Play:5's cuts out immediately every time a song is added to the Apple Music queue

Badge
Using the Apple Music app...

When attempting to Airplay to 2 Play:5's (Gen 2 - Setup in wireless mode) in separate rooms and an Apple TV at the same time, playback starts fine and works as expected until adding songs to the Up Next queue. After picking a song and tapping "play next" or "play later" in the Apple Music app both Play: 5's immediately cut out and go silent. I either have to deselect/reselect them in the airplay menu or pause playback for a second before pressing play again in order for them to start playing again

The Apple TV doesn't skip a beat and continues to play without interruption as it should. This happens when playing from any and all iOS devices including iPhone, iPad, & Apple TV. I've reset my router, all devices, and factory reset the 2 Sonos speakers all without any luck.

Anyone else having similar experience? Recomendations? A known issue? Thoughts?

Much thanks in advance!

-Dom

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Badge
I have this exact same issue and have posted about it a couple of weeks ago.

C'mon Sonos - can we address the issue??? The queue is one of the primary functions of any streaming facility and this needs to be rectified.
Badge
I am really surprised (or am I?) that nobody from Sonos has even bothered to acknowledge this (or my other) thread on this issue.

It is a major issue for anyone using AirPlay, which Sonos is busy promoting as a feature.

It is not an Apple issue as it occurs with both Tidal and other music streaming apps - same issue - music is playing, add a song to the queue and playback stops....

C'mon guys....this is supposed to be a help board. If I take the time to flag up a valid issue like this, surely you guys can take the time to respond and acknowledge?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, we'd love to look into this further with you. I've tested it out several times and can't recreate the issue, so the more details we can get the better. If you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after this happens it'd be great. Also, let us know exactly where you're going in the apps and how frequently this happens.

There shouldn't be any issue using AirPlay 2 and the "Play Next" or "Play Later".

Also, what devices are you using here and what iOS versions?
Badge
Hey guys, we'd love to look into this further with you. I've tested it out several times and can't recreate the issue, so the more details we can get the better. If you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after this happens it'd be great. Also, let us know exactly where you're going in the apps and how frequently this happens.

There shouldn't be any issue using AirPlay 2 and the "Play Next" or "Play Later".

Also, what devices are you using here and what iOS versions?

Happy to give any feedback needed. I thought the above detailed description was pretty thorough but I'll address your questions specifically here...

"Also, let us know exactly where you're going in the apps and how frequently this happens."

As I mentioned, It happens every time I attempt to add a song to the Apple Music Queue while it is playing either by tapping "Play Next" or "Play Later" on another song.

"There shouldn't be any issue using AirPlay 2 and the "Play Next" or "Play Later"."

I agree. There shouldn't be an issue, but there is.

"Also, what devices are you using here and what iOS versions?"

From the original post... This happens when playing from any and all iOS devices including iPhone, iPad, & Apple TV.

As for iOS versions... Most current version (11.4.1) for all devices. In addition, I have also tested this with TVOS 12 beta with the same results.

I'll be able to submit a diagnostic a bit later today/tonight.

If anything needs further elaboration, please let me know.

Thank you for the response.

-Dom
As I mentioned, It happens every time I attempt to add a song to the Apple Music Queue while it is playing either by tapping "Play Next" or "Play Later" on another song.

"There shouldn't be any issue using AirPlay 2 and the "Play Next" or "Play Later"."

I agree. There shouldn't be an issue, but there is.

Because it's an issue with Airplay2 it is an issue with Apple. I am testing iOS 12 in the private beta and the bug does seem to be largely fixed since Update 4. Largely, because the issue re-occurred today. One can only hope that with the official release of v12 this bug will be dead and gone.
Badge
Might be an Apple issue, might be a Sonos issue. Only the Sonos speakers cut out, so I guess that is why I’m leaning towards Sonos on this but who knows.

I’m also running the iOS 12 beta on the Apple TV and in my experience the problem still persists equally as bad as it did with 11.4.2. They both, nearly every time, cut out the Play: 5’s when adding songs to the queue as described above.

I will be testing again soon and post the diagnostics.

-Dom
Badge
Just started a playlist and attempted to “Play Next” & “Play Later” with additional songs to the queue several times and the same issue. Apple TV plays and continues to play fine but both Play 5’s cut out immediately requiring a pause/resume playback to “jump start” the speakers back on.

Diagnostic #: 526914303
No luck this morning, everything is working as expected. The music does not stop when songs are added to the queue; even on iOS 11.4.1. Anyhow, I have provided diagnostics, may help to track down the cause.

1. iPad 6 (running v11.4.1): 122714781
2. iPod Touch (running v12 Beta [Update 5]): 636872722
Badge
What exactly are you contributing by posting on this thread?

Simply refuting that the issue exists when multiple users are reporting it is unhelpful. It exists. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking the time out to post about it.

I don't believe this is an Apple issue as it doesn't occur when sending audio to any other device or headphones. Only when sending to Sonos over AirPlay.

No luck this morning, everything is working as expected. The music does not stop when songs are added to the queue; even on iOS 11.4.1. Anyhow, I have provided diagnostics, may help to track down the cause.

1. iPad 6 (running v11.4.1): 122714781
2. iPod Touch (running v12 Beta [Update 5]): 636872722
Badge
I should add that this issues seems to relate to Play 5s....(mine are paired in stereo)....I wonder if others reporting the same issue have the same setup?
Badge
“Simply refuting that the issue exists when multiple users are reporting it is unhelpful. It exists. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking the time out to post about it.”

