old Play5 reset, but still linked to Spotify

• 5 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi everyone,

I sold my Play5 a while ago, and it was reset twice, but somehow is still connected to my Spotify account.  I am constantly fighting for control over my account with some stranger. Judging by this person's musical taste, it appears appears be a teenage girl!  One moment I'm chilling to some Elbow, when the next, I'm being ear raped by Witney Houston!

As stated, the Play5 has been reset, and i have also forced logout of all devices in my Spotify account, and I have changed my Spotify password.  Unfortunately this hasn't helped.  What is also interesting is that when this other person plays Spotify, it shows up as the name that I gave to my old Play5 speaker "Kitchen"; could be a coincidence, but I somehow doubt it.

Is there some way that you can break this connection in the Sonos 'back end' systems?

Thanks

James 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Try removing Spotify from your music services in the Sonos app. Then log into your Spotify account on the web and choose “Apps” in the menu and tap “Remove Access” under Sonos. Then re-add Spotify to your music services in the Sonos app.

And the next time you sell a Sonos speaker, make sure you factory reset It before letting go of it. That process removes all of your account info from the memory of the speaker.

Hi @Jimmack .  Well, first, if this person is listening to Whitney Houston, she was probably a teenage girl when you were a teenage boy.  But leaving that aside, this doesn’t make sense.  Even if you failed to factory reset the speaker properly and this person has access to your Spotify account, that person would not be able to play their choices on your speakers.

Now, Spotify Connect has the ability to preserve connection between the Spotify app and a speaker to which it has been connected even after the controller has left the network, but that hasn’t happened to any of your current speakers, and the connection would be broken as soon as you played something else anyway.

I am not convinced this has anything at all to do with your sold Play:5.  (Or if it is, it is much weirder than you think.)

Next time it happens, run a system diagnostic and post the confirmation number back here.

Does anyone else regularly play from their Spotify app on your system?

Badge

Try removing Spotify from your music services in the Sonos app. Then log into your Spotify account on the web and choose “Apps” in the menu and tap “Remove Access” under Sonos. Then re-add Spotify to your music services in the Sonos app.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.  I have just run through the changes you have suggested, and will monitor over the coming days.

Badge

Hi @Jimmack .  Well, first, if this person is listening to Whitney Houston, she was probably a teenage girl when you were a teenage boy.  But leaving that aside, this doesn’t make sense.  Even if you failed to factory reset the speaker properly and this person has access to your Spotify account, that person would not be able to play their choices on your speakers.

Now, Spotify Connect has the ability to preserve connection between the Spotify app and a speaker to which it has been connected even after the controller has left the network, but that hasn’t happened to any of your current speakers, and the connection would be broken as soon as you played something else anyway.

I am not convinced this has anything at all to do with your sold Play:5.  (Or if it is, it is much weirder than you think.)

Next time it happens, run a system diagnostic and post the confirmation number back here.

Does anyone else regularly play from their Spotify app on your system?

Hi John, thanks for getting back to me.  I have followed the advice from Guitar Superstar, and I’ll post back here with an update later.  Just to clarify, the 3rd party isn’t playing on my speakers, only on my Spotify account, so when I look at the Spotofy app during this time, it shows that music is being played on a speaker named “Kitchen”, which was what my old Play5 speaker was named.

Cheers

J