Play Music from iTunes to Sonos

• 18 January 2018
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 11 replies
When playing music in iTunes, the music comes out my computer speakers. How do I change it where iTunes on my computer will play on my Sonos speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't really "change it". On your sonos under settings...music library settings...you point sonos to the location of your iTunes music. Sonos then goes to that folder on your computer and indexes all the music and makes it available then to you on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Okay thanks. I was controlling my music from iTunes on my computer and whatever song I choose, I wanted to play on my Sonos speaker. So it doesn't work this, it only works from Sonos to iTunes and not iTunes to Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes Sonos has to go out and fetch the song from iTunes (it actually makes it more robust and better quality as it fetches the song file directly and plays it directly on device vs. it streaming from a source).
Correct. What you're doing with Sonos is telling the system where your iTunes library exists. You then use the controller app to tell the "player" on the speaker where to go and get the music from.

At that point, you're not really using iTunes at all, you're using what appears to be a Sonos player app.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thank you for the responses.
How does one "point" Sonos to i tunes?
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261?r=2638
And you're not pointing Sonos to iTunes itself, you're telling Sonos where you've stored your music files. A distinction that is small, but it is relevant. It isn't connecting to the iTunes app, it's just accessing where the iTunes app stores the music files.
I'm having difficulties to find the structure of the path to point: I've tried \\Macintosh HD\Users\"MyName"\Music\iTunes, \\Macintosh HD\Users\"MyName"\Music\iTunes\iTunesMedia, \\"MyName"\Music\iTunes and \\"MyName"\Music\iTunes\iTunesMedia. Also not clear if name and password are from my computer or those from mySonos account
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Any password requested whilst navigating to this folder location would be your computer password

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US&utm_medium=manage&utm_source=doc-care&utm_content=english-doc-care-manage
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you have modern Sonos hardware you can use actual iTunes on your Mac to select your music and use Airplay to play it directly on your Sonos device. (However there seems to reduced quality when doing this?)
My issue is that whether I access music though iTunes or directly from my music folder, the playback volume from song to song is all over the place, even if I use Sound Check feature in iTunes. Does Sonos have a Sound Check equivalent so that playback volume is consistent from song to song?