on this phone

Can you please not discontinue the on this phone option? We have thousands of dollars in Apple Music that we will not be able to use.

46 replies

Why do you think you won’t be able to use your music on Sonos?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Sonos says you can replace your non airplay speakers with newer Sonos ones which will allow you to continue streaming from your phone- they say this is the best option.
Sonos says you can replace your non airplay speakers with newer Sonos ones which will allow you to continue streaming from your phone- they say this is the best option.
Airplay 2 is indeed the best option now for streaming tracks stored on your iPhone or iPad. Other possibilities include playing music stored on your computer, or a NAS drive instead. Or uplosding to a cloud library like GPM.
Alao, Sonos did not say you should replace your speakers with more modern ones. You can introduce Airplay 2 to your whole system by adding one Airplay 2 compatible speaker. And as I stated, there are alternatives that involve no purchase of Sonos equipment
@Peagle is pushing his view that this is all about Sonos trying to sell more speakers. Sonos did not say you should 'replace' your speakers. That is a deliberate and cynical misrepresentation.
Think it’s an absolute joke that they are removing the
“ music on this iPhone feature “ .
There excuse is iOS updates are making it unreliable..? Well sort it out SONOS for gods sake ..?
Speak to Apple and get it sorted....!!!
Your app sounds better, has loudness function and bass and treble function to .
this is the 20th century...!! We can put a rockets in space , a remote control car on mars ...!! But you can’t sort out your app to work...!! RUBBISH...!!! You should hang your heads in shame....! End of ...???
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Think it’s an absolute joke that they are removing the
“ music on this iPhone feature “ .
There excuse is iOS updates are making it unreliable..? Well sort it out SONOS for gods sake ..?
Speak to Apple and get it sorted....!!!
Your app sounds better, has loudness function and bass and treble function to .
this is the 20th century...!! We can put a rockets in space , a remote control car on mars ...!! But you can’t sort out your app to work...!! RUBBISH...!!! You should hang your heads in shame....! End of ...???

@John B don't be so butt hurt it's a bad look.

@Nacho123 You just need to add some new speakers to your house to continue to play from your phone over airplay 2

. *** Disclaimer for @John B butt hurt **** I'm not saying you need to replace all speakers and definitely not stating or implying that this is the reason Sonos is deleting this feature (although it could and very likely is an underlying reason)
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Or you could just always go with a free option like indexing your music library on a computer, or upload your music library to Google Play Music.

If you really wanted to spend money, a NAS drive would be the most reliable option.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Or you could just always go with a free option like indexing your music library on a computer, or upload your music library to Google Play Music.

If you really wanted to spend money, a NAS drive would be the most reliable option.

For sure, but some people actually want to use their phones for their own reasons.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

For sure, but some people actually want to use their phones for their own reasons.

Who said you can't use your phone?

Now instead of seeing "on this device" under Browse, you will see "music library"

literally the same thing, only difference is where the files are located.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

literally the same thing, only difference is where the files are located.

Obtuse or stable genius? cause the location of the files seems to be important to the peeps using their phones for their music. Sheesh.

Sonos says you can replace your non airplay speakers with newer Sonos ones which will allow you to continue streaming from your phone- they say this is the best option.Airplay 2 is indeed the best option now for streaming tracks stored on your iPhone or iPad. Other possibilities include playing music stored on your computer, or a NAS drive instead. Or uplosding to a cloud library like GPM.

Or, get an Android and move the music files there, and use them from that phone. To protect a "thousands of dollars" investment, the cost is a trifle.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a NAS setup at my home and I still prefer to play from my phone. When I go to my office outside my home, I will not be able utilize my Play 1. I also go to my friends homes who have Play 5s and would like to play music from my phone that they may not have, I will no longer be able to do that. I do not agree with removing existing functionality with the provided solution being to buy a newer product or a joining a subscription service. One of the reasons I purchased Sonos to begin with was this feature and now they are removing it and putting the onus on the customer for a solution, I don’t want to plex from my nextwork. I have little interest in products that have Google assistant or Alexa built in to them for privacy concerns.

I have several Play 1s, a Play 5, Sound Bar and Sub. I will not be purchasing any further products because of decisions like this. This is a poor decision from Sonos.
I have several Play 1s, a Play 5, Sound Bar and Sub. I will not be purchasing any further products because of decisions like this. This is a poor decision from Sonos.
Wire an Echo Dot to the line in of the 5 and play music as now via Bluetooth. Or some of the other suggestions posted here. Either will make more sense that switching away from Sonos, almost certainly cutting your nose to spite your face by doing so.
At your friend's place, carry a 3.5mm cable.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Wire an Echo Dot to the line in of the 5 and play music as now via Bluetooth. Or some of the other suggestions posted here. Either will make more sense that switching away from Sonos, almost certainly cutting your nose to spite your face by doing so.

