Not Bluetooth

OK, there are plenty of requests here for bluetooth, and lots of discussion about why wifi is better. Agreed, I guess. But i cringe whenever I see my wife listening to an unsupported service out of here phone speaker, sitting right next to one of our sonos units!

Sonos, Can't you just create a bluetooth like wifi app that just plays whatever audio is on your phone? Seems like there is a completely tone deaf approach by sonos engineering that is not recognizing the reality of how most people want to consume music/audio.

Personally, i think the supported apps approach is great. But I also want the flexibility to "just play something" when the situation calls for it.

In short, Please get your $*** together.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
OK, there are plenty of requests here for bluetooth, and lots of discussion about why wifi is better. Agreed, I guess. But i cringe whenever I see my wife listening to an unsupported service out of here phone speaker, sitting right next to one of our sonos units!

Sonos, Can't you just create a bluetooth like wifi app that just plays whatever audio is on your phone? Seems like there is a completely tone deaf approach by sonos engineering that is not recognizing the reality of how most people want to consume music/audio.

Personally, i think the supported apps approach is great. But I also want the flexibility to "just play something" when the situation calls for it.

Hi MattS99,

The Sonos system is designed to use wireless technology instead of BlueTooth for a variety of reasons. That said, we're always looking for ways to improve, and I'll send your feedback along to our team.

We are working to bring Airplay 2 to Sonos this year though, that may be an alternative for you.
This could have been solved years ago if the play 1 had a line in jack. And wiring a Dot to it would have given voice control years before Sonos made it available, along with bluetooth via the same Dot, with the Dot parked on top of the 1.

Missed opportunity.

As to cringing, my wife now prefers the Echo with direct voice control instead of any Sonos speaker. There is nothing to be done about this, and who is to say she is wrong for the compromise she chooses that is more convenient to her?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Sonos is not a Bluetooth solution and I hope never will be. There are many good low cost Bluetooth solutions. Through a few dollars at a cheap portable player. I have thousands of dollars worth of Sonos/audio equipment WiFi enabled indoor outdoor zoned etc. My wife is capable of operating it all from her phone and through voice control. From time to time she still uses an old rechargable Bluetooth speaker.
I consider myself very fortunate to not have the fabled golden ears that would have come in the way of allowing me to enjoy music via bluetooth as well as WiFi as a replacement for legacy wired.

The problem with bluetooth is range and if the source is for multiple use like a phone that transmits all its various sounds in addition to the music to the speakers. If these two circumstances are not present, bluetooth is perfectly adequate for music lovers that also have expectations of acceptable sound quality.

And for the "just play something" flexibility the OP refers to, Bluetooth trumps both WiFi and Wired. But in the Sonos world, you need to have a play5/Connect Amp/Connect to access that. Fortunately, I have three pairs of Sonos line in jacks at home, so I get best of both worlds.

Away from the home - be it the car, or on travels, Bluetooth rules.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
On that particular note - does anyone have a recommendation for a very robust Bluetooth receiver - something with longer range, perhaps with a high gain antenna? I would like to be able to hook a Bluetooth device to my system for people who come over.
A Dot? Mine works very well. A picture attached of my desktop set up that shows this. It allows me to play all Sonos music, voice controlled music via the Dot that is wired to the Connect Amp instead of using the still half baked Sonos Alexa integration, and also everything that that the Mac can play on its speakers, via bluetooth sent to the Dot when desired. All from the KEF speaker pair. I could also use my phone to play on this set up from across the room via Bluetooth, but that use case never arises in my case. I can just shout across to the Dot.

The above is best of all worlds; the one issue is that the speakers are a tad large, but I don't plan to spend money to change that, I can live with this set up.

