now that I subscribe to Rhapsody...

Userlevel 2
I installed the Sonos last week, subscribed to Rhapsody, and listen to my ripped CD music, and Rhapsody through my 3 ZP's. No problems.

My son has a computer in his room which has no ZP. If I add a ZP in his room, can he control it though the PC based Sonos controller with him being on the regular wireless network? If so, I think he still has to go to my main PC to add to the Rhapsody library. Is it possible to share a Rhapsody account on 2 PC's in 1 house? When I logged on to Rhapsody from his room, it logged off my main PC, and killed the stream to Sonos.

Any suggestions for a clean solution?

12 replies

Userlevel 2
johnschwab wrote:

I installed the Sonos last week, subscribed to Rhapsody, and listen to my ripped CD music, and Rhapsody through my 3 ZP's. No problems.

Great. :)

johnschwab wrote:

My son has a computer in his room which has no ZP. If I add a ZP in his room, can he control it though the PC based Sonos controller with him being on the regular wireless network? If so, I think he still has to go to my main PC to add to the Rhapsody library. Is it possible to share a Rhapsody account on 2 PC's in 1 house? When I logged on to Rhapsody from his room, it logged off my main PC, and killed the stream to Sonos.

Any suggestions for a clean solution?

For your first question, Yes. if your Son plugs his computer into the ZonePlayer in his room, it will bridge him (wirelessly, ZP to ZP) back to your network. Running a Sonos Desktop Controller on his PC will allow him to control the ZP.

With regard to Rhapsody, you can't share an account on two PCs simultaneously. If you login on the 2nd PC it will log the account off the first, as you've found. Some people have addressed this using VNC or RemoteDesktop. In that setup Rhapsody always runs on the same PC, and different users can connect to that PC to control it.

Hope that help.

Best,
-graham
Let’s say two users on the same Sonosnet had two separate Rhapsody accounts. Would each of the user’s Rhapsody accounts show up in the Sonos and could be played separately?

UR
UncleRobin wrote:

Let’s say two users on the same Sonosnet had two separate Rhapsody accounts. Would each of the user’s Rhapsody accounts show up in the Sonos and could be played separately?

UR

Yes, you would see multiple instances of "Rhapsody (Computername)" on the controllers, with different computer names for each computer.
Do I need a computer on and streaming to access Rhapsody? Or do I only need it to "sign in" for the house and then the ZPs can take over?

Also - has anyone used the unlimited Rhapsody to purchase songs? What format/quality and what price is offered (their web site does not say)

S.
steve wrote:

Do I need a computer on and streaming to access Rhapsody? Or do I only need it to "sign in" for the house and then the ZPs can take over?

Also - has anyone used the unlimited Rhapsody to purchase songs? What format/quality and what price is offered (their web site does not say)

S.

Sonos streams music from the Rhapsody client on your computer, which streams music from Rhapsody's servers. To answer your question: Yes, you need a computer running the Rhapsody client to access Rhapsody music.

I havn't personally purchased individual songs off Rhapsody (I only stream them) but something to be aware of is Sonos can only access songs that are available as streams - if they are purchase only, even if you purchase them they will not be able to be played on Sonos.
I was thinking that if you purchased music you could save an MP3 file in your library - and that would make it accessible.

S.
steve wrote:

I was thinking that if you purchased music you could save an MP3 file in your library - and that would make it accessible.

S.

From what I understand, music that you purchase from Rhapsody (as opposed to streaming it) is saved to your computer as an .RAX file (Real's proprietary format) which Sonos does not currently support.
Userlevel 2
But there are file converters out there with which you could save the rax files as mp3's.
I believe there is a codec for Dbpoweramp. I used Mediamonkey for the conversion and it worked like a charm.
Userlevel 2
Doesn't the Rhapsody purchased music have DRM protection?
Userlevel 2
Malcolm - Sonos wrote:

Sonos streams music from the Rhapsody client on your computer, which streams music from Rhapsody's servers. To answer your question: Yes, you need a computer running the Rhapsody client to access Rhapsody music.

I havn't personally purchased individual songs off Rhapsody (I only stream them) but something to be aware of is Sonos can only access songs that are available as streams - if they are purchase only, even if you purchase them they will not be able to be played on Sonos.

Do I have to actually ADD music to my playlist or can I just activate an account, leave my computer on and logged into Rhapsody and the Sonos Desktop software running and then would have access to the entire Rhapsody music library from my Sonos Hand controller?

Thank you.
macinfosys wrote:

Do I have to actually ADD music to my playlist or can I just activate an account, leave my computer on and logged into Rhapsody and the Sonos Desktop software running and then would have access to the entire Rhapsody music library from my Sonos Hand controller?

Thank you.

You can use the Rhapsody software to browse their entire music collection, and when you see an artist, track, or song you like, you can click the + button to add it to a music library. Sonos will read the music from that library and show it on your controllers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Am I to understand that if you have a rhapsody.com Unlimited subscription and download tracks to your library the sonos will still need to stream those tracks, it can't access the local version? I would think that playing music that is local in your library from sonos might confuse rhapsody... it attempts to serve up the local music but actually needs to go get it and stream.... I love the library/unlimited subscription because I don't like the need to continually saturate my broadband connection with streaming music.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings