Question

Pandora Control IS HERE! See ya later Spotify

• 14 November 2017
  • 26 replies

Implementation is simple and intuitive. From the Pandora app send any station or song or album to any Sonos speaker group in your environment, volume control, and can change groups. More advanced features you must enter the Sonos, but it's more than enough from within Pandora. Flip-side is that everything is available from within Sonos now as well.
It's just what I've been hoping for all these past months. Great implementation impressions from my first glances.
See ya later Spotify and Deezer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
It's about time. Now the question is Pandora Premium worth it over Amazon. You still can't search music on the Sonos app for Pandora.
I don't get it. I've updated both the Sonos app and the Pandora app on my Android phone, and I still don't see how I use Sonos directly from the Pandora app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad you guys are enjoying!

I don't get it. I've updated both the Sonos app and the Pandora app on my Android phone, and I still don't see how I use Sonos directly from the Pandora app.
There are some directions here for using the Pandora app to control Sonos.
Been looking forward to Pandora Premium support on Sonos since it was first announced, glad it's finally here. Trouble is, the features in the Pandora iPhone app that are supposed to allow you to cast to Sonos are simply not there. Probably a Pandora issue, but anybody have any tips as to how to access these features on the iPhone?
Badge +1
Ryan

Great but where in the iOS Pandora v171.1 app is the Cast icon

"You can control Sonos directly from the Pandora app by tapping on the Cast icon the Now Playing screen in the Pandora app."
Ryan

Great but where in the iOS Pandora v171.1 app is the Cast icon

"You can control Sonos directly from the Pandora app by tapping on the Cast icon the Now Playing screen in the Pandora app."

Is your phone's WiFi turned on? Is it on the same WiFi network as Sonos?
Badge

Same here. The cast icon only brings up my chromecast devices

Did you also update your Sonos speakers to 8.2? Need to update them, too.

Ditto. Both apps are up to date as of tonight on both my iPad and my Pixel 2. WiFi is on. I have Pandora Plus. No cast icon anywhere. If there is something we are doing wrong, I'd sure like to hear what it is, rather than a link that acts as if there is no possibility of error.
Badge

Did you also update your Sonos speakers to 8.2? Need to update them, too.

Yes pretty sure I did. At least it said that what was happening when I updated the app. Are there separate steps to update the speaker?
The Sonos app will prompt you to update your speakers if they aren't on the same version.

Not sure what else might be wrong, can't think of anything else...
Badge
Thanks. It's a 1st world problem anyway. Not worth getting in a tizzy about
Well, tested for a couple of hours. Works OK, but, unlike the Sonos app, it's not rock stable. Like it does with Chromecast, the Pandora app will occasionally stop casting, and continue playing on the tablet or phone. Very annoying, one of the major reasons I never warmed up to Chromecast, or casting to Sonos from the Google Music or Spotify apps.

With Chromecast, when it stopped casting, it would continue to play on the Chromecast device, which could then no longer be controlled by the Pandora app, a zombie that would require physical intervention at the device. So far, the Sonos stops playing when casting is interrupted, a somewhat better situation, but still not rock solid like the Sonos app is.

At least Premium is now available inside the Sonos app. No lyrics or artist bios though. Sigh. Sonos could learn a thing or two from Pandora's UI. Super simple, fast and intuitive, easy on the eyes, great looking.
Userlevel 1
I see no way to use the pandora app to play directly to Sonos.i have never seen the cast icon anywhere in the pandora app.
Badge
I am having the same problem. I updated Sonos and it no longer shows any speakers needing update. I have made sure in the google play store that my apps are up to date. However, I have no cast icon in either my android S7 phone, android tablet,
Whats worse is the update to sonos took away the thumbs up and down button on the windows version!
The update seems to have removed other functionality. When I access Pandora on the Sonos app, Sonos > Pandora > My Stations, the stations are available only in a list view. I can find no way to show a grid view, which I had before the update.

My guess as to the....unevenness of the update is that some Sonos upper manager was pushing Engineering to get this great new update out before Black Friday, to help stimulate sales on the biggest retail day of the year. "I don't care if it's not ready or tested thoroughly, you're going to ship it on the 14th or else. The users will do our beta testing for free. And I'll get a bigger bonus for making the deadline."
Badge
I think I figured it out. I removed the Pandora service from my Sonos system and now I have a cast icon on my phone. Not sure what would happen if I re-added but am going to use it this way for now from the Pandora app

My guess as to the....unevenness of the update is that some Sonos upper manager was pushing Engineering to get this great new update out before Black Friday, to help stimulate sales on the biggest retail day of the year. "I don't care if it's not ready or tested thoroughly, you're going to ship it on the 14th or else. The users will do our beta testing for free. And I'll get a bigger bonus for making the deadline."

