on this phone

Can you please not discontinue the on this phone option? We have thousands of dollars in Apple Music that we will not be able to use.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

When did you run the poll to be able to say the vast majority want the feature to remain? What were the actual results?
Who would choose to lose functionality? It is not like they are replacing this with a better option. They are removing something that some customers use. I would argue that, even without a statistically credible poll, that anyone who uses this functionality is not super happy it is going away. I want this feature to remain.
I am really unhappy Sonos is discontinuing the "On This Phone" feature. I specifically bought two Sonos Play:1 speakers in December 2018 so that I could play music from my Iphone XR. I am 53 years old and own a ton of music (stored on my phone and computer). So, I am not eager to upload that volume to a streaming service.

Just to make sure it's clear, you are not being forced to use a streaming service. You will still be able play music from your computer music library. Other options are available as well, but not for a single play:1 setup. I am not saying that this is convenient for you, or what you bought the product for to begin with, just information.

Please do not get rid of this function. It works fine for me. If there are bugs with the new IOS releases, please work with Apple to sort them out.

Unhappy customer!!!

Sonos had been working to resolve the issue for a year with no resolution in sight. As well, Apple's direction was moving away from keeping the feature working in a stable way. The idea that the bugs would get sorted with enough time and money is far from a guarantee. Again, just information.
And for the avoidance of doubt, you can still control the playback from your computer library using your Sonos mobile controller(s). You don't have to 'walk over to the computer every time I want to change the playlist' as one ill-informed user put it.

Who would choose to lose functionality? It is not like they are replacing this with a better option. They are removing something that some customers use. I would argue that, even without a statistically credible poll, that anyone who uses this functionality is not super happy it is going away. I want this feature to remain.

I would posit that it is far past the point where the decision is going to be reversed. Far greater numbers have tried for past decisions (CR100 retirement, Dock retirement, PC/Mac controller losing settings) and no decision was ever reversed. I would concentrate my efforts on deciding on an alternative, whether that be the workarounds suggested here and in other threads, or an alternative to Sonos altogether. That route would be much more productive (not to mention less stressful) than repeated pleading for Sonos to keep this feature.
Just adding my voice to those who are disappointed in Sonos' decision to eliminate the 'on this iPhone' feature. The ability to flexibly play music from my phone led me to purchase multiple Play:1 speakers over the years, not to mention giving many of those same speakers as gifts for the same reason.

Yes, there are workarounds, but none particularly convenient or without cost.

I spoke to a Sonos rep/supervisor and encouraged Sonos to implement some sort of upgrade or exchange program to their next level speaker that would accommodate AirPlay. I'm not encouraged that this will ever happen.

In my case at least, despite Sonos high reputation, I will not be buying any more Sonos products and will start looking for replacements, as the loss of this feature will make my current speakers considerably less functional than they were. Very sad on so many levels....
Not to nitpick, but if we are talking only monetary outlay, Google Play Music and Plex are without cost.
Not to nitpick, but if we are talking only monetary outlay, Google Play Music and Plex are without cost.
As is using an already owned computer to host the music library.
It seems rather ironic that people are using the term 'workarounds' for methods of playing local content that Sonos was designed to use. It is playing content stored on a mobile device that is the newcomer, and a method never emphasised by Sonos.

It is also ironic that some of the so-called 'workarounds' have distinct advantages over playing from the phone.
Just adding my voice to those who are disappointed in Sonos' decision to eliminate the 'on this iPhone' feature. The ability to flexibly play music from my phone led me to purchase multiple Play:1 speakers over the years, not to mention giving many of those same speakers as gifts for the same reason.

Yes, there are workarounds, but none particularly convenient or without cost.

I spoke to a Sonos rep/supervisor and encouraged Sonos to implement some sort of upgrade or exchange program to their next level speaker that would accommodate AirPlay. I'm not encouraged that this will ever happen.

I don't think Sonos would be able to narrow down the exchange to just those Apple users who depended on this feature, and thus it would likely be extremely expensive.

