No Audio when streaming via Airplay to Apple TV to Beam via Airplay 2

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
We bought a Sonos Beam to replace our B&O Beolit '12 Airplay enabled speaker in the living room. We are using an Apple TV (4. gen) connected to a projector. So far the audio of video content was streamed to the Beolit via Airplay from the Apple TV. We liked this because of the cablelessness. Now Airplay 1 wasn't always that stable hence the upgrade to the Beam beacause of Airplay 2 A/V sync capabilities. Now we have a problem that content when streamed via an Macbook e.g. from Youtube via the Airplay option in Safari (same with just airplay monitor sync or Beamer app) to the Apple TV we have image but no audio anymore. Tried to create a little table below to explain the problem. #4 is the problem with no audio. Is this a general Airplay 2 problem (same with Homepod?) or some problem with the Sonos implementation of Airplay 2?

7 replies

Same issue here. Setup is appletv, Sonos 5 and projector. I have to select airplay as Audio output every time, for netflix and other Apple TV apps it works, but not for AirPlay from phone or laptop.
Badge
The cause of the problem is the following: the Apple TV can ONLY AirPlay audio to another device if it is the source of the media. You can’t AirPlay from a Mac to an Apple TV and at the same time have AirPlay audio on the SONOS Beam streamed by the Apple TV. On the MacBook try to select the Apple TV AND the SONOS Beam as output devices. I don’t have a current Mac to test your situation but if it doesn’t work you will need to stream audio from the projector to the Beam with a cable to see content from the MacBook.
Badge
When you stream from the MacBook to the Apple TV audio is output only through the HDMI port of the Apple TV to the projector.
Badge
I have tested my suggestion. It won’t work. AirPlay can’t send audio to one device and video to another device. With my suggestion, video would continue to play on the MacBook and audio would be sent to the Beam AND to the Apple TV. The audio sent to the Apple TV from the MacBook would be output through HDMI to the projector.
yayarod wrote:

I have tested my suggestion. It won’t work. AirPlay can’t send audio to one device and video to another device. With my suggestion, video would continue to play on the MacBook and audio would be sent to the Beam AND to the Apple TV. The audio sent to the Apple TV from the MacBook would be output through HDMI to the projector.

In the apple TV settings u can choose the audio output (even HDMI plus whichever Sonos u have) that's what bugs me
Badge
STGRN wrote:

yayarod wrote:

In the apple TV settings u can choose the audio output (even HDMI plus whichever Sonos u have) that's what bugs me

The audio output options you choose on an Apple TV ONLY work if it is the SOURCE of the media you are playing. If you are using AirPlay to send video or audio to it, either from a Mac, an iPhone or an iPad only the HDMI port will be active for audio output. If you have set it up to send audio to a SONOS speaker or an Apple AirPort Express, if you are sending audio or video to the Apple TV with AirPlay, there won’t be audio output to this devices.
SONOS! Fix this issue already! Can't believe this was released as working with airplay when I cant airplay...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings