tone of response. 

If you are not employed by Sonos do Sonos a favour and loose the patronising tone and if you don’t have really helpful answers then don’t waste time, don’t post!

and Get a life, Not a Sonos!! ;-)

So would it not be great idea if we could simply “cast” from our PC to the Sonos product. Why is this useful feature not available?

It’s never been a priority to develop a suitable driver presumably. Bear in mind that the Sonos PC controller is just a remote control. It doesn’t touch the audio streams at all.

I would like to stream from PC as the music played via my  PC is constant and unbroken. However when I use the Sonos speakers the music is broken, songs often restart and since I purchased these speakers two years ago I haven't been able to listen to an entire album without it failing to play all the way through in one go. But, I am sure you will say this is due to my poor Wifi and nothing todo with the poor buffering capability  of the speakers? 

Yes, actually. It’s more than likely that your network is the issue. In those two years you could have submitted a Sonos diagnostic and requested Support’s assistance. If you do so now, posting the confirmation number here, someone official can follow up.