Overcast

• 28 March 2017
  • 34 replies

Show first post

34 replies

Badge
Marco Arment: I actually wrote the entire Sonos integration over a year ago, but I won’t release it until the API adds a played-to-end callback. July 10, 2017

It May 18 2018 (i.e. 10 months after the post being referred) is it really such a complex task to add this call to the API? Once added it would probably be of help to others as well beyond Overcast :?

(At the moment using this solution: https://github.com/josh/overcast-sonos/#setup)
One wonders if Sonos might have bigger fish that they're currently frying. Something that might drive a greater percentage of sales than implementing a specific call for a single stream to use.

But I'm just guessing. I do know from my own business experience that there are constantly important decisions to be taken about priorities and resource effort.
Badge
Look I agree Airplay 2 is more important and in a way would also resolve overcast issues by just playing through the phone. And you are also right I have no idea how many people they have working on the software side - it might be only one person with a contract by the hour. Still API are meant to be there to support developers to connect to your product and this (introduction of Airplay 2) is a great chance to finally introduce it - especially as -looking from outside naively as Sonos is shares little- does not appear to be a very complex addition.
I’m unwilling to express any confidence in whether it is an easy addition, or a total rewrite of some existing subsystem. I don’t know how their code base is set up, how restrictive the memory allocations are, or pretty much anything at all about the way Sonos chooses to add features. I only speak from my own knowledge of software development.

We have expressed our desire for this to happen, it’s up to Sonos to evaluate the cost/benefit ratio, and assign it a priority in their backlog, which is likely several thousands of items that do not appear to be a very complex addition.
+1 Add Overcast service to Sonos!
+1 Please add this service !!
Badge
+1 as well. Please, there is no viable alternative to Overcast! Thanks
+1 for Overcast!! Thanks.
+1 for Overcast support