Non-standard genres?

• 16 October 2005
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
I imported the album "Bootsy Collins: Back In The Day" using iTunes.

It was classified as something silly, like "Rock" or such. So, I went in a change the genre - to a custom name, "Funk".

It shows up in iTunes as "Funk", but the Sonos controller only sees it as its original category. No "Funk" category exists.

Does Sonos not support custom genres?

14 replies

SONOS doesn't care what text is in the field.

Note that SONOS works with tags on a track by track basis. You must change the text on each track.

Also, you must re-index the SONOS Music Library after making any changes.
Userlevel 2
Sorry, perhaps I need to be a lot more clear and spell out the details.

Every song is changed to the genre of "Funk"

I've re-indexed about 12 times since I've done this (11 times to pick up other changes...). No dice.

Does anyone know if Sonos supports the non standard genres?
Userlevel 2
Sonos will supoprt whatever you enter as a genre tag. I've used Tag & Rename to tag my library of FLAC Rips, and created numerous custom genres withut a hitch. It's just a field that Sonos reads--it doesn't care what's in the field. If you created a genre called yubyub, it should work just fine. Not sure why you're hvaing trouble with the "funk" genre. Might give Tag & Rename a try. There are probably other programs that can do the same thing.
Userlevel 2
bostonbear,

What were you using to organize your music? Were you playing straight from .flac's?

Just wondering if the differences in our music formats may cause different experiences for us...
Either you are changing one library and SONOS is playing from another or iTunes is not updating the individual tracks.

I'm not an iTunes user. Perhaps iTunes works from a directory which is separate from the music files. SONOS works strictly from the music files. If only an iTunes directory has been changed, SONOS will not reflect these changes.
Userlevel 2
Let me rephrase the question:

If I change the Genre in iTunes to a "non -standard" entry (one which isn't listed by default in the drop down list of genres), should the Sonos system properly pick it up and index it as such?

I'm looking for an answer from someone who knows - not an educated guess.
SONOS doesn't care. You can use the dog's name as a genre. I am a "casual" typist (lots of mistakes) and all of my typo generes are included in the SONOS index.

Many of us use a program called Tag&Rename to fix this sort of issue, but there are many other programs.
Userlevel 2
Let me rephrase the question:

If I change the Genre in iTunes to a "non -standard" entry (one which isn't listed by default in the drop down list of genres), should the Sonos system properly pick it up and index it as such?

I'm looking for an answer from someone who knows - not an educated guess.

Yubyub,

As buzz said, Sonos just displays what's in the metadata field. The system has no concept of standard vs. non-standard genres.

If you are still having problems, please contact Sonos Support if you'd like some individual assistance.

Best,
-graham
OK here are my results. I went into iTunes and changed a track’s genre to Funk (it was a custom genre). Before I did a Sonos re-index there was no Funk genre listed. After I did a re-index Funk showed up listing the track I changed.

So my findings are, yes you can use a custom genre in iTunes and Sonos recognizes it.

FWIW – I changed the genre back and did a re-index and Funk went away on the Sonos genre listing.

UR
UR,

In iTunes is there a difference between changing an individual track's genre and changing the album's genre?

Does iTunes maintain it's own index? If so, it may be possible for one to change the iTunes index without changing the tracks' tags.
UR,

In iTunes is there a difference between changing an individual track's genre and changing the album's genre?

Does iTunes maintain it's own index? If so, it may be possible for one to change the iTunes index without changing the tracks' tags.

OK I did the same thing only I did a whole album instead of a single track. Same result. The only difference was iTunes asked me if I really wanted to change data on multiple items. From that I can surmise that iTunes makes the changes to each track on the album and not to the album so to speak.

There is an iTunes Music Library.XLM file, however I’m not really sure what it is for. Somebody will probably chime in with info.

BTW – The files I experimented with were AAC.

UR
Userlevel 2
OK I did the same thing only I did a whole album instead of a single track. Same result. The only difference was iTunes asked me if I really wanted to change data on multiple items. From that I can surmise that iTunes makes the changes to each track on the album and not to the album so to speak.

There is an iTunes Music Library.XLM file, however I’m not really sure what it is for. Somebody will probably chime in with info.

BTW – The files I experimented with were AAC.

UR

Strange. I've done the same thing - changed the genre for multiple tracks (highlight all, change info, changed the genre) but it's not showing up.

Okay - if this works for you, I've gotta be doing something differently or wrong.

Thanks for the data point, UncleRobin.

Edit: I'm using AAC encoding as well (256k vbr).
Userlevel 2
Hey Yubyub,

Probably the most expedient thing to do is to contact support so that they can help you out.

US/Canada: 800.680.2345 toll free or 801.715.5505
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., EST
Saturday, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., EST

UK: 0808 2346596 toll free
NL: 0800 0234361 toll free
EU: +1 801 656 1005
Monday - Friday, 1 p.m. - 2 a.m., GMT
Saturday, 5 p.m. - 10 p.m., GMT

Best,
-graham
Userlevel 2
Will do tomorrow, thanks. I wanted to see if anyone else here has seen the same thing...