Couldn’t agree more. Maybe my posting was a bit short in answering some of Ryan’s queastions (As I thought they were already covered in the original posting) and Smilja felt the need to be defensive? Apologies if this was the case.

Chris, It is an interesting observation about the Play 5’s. While I don’t currently have mine paired at the moment like yours they were set up that way for some time before and I was still experiencing the same issue. I wonder if others can jump in and give their experience with or without Play 5’s and let us know which they speakers they are using? Any chance you can post a diagnostic for yours as well?

Just gave it another shot mysaelf and attempting to “Play Next” to add to queue resulted in both my Play 5’s cutting off yet again.

Diagnostic #: 944964740

-Dom
What exactly are you contributing by posting on this thread?

Simply refuting that the issue exists when multiple users are reporting it is unhelpful. It exists. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking the time out to post about it. [...]

Ranting is fun, but submitting the diagnostic Ryan has asked for would actually help tracking the cause of the issue down.

I should add that this issues seems to relate to Play 5s....(mine are paired in stereo)....I wonder if others reporting the same issue have the same setup?
I don't own a Play:5 (2. Gen.) but have experienced the same issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details and diagnostics. I'll pass them along to look into.

Just a note for you, Dom. I noticed there's a lot of wireless noise in your area, which could cause cutouts or other issues. It would be good to try changing the wireless channels on your router to see if that makes performance better. The environment looks pretty crowded, but I think channel 11 might be better than the channel you're on now (3). Can you test things out on that channel and let us know if it has any effect? There may be an issue that's unrelated to wireless, but that's always a good thing to clear up where possible to maximize system performance.
Userlevel 2
I've got exactly the same problem with my Play:5. Latest software and Mac OS.
And one more very irritating problem - every time I cold start a music from iTunes it automatically connects to the Play:5, but the volume is very high, even though it appears at around 20% in the app. This even happens if I use Siri on HomePod to play music ("play in the bedroom..."). The play:5 is added as an airplay2 speaker in the home app.
In order to fix it in iTunes, I have to go to the airplay icon and change the volume on the speaker itself - it immediately reflects the change, but is a nuisance. If I use the main slider, it doesn't work.
I've also send feedback to Apple about this, maybe it's their fault, no problem with HomePod though...
Badge

Just a note for you, Dom. I noticed there's a lot of wireless noise in your area, which could cause cutouts or other issues. It would be good to try changing the wireless channels on your router to see if that makes performance better. The environment looks pretty crowded, but I think channel 11 might be better than the channel you're on now (3). Can you test things out on that channel and let us know if it has any effect? There may be an issue that's unrelated to wireless, but that's always a good thing to clear up where possible to maximize system performance.

Hmmmm... Just did a scan/analysis of wifi in my area and it looks to me based on the results that channel 3 is the best option, no? Actually looking like 11 is probably the worst one to be on? Or am I interpreting this wrong?

I'll certainly give it a go but, with the consistency/immediacy adding to the queue knocks out my Play:5's I'm pretty sure it's not a wireless interference issue.

Badge

Hmmmm... Just did a scan/analysis of wifi in my area and it looks to me based on the results that channel 3 is the best option, no? Actually looking like 11 is probably the worst one to be on? Or am I interpreting this wrong?

I'll certainly give it a go but, with the consistency/immediacy adding to the queue knocks out my Play:5's I'm pretty sure it's not a wireless interference issue.

So, giving it a shot anyway, I switched over to channel 11 and still experience the same issue with the Play:5's dropping out consistently when adding to the Apple Music queue. In addition, playback performance is significantly worse on 11. Far more out of sync issues with all speakers and audio dip outs.

Any other suggestions or potential fixes? As of now Airplay is pretty much unusable with my Play: 5's when attempting to use the Apple Music queue for playback.
I’m having th same issue but mine is with using HomePod which is streaming airplay 2 to Sonos ones, which I have two of
Badge
I’m having th same issue but mine is with using HomePod which is streaming airplay 2 to Sonos ones, which I have two of

Yeah, doesn't seem model specific to the Play: 5's. Unfortunately, It looking like its an issue across the line for all of the Sonos Airplay comp speakers.
Badge
This issue is still happening.

Running most recent iOS version on an iPhone and iPad and have most recent Sonos update.

Surprised it hasn’t yet received any Sonos attention. Makes AirPlay 2 unusable when using Apple Music.

FYI happens with locally stored files as well as when using Apple Music. Does not occur when using other apps such as Tidal or Spotify.

Any ideas guys?
Have the exact same issue. Wonder how this has flown under the radar for Sonos for so long. Can we get a fix? Happy to submit any diagnostics.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're still having this issue it would be a good idea to reach out to our phone team who can troubleshoot this live. Our phone number and hours are found here.
Hi there,

I have been having the same issue with streaming audio to my Sonos Beam over Airplay through iTunes for Mac OS and Music on iOS.

When playing music through either iTunes or iOS music, selecting either 'Play Next' or 'Play Later' caused the currently playing song to cut out for about a second before resuming. The same issue did not seem to occur when queuing songs on Spotify. Unfortunately I do not have any further devices (Sonos or otherwise) connected via Airplay for testing, but I have not experienced this during playback from iTunes or iOS music through inbuilt speakers or Bluetooth devices.

I have just today gone through some updates using the Sonos app and the issue is no longer occurring but I will update here if it re-occurs.

Cheers.

I have just today gone through some updates using the Sonos app and the issue is no longer occurring but I will update here if it re-occurs.

Update: the issue has happened once or twice in the past week, but that is a marked improvement from before updating.