Also, your profile says you own a Beam? Are you wanting all your devices to have airplay? Grouping speakers won't do it for you?
It seems rather ironic that people are using the term 'workarounds' for methods of playing local content that Sonos was designed to use. It is playing content stored on a mobile device that is the newcomer, and a method never emphasised by Sonos.

It is also ironic that some of the so-called 'workarounds' have distinct advantages over playing from the phone.

I've been using the term 'workarounds' because it's faster to type. Laziness is often a driver for my daily decisions.
This is the second time I've seen someone with an Airplay 2 compatible speaker complaining about the "cost" of workarounds . . . errrm . . . alternatives. I wonder how many others don't know they already own the solution to their problem?
This is the second time I've seen someone with an Airplay 2 compatible speaker complaining about the "cost" of workarounds . . . errrm . . . alternatives. I wonder how many others don't know they already own the solution to their problem?

Don't want to speak for @photon156 but it could also be that the alternative solution isn't considered convenient since grouping will need to be done, or there is frequent second user in the home who utilize the beam for TV watching or their own airplay stream.

Hopefully though, this is an acceptable...plan B?
Don't want to speak for @photon156 but it could also be that the alternative solution isn't considered convenient since grouping will need to be done, or there is frequent second user in the home who utilize the beam for TV watching or their own airplay stream.

Hopefully though, this is an acceptable...plan B?

Could be, but they have yet to explain. The poster from yesterday who had an Amp never replied when asked, he just poofed.
Interesting thoughts. First, the ability to play music stored on my iPhone from within the Sonos app was in place when I bought my first Sonos speaker many years ago and was one of the things that attracted me to the product. There was never an indication from Sonos that this was a new feature that might go away some day.

Having all my music access in one place, both phone and streaming services, is hugely convenient (to me anyway). Removing one of those sources from the app requires a user to take at least SOME different action to access it on a Sonos speaker, i.e. "work around" the limitation in the Sonos app. I'm sure we can all look up the definition of a workaround.

A couple of examples. I often exercise with music using a couple of my Play:1s (NOT connected to my Beam, which plays in a different part of the house). I can easily select a playlist from a streaming service and, when I want, quickly switch to a playlist on my phone. Now I have to find another way (a workaround?) to get at my own libraries. It shouldn't have to involve firing up my laptop either or buying a network server, or whatever, just to keep the functionality I currently have.

Also, I occasionally break down my 4 Play:1s and use them in various parts of my yard when entertaining. I want to put different tracks/playlists on different speakers, including playlists from my phone. Managing all that on one device in one app is a big plus, but I'm now going to lose that. This was a BIG selling point with Sonos - play different music in different parts of your home. Even if I wanted to, I can't pair ALL of them with my Beam and still play them independently, can I?

Lastly, I have no desire to upload my music library to any cloud streaming service, for a variety of reasons - nor should I have to. Syncing up songs and playlists between my laptop, my phone and now a streaming service is not something a customer should be expected to have to do. I don't know, do Google Play Music and Plex retain your playlists when you upload to them? I'm betting not.

Bottom line, Sonos is removing functionality that they previously supported. Since they haven't taken a poll (that I'm aware of), forums like this and other social media outlets are the only means customers have of registering their displeasure with that decision.

Perhaps there are only a relative handful of us who care about this capability, but our opinions still should be respectfully heard.
I don't know, do Google Play Music and Plex retain your playlists when you upload to them? I'm betting not.

Google does. Don't know anything about Plex.

Bottom line, Sonos is removing functionality that they previously supported. Since they haven't taken a poll (that I'm aware of), forums like this and other social media outlets are the only means customers have of registering their displeasure with that decision.

Registering your displeasure may be a cathartic exercise, but if history is any indication, it is a futile one. Sonos has never backed off on these types of decisions, no matter the hue and cry. But if a good rant is what you wish, you won't be the first, nor the last. The rest of us are here to give out alternatives the those who are open to them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for helping out everyone. @photon156, I hope you've had a chance to see the message in our main thread on this topic, as it does go into the details a bit, and outlines the suggestions mentioned in here too. Though there wasn't a specific "poll" that was published, this decision was made after doing a lot of research and data analysis, along with other discussion. In the end, it came down to being unable to continue supporting a feature that was already unreliable and often unstable. I know that doesn't help with how you feel about the changes, but I do sincerely hope you find a solution that works great for your home.

