OK, so EAC and FLAC. But how?

• 11 February 2006
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
So I have made my choice, I will re-rip my collection using EAC, Accurip and with FLAC. Since I really don't want to rip my collection once more, I better get it right this time... 🙂

.. But how do I select FLAC in EAC?

Do I have to enter "User defined Encoder, and enter the path of flac.exe in the "program" edit box?

If so, do you have any good "Additional command line options" to share?

Or did I totally misunderstand how EAC is treating FLAC?

(I'm normally a Linux guy, so I am a bit lost..)

- Micael

8 replies

Userlevel 2
vespaman, you've definitely made the right choice. As far as I'm concerned, the only proper way to preserve an audio collection is by using:
  • EAC (secure mode + DISABLE C2 error correction!)
  • FLAC
  • AccurateRip

There are lots of online guides explaining how to set it up. As a Linux guy, you should be able to read these guides and figure it out. They all vary slightly, so read a few, and make sure you actually understand what they're saying, and then do it the way you want.

EAC+FLAC guides:

Make sure you set up EAC itself properly before you start worrying about FLAC. For example, make sure to disable C2 error correction. Your rips will be possibly half the speed (I get ~9x), but you'll actually get the real data. I don't know of any drives that are 100% accurate with their C2 claims, and many are VERY innaccurate. Basically, with C2, EAC trusts the drive too much and doesn't do what it does best, which is read and re-read to verify. Turn it off if you really want raw data.

And AccurateRip is great to have too, but I've found that the vast majority of my CDs aren't even in its database, and even some of the ones that are are apparently different pressings. So while it can be useful, it's not exactly disarming North Korea and feeding all of Africa at the same time.

I recently got a "Skip Dr." disc scratch remover system for about $30 at a local music store. It's a handcrank buffer with alcohol solution and some other stuff. When a CD keeps getting read errors and you can see an obvious blemish on the surface, you can feed it through this machine a few times and clean it off to get a perfect rip. I was impressed -- it actually worked, took my CD from read errors to AccurateRip-confirmed perfect rip.

Also, check out MediaMonkey for library management. It lets you tag/retag and download album art very easily. Also good for just playing FLAC audio.
http://mediamonkey.com/

-=og=-
Userlevel 2
ogdoad8,

Thank you for those links, exactly what I was looking for!

I (or rather EAC) had already disabled C2, which is fine; better "right" than quick ..

Interesting to hear that one of those disk-scratch remover actually work, I kind of thought they where no-good.

I once used some tooth paste to repair a disk with a very deep scratch. It actally worked quite good. But I would not go that route for minor scratches.

- Micael

(I'm normally a Linux guy, so I am a bit lost..)

SO why aren't you using something like kaudiocreator?

My experience on these forums suggests that Linux users are far better served than PC or Mac users when it comes to music ripping and tagging software, especially if you want to go with FLAC.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Majik,

That (kaudiocreator) is what I used the last time i ripped all my CD's, and yes, it is great, especially doing alot of rip's with its fully automated action.

But does kaudiokreator really take care to read the disks as reliably as EAC?
It is very hard to find much information about this, me thinks.

So, since I am doing it once more, I kind of thought that using EAC would be the safest bet.

It would be nice to do some kind of benchmark though. But I'm uncertain how one would do.

- Micael
Majik,

That (kaudiocreator) is what I used the last time i ripped all my CD's, and yes, it is great, especially doing alot of rip's with its fully automated action.

But does kaudiokreator really take care to read the disks as reliably as EAC?
It is very hard to find much information about this, me thinks.

kaudiocreator uses CD Paranoia which is pretty good:

Cdparanoia is a bit different than most other CDDA extration tools. It contains few-to-no 'extra' features, concentrating only on the ripping process and knowing as much as possible about the hardware performing it. Cdparanoia will read correct, rock-solid audio data from inexpensive drives prone to misalignment, frame jitter and loss of streaming during atomic reads. Cdparanoia will also read and repair data from CDs that have been damaged in some way.
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html

There is some debate over whether CDParanoia is as good as EAC. I have heard claims that older versions of Paranoia aren't good at error detection, and other that suggest that Paranoia does a better job of error correction with lightly-damaged disks. Also I have heard that EAC won't read some protected disks that Paranoia has no trouble with.

Personally I think YMMV with both products. Unless your CDs are particularly scratched up, I doubt you will hear much difference between EAC and Paranoia ripped files. If they are damaged, a CD scratch repair kit might be worth trying.

A lot of it also depends on how good your CD drive is!

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
I find EAC unstable, and not user friendly. It is the only program I have used, that can cause the "blue screen of death" with WinXP.

I use Easy CD-DA Extractor

http://www.poikosoft.com/index.html
Userlevel 2
I find EAC unstable, and not user friendly. It is the only program I have used, that can cause the "blue screen of death" with WinXP.

That's definitely a rarity. It's not really even technically possible for EAC to blue-screen WinXP. You almost certainly have bugs in your CD-ROM driver that don't get flexed under "normal" circumstances. To be best of breed, EAC pushes the hardware to the limits in ways that other programs don't, and if the hardware or drivers can't keep up, well...

-=og=-
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Bump, I ripped this discussion out of the "what codec do you use?" thread to keep that thread a little clearer. You may get more contribution here.