Um, you do realize that Pandora, not Sonos, has complete control over the functionality offered, right? Pandora no doubt prefers its customers to use its own app vs the Sonos integration.
No, I didn't think about that. Good point. WRT what Pandora prefers, if you are paying for a subscription, Pandora gets no more money one way or the other, do they? If they get nothing from the relationship, then why would they do it? I imagine the motivator is that they will pick up more subscribers from Sonos users that aren't currently Pandora subscribers. That aside, fine, then it was a Pandora manager--my cynical rant works either way. Regardless, the app isn't ready for prime time. But as cjn notes, first world problem. I still get disappointed in shoddy workmanship, in this case either in the app or the instructions.
Agree with Chicks that it isn't as stable as the Sonos app, but that isn't entirely surprising. Neither is Spotify in this scenario and at least the Pandora UI (as opposed to Spotify) doesn't make me want to claw out my brain. I've had a couple stream stops but honestly we used it all day and night yesterday (we're packing for a move so I do mean "all day and night") and only had two interruptions.

One of those interruptions was quite strange and for a time Pandora would not connect at all. I'd receive the message:
"Unable to Connect to your Sonos speaker. Please open the Sonos app for help."
When making same attempt while watching the Sonos (PC version) controller, a brief error message displays (on the controller) which reads: Unable to play " - service error.

The only change I made between when it worked in the morning/early afternoon was I brought in my Sonos ONE from the garage (which was powered off previously), plugged it in and let the Controller apply the new update to it as well. It was a couple hours later when I fired up Pandora again that the errors occurred. I reset my router, cycled all speakers, cycled all controller devices (phone, PC), reauthorized Pandora via the PC controller, restarted Pandora several time and still it wouldn't connect. Oddly enough, I could still make changes to the Sonos speaker groups from within Pandora, but all attempts to play music would result in this error.

Finally, I selected a different album in Pandora to play and lo-and-behold it fired right up. No problem. A few minutes later I browsed back to the album I was trying earlier and it then played just fine. Very weird. But other than that the stream only stopped once that I recall and I was able to start it right back up again. My phone was in my pocket when this happened and I was moving all over the house - could well have been I dipped out of wi-fi range for a moment - not sure.

At any rate - my only want was to have control of individual speaker volume within a Sonos group, but I've just learned from support that this will be included in a future update.

Not sure what several here are on about stating that you cannot access Pandora premium features via the Sonos app - I certainly can, both on my Android mobile app v8.2 and the PC controller app v8.2. Search for an artist, select them, scroll to their albums, select an album, "play all". Works great. You might make doubly sure that ALL speaker and ALL controllers you're using are up-to-date, and that your Pandora app doesn't need any updates either. Power cycle ALL your devices. Casting can be finicky. The casting icon should appear in the bottom-right of the "now playing" screen in Pandora.
I imagine the motivator is that they will pick up more subscribers from Sonos users that aren't currently Pandora subscribers.

I certainly fit this category, as I made clear in a number of emails with Pandora over the past many months. I loved the new Premium service/app but stressed that unless all was available within the Sonos ecosystem I'd have to pass. Now that it's here I'm loving it personally and feel that its every bit, if simpler (which I consider a bonus), as good as Spotify's implementation, and it should only get better. "Ready for primetime" in my opinion, is the ability to play Pandora Premium content on Sonos from either app (Sonos or Pandora) without trouble, and for over 24 hours it's delivered that for me personally. I've already bagged Spotify, and Deezer (as much as I love the quality of their stream bitrate) is out as well.

I don't go out for Amazon, but that is for an entirely different set of reasons (if they gave me an ice-cream sandwich every time I used used Amazon music I still would not subscribe. 😃 )
I think Tidal will be next to add Sonos Direct Control, possibly this year.

Was shocked to see that the Amazon app pushed out today now supports Chromecast! Amazon and Google are such bitter rivals, it was totally unexpected. Maybe a peace offering to get YouTube back on the Echo Show? Dunno.

Anyway, got me to pondering, will Amazon app soon have Sonos Direct Control?
I think Tidal will be next to add Sonos Direct Control, possibly this year.

Was shocked to see that the Amazon app pushed out today now supports Chromecast! Amazon and Google are such bitter rivals, it was totally unexpected. Maybe a peace offering to get YouTube back on the Echo Show? Dunno.

Anyway, got me to pondering, will Amazon app soon have Sonos Direct Control?

I'm of the ornery opinion that both Amazon and Google get enough of my money and mined data that they don't deserve/need any of my music-playing business. I'll resist it for as long as I can. That's my personal 'get-the-hell-off-my-lawn' stance.
I think that any and all interoperability is a good thing. I’m happy that Sonos has opened up its ecosystem, giving users the option to use other apps.

Heck, if Amazon and Google can now interoperate, maybe Apple will eventually develop cracks in its garden wall, lol.
Badge
Implementation is simple and intuitive. From the Pandora app send any station or song or album to any Sonos speaker group in your environment, volume control, and can change groups. More advanced features you must enter the Sonos, but it's more than enough from within Pandora. Flip-side is that everything is available from within Sonos now as well.
It's just what I've been hoping for all these past months. Great implementation impressions from my first glances.
See ya later Spotify and Deezer.

Yeah, well .. when it works. Which is not often.