Our team here does make note and share sentiment of the feedback provided on the community with the rest of the company, and we do read every single thread posted.
Even if I wanted to, I can't pair ALL of them with my Beam and still play them independently, can I?

This might be something that you understand already, but if not, let me clarify how Sonos groups could help in this situation. A 'pair' in Sonos terms generally means configuring two like speakers to work as a stereo pair and thus act as a single room. The two speakers will always play together. A Sonos 'group' is different. This is temporarily telling one or more rooms to play together in sync. You can change the rooms in a group at will, and change the volume of each room together or separately.

So in terms of Airplay, you can airplay to your beam, and then group your Beam room with one or more of your other Sonos rooms (play:1s in your case). As an example, you could use airplay for a beam + 1 play:1 for one stream, while your other play:1s do something else. Or use airplay for the beam + 2 of your other rooms. Or everything together. Basically having a single Beam (or other Sonos airplay device) allows you one airplay stream to any combination of speakers in your setup, as long as the airplay device is in that group. Two would get you two streams, and so on.
Syncing up songs and playlists between my laptop, my phone and now a streaming service is not something a customer should be expected to have to do. I don't know, do Google Play Music and Plex retain your playlists when you upload to them? I'm betting not.

GPM can be set to sync automatically. It does do playlists.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and am glad that the Sonos 'back room' is listening. It doesn't change how I feel about the change, but I know you're all trying to make it work as best you can.

The main issue with using my Beam is that it's serving its intended purpose, as a soundbar for my primary television. So, when that's in use, which is often, I've got a problem. Not to mention the inconvenience of the pairing, unpairing, volume adjusting, etc. that would be required.

It sounds like I'll need to acquire, at a minimum, at least one new Sonos One in order to integrate with, and protect, my current Play:1 infrastructure. Unfortunately, that's another $200 investment necessitated by Sonos' decision to eliminate the iPhone feature. Always nice to acquire another speaker, but I like to do those things in my own timeframe. Oh well...
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and am glad that the Sonos 'back room' is listening. It doesn't change how I feel about the change, but I know you're all trying to make it work as best you can.

It sounds like I'll need to acquire, at a minimum, at least one new Sonos One in order to integrate with, and protect, my current Play:1 infrastructure. Unfortunately, that's another $200 investment necessitated by Sonos' decision to eliminate the iPhone feature. Always nice to acquire another speaker, but I like to do those things in my own timeframe. Oh well...

The no cost solution is still Google Play Music.

Since you you stream music anyway, and since GPM will sync automatically with your music library, and can stream to your Beam and your Olay:1’s, all you need to acquire is a free account. set it up as a family account and the household has access.

But it don’t let that stop you buying a One if you are on the acquisition trail! 😜

I too am very unhappy about this development.  When I built my house in 2014, I invested in 17 Connect:Amps.  The ability to play from my phone is one of the reasons I went with this product.  Having multiple people, with multiple different playlists and multiple libraries with different tastes in music does not work with the “workarounds” that are being offered.  From what I am understanding, is that if I upgrade my hardware, I’ll be able to Airplay from my phone?  So, let’s for a moment say I am going to invest another $10k for new hardware…  5 years from now, will I be forced to do this again?  geez.  Very very unhappy.

I’m not sure anyone is happy with the change made by Apple, including both Sonos and Bluesound, who were using that mode of access to the iOS device.

But it depends on what hardware you have, it’s possible that you already have an AirPlay 2 capable speaker. And if not, you’d only need to add a single speaker, not replace your entire collection, since you can always group other speakers with the one receiving the AirPlay 2 signal.

But, if I want several rooms to be independent of each other, I do need to update more than 1 unit, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You might want to look at setting up a music library, or a Google Play Music account, for independent, multiple rooms. 

How do I set up a music library when we have 3 separate laptops with their own library, and their own apple accounts?  How would this be able to be maintained long term?  Anytime I purchase a song, or mix one of my own tracks, I would have to copy it to another library in order to play it through Sonos?