Answered

Pandora Business and Wireless Sonos

• 5 October 2017
  • 11 replies

Good Morning, I am working on connecting Pandora Business to our Sonos system at my work. We currently have mulitple Play 3's and a sub. We also have the Sonos amplifier which seems to be worthless for connecting the two since our speakers are not hard wired. Help...
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 October 2017, 21:21

Other than grouping the PLAY:3 room(s) with the CONNECT:AMP (PANDORA) room, I think you're there. The "PANDORA" room is the CONNECT:AMP, and since it doesn't have any speaker wires connected to it, it wouldn't be "playing" anywhere, It's only by grouping that room with the others that would push the signal out to them.

But if that doesn't work, I think I've exhausted any knowledge that I have, and would heartily encourage you to call in to Sonos and discuss this with a technician there. You can find their contact information, including phone/twitter, and hours at www.sonos.com/contact.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

What is a Sonos amplifier? How do you have your system setup? Which of these devices are connected to your router? Have you submitted a system diagnostic? If so, you should post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.
Sonos - CONNECT:AMP - the one that has the RCA connectors on the back. Ethernet in and out as well. We have the Sonos Play:3's with the Sonos Boost. All run by WIFI I think. The Ethernet is connected to the Boost>AMP>Pandora Business. Diagnostics:7922083. System is asking for an update but it can not be completed for some reason. The laptop that is running the system is older, Win7
Hmm, thanks. I'm still not sure I'm understanding your full setup, so please forgive my additional questions.

What do you have connected to the CONNECT: AMP in terms of speakers?

If you have an ethernet cable connected to the BOOST, then your system should be running on SonosNet, rather than your own wifi, which is good. You should be sure to remove (if you have them) any wifi credentials from the app, so that the speakers don't have any confusion as to what they're connected to.

I would then assume that the CONNECT:AMP is also on SonosNet, as are the speakers. I would think that the item you've labeled as Pandora Business isn't a device, but a service that you're running on the Sonos? If it is a device, can you give me a little more information about it? I'm not familiar, but it's certainly possible that it's some sort of device that you've connected to the CONNECT:AMP's inputs, which is generating the music. If so, it would be useful to know. Also, if so, is there anything actually connected to an internet connection, or is it just connected to this assumed Pandora Business device?

Really sorry for all these questions, but I'm trying to build a mental image of how it's all hooked up in my mind, so I can give you some more than useless advice.

Since you're saying the system can't be updated, what version of the controller and firmware are you running?

Win 7 is on the list of approved OS, so I'm not sure why you can't update. Are you getting any specific errors when you attempt to run an update?
Good Morning,
Honestly, not sure why we have the CONNECT:AMP. There are no speakers connected to it at present. I do feel that the Sonos speakers are working separate to the WIFI.
We are trying to run the Pandora Business through the Sonos speakers. The Pandora business player is running on the laptop (online) and not through the Sonos ap. Can we add Pandora Business to the Sonos ap/player ?
The CONNECT:AMP is for hardwired speakers which we have none.
When we try to update, it erases the speakers that we have and states that it can not be updated. I hesitate to try it again due to the pain in the rear of setting up the speakers again.
Thinking out loud. What happens if I plug the Sonos BOOST into the Pandora Business box? How would that hook up to the speakers?
Well, it would make more sense if the CONNECT:AMP was actually just a CONNECT, and you were using the line in on it.

So, the Pandora business is an app on a PC, and how does that data get to the CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP that you have? Is there some sort of cabling involved, and what kind is it?

The PC must be connected to the ethernet in some way. Is there an equivalent cable going to the CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP to provide ethernet to it? If not, is there a way you could do that? It would make your life much easier, I'd think.

Where did the BOOST come from? I thought we were talking about some speakers and a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP? The only thing that would benefit you, if you had a BOOST, would be to connect it with an ethernet connection to your router, which would replace my statement above about connecting the CONNECT or CONNECT: AMP with an ethernet cable.

Can you link to some data about this Pandora Business box that you think could plug in to the BOOST? I'm still not really sure whether this is some sort of physical box, or software running on a PC of some type.

Today's a holiday here in the US, let's hope someone from Sonos stops by to look at that diagnostic soon, they'll be able to tell a bunch more from that data than I can from my guessing.
The Pandora business that we have a present is a physical box which presently is connected to the ethernet. Not sure why they don't have an app like Sonos or why we can't just pull up the Pandora Business on the Sonos App.

Did not see on the Sonos AP on the PC where we could add the Pandora Business.
From what I see, the Pandora Business run on a site online but I'm going to play with it some more.

Maybe we need to start at the being again. How does the Sonos AP on the PC connect to the speakers? I did not initially set those up.
May add more later....Thanks for your time.
OK, Under MANAGE / MUSIC LIBRARY SETTINGS is not highlighted.
I wouldn't make the assumption that anything coming out of the Pandora box would carry any internet information that goes in to it, unless you can find some information about the device that suggests it shares that with other devices.

So, I think what you really want is two ethernet cables running from your router. One goes to the Pandora Business box, and the other goes to the CONNECT:AMP or any other Sonos device you choose. That would put all of the Sonos devices on SonosNet, and take them off of your wifi. At that point, I'd double check in the app that the wifi credentials are removed, so there's no confusion.

Then there probably are RCA cables that connect from the Pandora Business box to the CONNECT:AMP's audio input jacks. Then in the controller app (which would be on your PC or your phone, or both) you would group the PLAY:5 Room with the CONNECT:AMP's room, and the PLAY:5 should work, as soon as you select the appropriate line-in data on the CONNECT:AMP, which is in the controller apps Settings>Room Settings. Frankly, without speakers being attached to it, it really could have been a CONNECT, which is cheaper, but I guess that's water under the bridge at this point.

Hope this is of any/some help.
Ok, I hooked everything back up. On the PC / Sonos AP / Under SELECT A MUSIC SOURCE, we have a "line in". When clicked, it shows: PANDORA:PANDORA. PANDORA:PANDORA also shows up as a ROOM. When selected to play, we have no music out of it. we can change the playlist, pause and start, but no sound.
Other than grouping the PLAY:3 room(s) with the CONNECT:AMP (PANDORA) room, I think you're there. The "PANDORA" room is the CONNECT:AMP, and since it doesn't have any speaker wires connected to it, it wouldn't be "playing" anywhere, It's only by grouping that room with the others that would push the signal out to them.

But if that doesn't work, I think I've exhausted any knowledge that I have, and would heartily encourage you to call in to Sonos and discuss this with a technician there. You can find their contact information, including phone/twitter, and hours at www.sonos.com/contact.