Thank you for all your advice on potential work arounds, but I would prefer for products I have purchased to work with the all the features that made me want to purchase them in the first place.

Thank you for all your advice on potential work arounds, but I would prefer for products I have purchased to work with the all the features that made me want to purchase them in the first place.

I am sure you would, and I can understand that, but that isn't going to happen. So you need to adapt, or move on from Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I am sure you would, and I can understand that, but that isn't going to happen. So you need to adapt, or move on from Sonos.

Not particularly, I need to provide feedback as a customer who owns several of their products. Seems that there are many people who own Sonos that are not happy with this decision, with enough feedback Sonos may revisit the removal of the functionality, ignoring your customers concerns is very short sighted.
Obviously you either did not use the “from this device” option or it does not inconvenience you to work around the loss of functionally. I am not sure why it bothers you that Sonos owners are providing feedback that they are unhappy with the removal of a feature that you do not appear to utilize, but to simply say ‘that isn’t going to happen” and to 'move on' is a bit obtuse at worst or dismissive as best.

I am not sure why it bothers you that Sonos owners are providing feedback that they are unhappy with the removal of a feature that you do not appear to utilize, but to simply say ‘that isn’t going to happen” and to 'move on' is a bit obtuse at worst or dismissive as best.

Speaking for myself:
It does not bother me in the least. Speaking from experience of Sonos from 2011, it however seems to me that suggesting alternatives is more constructive than merely expressing sympathy and little else.
Needless to say, you have the prerogative of ignoring all of such advice. Some here do not do so.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Speaking for myself:
It does not bother me in the least. Speaking from experience of Sonos from 2011, it however seems to me that suggesting alternatives is more constructive than merely expressing sympathy and little else.
Needless to say, you have the prerogative of ignoring all of such advice. Some here do not do so.

I do appreciate the alternatives proved and the other users who are willing to offer insight to the less technologically savvy. Sorry if my response to you seemed short. I did state in my initial reply I do not care for Amazon and Alexia products for my home. Yes, a 3.5mm aux line would work at my friend’s houses, but that requires the device to remain tethered to the Sonos. If the Sonos sits on a self you would either need to go over to the self everytime you want to change what is playing or run a long cord which someone could very well trip on, potentially pulling the Sonos off its self along with the phone. Also apple phone so no 3.5 out without an adaptor. I liked how the play from device feature functioned, it fit my needs well. I voiced my opinion to this thread because others have the same concern. I would like to see Sonos keep this feature.
@Grandmaster. I did not intend to be dismissive. But Sonos have never gone back on a decision like this. They have ridden out much greater storms and will have been fully aware what the reaction would be.

Of course you can express your dissatisfaction, but Sonos won't go back on this.
I have maxed out my house with Sonos. Called Tech support and can’t add anymore than 32. LOVED SONOS for how customer friendly Sonos is. THIS is not customer centric even if they think it’s Apple’s issue. Many of us bought Sonos for this feature and this is completely unacceptable.
Look, Apple may move-on from iTunes or promote their steaming service or whatever, but the fact remains that the vast majority of iOS Sonos users want the “On this phone” feature to remain intact. I don’t understand the full-stop here. Sonos, could you please provide a better explanation?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
When did you run the poll to be able to say the vast majority want the feature to remain? What were the actual results?
I am really unhappy Sonos is discontinuing the "On This Phone" feature. I specifically bought two Sonos Play:1 speakers in December 2018 so that I could play music from my Iphone XR. I am 53 years old and own a ton of music (stored on my phone and computer). So, I am not eager to upload that volume to a streaming service.

Please do not get rid of this function. It works fine for me. If there are bugs with the new IOS releases, please work with Apple to sort them out.

Unhappy customer!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If you have it stored on computer, why not just play it from that as a source?
I am really unhappy Sonos is discontinuing the "On This Phone" feature. I specifically bought two Sonos Play:1 speakers in December 2018 so that I could play music from my Iphone XR. I am 53 years old and own a ton of music (stored on my phone and computer). So, I am not eager to upload that volume to a streaming service.

Please do not get rid of this function. It works fine for me. If there are bugs with the new IOS releases, please work with Apple to sort them out.

Unhappy customer!!!

You do not need to upload all of it. Unless you have extremely obscure tastes (Pan flute recitals, Brazilian cuíca solos, etc), most of your music will be matched by GPM, no need to upload. GPM simply scans your library and matches the files to tracks in Google's catalog