Answered

Over 100 connections to music library Samba server

• 13 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I was just logged on to my server which has my music library on it and noticed 120 SMB connections from my various Sonos devices to the music share. There are tens of connections from today and each of the last few days. 

Is this normal? I’ve never noticed it happening before.

Thanks

Jon.

icon

Best answer by ratty 13 April 2022, 14:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Is this normal?

It depends how your system is configured and what you’ve been doing with it.

Assuming there’s a library share configured into Sonos it will of course access the share to play music. A nightly index update, if enabled, would also need to scan the directories for changes.

Also, if you’ve been browsing any of the library content on a controller, there will have been multiple accesses to retrieve album artwork. This is all fetched on the fly, with only a short-lived cache in the controller.

Badge

Thanks, I was doing a lot of scrolling through album art recently whilst fixing missing artwork, I guess that must have caused it. My “Is this normal?” referred to the high number of connections, not the fact that there are connections - of course I’d expect some. I’ve a pretty beefy server so I’m not too worried if this is expected behaviour. I’ve done a bit of searching since posting and I see a few other similar posts so I guess it is indeed ‘normal’ :-)

That could well be it then. Artwork is retrieved via the controller’s ‘Associated Product’ (look in Settings/System/About).

Badge

Hmm, interesting. The ‘associated product’ is a Sonos One in the kitchen and it only has 44 of the now 157 connections, whereas there are 106 connections from the living room Amp.

The ‘Associated Product’ changes frequently, both at controller start (it’s the first device to respond to the discovery) and often during a session.

Badge

Aha, ok - thank you.