Outside wifi controls

• 25 September 2018
  • 3 replies

One of my friends was over yesterday and played music from Spotify on their phone but connected to my Sonos system for the speakers. Well today at 5am when they got up and took a shower, at their house, they hit play on their Spotify and the music started at my house for a split second before their Spotify defaulted the phone over my speakers due to lack of connection to my wifi. Anyone else experience this before?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
One of my friends was over yesterday and played music from Spotify on their phone but connected to my Sonos system for the speakers. Well today at 5am when they got up and took a shower, at their house, they hit play on their Spotify and the music started at my house for a split second before their Spotify defaulted the phone over my speakers due to lack of connection to my wifi. Anyone else experience this before?

HI Cjay612,

This is how Spotify direct control works. When you use the Spotify app to control a Sonos system it will still work when that device is off the network local to the Sonos system. This only lasts until something else is played on the Sonos. The connection is broken at that point and you'd have to be back on the network with a device running Spotify to get direct control working again.
But isn't the Sonos system supposed to be only accessible for devices connected to the same wifi as the Sonos system? My friend was not connected to my wifi when this happened.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The wifi requirement does not apply with Spotify Direct. Hence the word Direct.