But would it not have been brilliant if I could have a line in jack equipped 1 pair instead, that would have done all that this set up does, but be a lot cheaper and do the same job much more elegantly? Even cable management would have been oh so simple.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
What kind of Bluetooth range does the Dot have? Also, I'd prefer to *not* add a smart device. Just my thing, don't need any new microphones in my house.
No idea about the full range, all I know is that it works very well in my room from about 15 feet across, line of sight, if needed to; I suspect that even double of that, line of sight ought to be easy. Google may offer more detail. It is also easy to turn off the mic by just a button press and leave it like that with the red LED indicating this status very clearly. Or another button press to use it if/when desired.
Badge
"The Sonos system is designed to use wireless technology instead of BlueTooth for a variety of reasons."

I don't see how adding additional feature-sets (like Bluetooth) would have any bearing on the "variety of reasons" listed. Proprietary BS is keeping a lot of folks away from your product....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
kirk Bluetooth isn't the answer. And its a mute point as there is no Bluetooth chip in Sonos speakers. Bluetooth and for that matter the original airplay have a lot of flaws.

Not being Bluetooth draws a lot of people to the product - including myself. I don't feel Sonos has any need to be a competitor in the Bluetooth arena. Sonos isn't for everyone (although you can always expand sonos with a Bluetooth dongle).

Your more robust types of casting are your Sonos, Chromecast Audio, and supposedly upcoming Airplay2. Others outside this are historically unreliable and are dependent on the controller device connectivity to keep music going.

Not that Bluetooth isn't flexible ... but its reliability walking around a house isn't what sonos was built around. Bluetooth isn't multiroom and that is Sonos core competency. If your looking for 1 speaker in 1 room then Bluetooth (while it has its drawbacks) is probably a more fitting solution.

With Sonos adding Airplay2 this year and unknown as to capabilities when they add Google Home this year as well..... sonos will have more choices for direct from device (which is what you want). They have also been working more with individual companies to add Sonos casting direct from their apps (vs. always using Sonos app). While I do prefer the Sonos app I understand where others would rather use native apps.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

if you have a play 5 or a connect, just add a bluetooth dongle with a 3.5 aux out or optical in, and she can stream via bluetooth.

something like this which have a lot longer range then the dot.
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B01H6I3YGK
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
What kind of Bluetooth range does the Dot have? Also, I'd prefer to *not* add a smart device. Just my thing, don't need any new microphones in my house.

30ft is the range of the dot's bluetooth without walls. If you go with the dot method, you will need to pair to different dots in different rooms. It will not go through the walls.
Badge +1
Given my lacking an advanced networking certification, is there any way to use the sonos app on headphones using a cell phone. Please dont worry about my connection, its 5G.
Given my lacking an advanced networking certification, is there any way to use the sonos app on headphones using a cell phone. Please dont worry about my connection, its 5G.

No. The Sonos app is a controller, it does not play music on it's own. Your mobile network is irrelevant, as the controller only works when connected to the wifi your sonos speakers are on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The original Play 5 gen 1 had a headphone output and the Connect Line-Out connection will drive headphones. They will also drive a Bluetooth transmitter so you can do either wireless headphones or a wireless speaker - but - they won't be in sync with the main Sonos music stream due to the Bluetooth delays.
OK, this looks like something Rube Goldberg came up with, but this company says its app can sync your Bluetooth speakers with your Sonos speakers, via AirPlay. Yikes! Sounds like reliability just might be an issue, lol. What a mess.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/ampme-deezer-partnership-sonos-integration-1202893153/
Lack of Bluetooth or airplay is a major pain. I put Sonos play 1’s in my cottage but only cellular data. Streaming continuously is bad for my data plan. I have a lot of content downloaded to my phone but no way to play it. Major disappointment when elitist attitudes trump basic functionality.

love the Sonos system but very disappointed.
Huh? Oh, you mean the lack of it on PLAY:1s? That hardware was designed / implemented many, many years ago, and apparently doesn't have the horsepower to be a target of AirPlay 2.

I use AirPlay 2 on almost a daily basis, in order to get my TuneIn Premium broadcast of the Giants baseball games. And to listen to podcasts.

Sometimes I will group my Sonos speakers that are AirPlay 2 targets (my PLAY:5s and Sonos Ones) with my PLAY:1s to get them to play the baseball games.