Answered

No Audio when streaming via Airplay to Apple TV to Beam via Airplay 2

We bought a Sonos Beam to replace our B&O Beolit '12 Airplay enabled speaker in the living room. We are using an Apple TV (4. gen) connected to a projector. So far the audio of video content was streamed to the Beolit via Airplay from the Apple TV. We liked this because of the cablelessness. Now Airplay 1 wasn't always that stable hence the upgrade to the Beam beacause of Airplay 2 A/V sync capabilities. Now we have a problem that content when streamed via an Macbook e.g. from Youtube via the Airplay option in Safari (same with just airplay monitor sync or Beamer app) to the Apple TV we have image but no audio anymore. Tried to create a little table below to explain the problem. #4 is the problem with no audio. Is this a general Airplay 2 problem (same with Homepod?) or some problem with the Sonos implementation of Airplay 2?

icon

Best answer by yayarod 13 March 2019, 00:24

Same issue here. Very frustrating knowing that the whole reason I purchased the speakers were that they were capable of airplay 2, so I got rid of my 10 year old home theater system. I purchased the beam and 2 ones for surround sound. It works amazing when playing anything from the Apple TV apps. BUT when I airplay any video at all from my phone my tv only plays the video on the tv with only sound through the tv and no sonos/ OR I click the sonos speakers on my phone and it stops playing video on my tv and plays only sound through sonos speakers. I’ve spent an hour on the phone and they don’t understand what I’m talking about because they made me tell them what modem and what router and what tv I have and they still couldn’t figure it out. Is this an apple problem or a sonos problem. HELP!!!

Hi rlr2388,
to allow that your setup works as you expect yo need to connect both the Apple TV and the SONOS Beam each with one cable to the TV.
To only hear music you can use the SONOS app with your selected services or use AirPlay from your iOS device.
With this setup if you AirPlay a video to the Apple TV it will sound through your SONOS system since it’s cable connected to your TV.
As I wrote earlier in this thread, you only can select the audio output on the Apple TV if it is the source of the media, if you are using AirPlay on it, audio defaults to the HDMI output, but since the Beam would be cabled to your TV you would get sound through them.
You will need to connect the Beam to an HDMI ARC port on your TV and the Apple TV to a regular one.
Hope this helps!
View original

12 replies

Same issue here. Setup is appletv, Sonos 5 and projector. I have to select airplay as Audio output every time, for netflix and other Apple TV apps it works, but not for AirPlay from phone or laptop.
Badge
The cause of the problem is the following: the Apple TV can ONLY AirPlay audio to another device if it is the source of the media. You can’t AirPlay from a Mac to an Apple TV and at the same time have AirPlay audio on the SONOS Beam streamed by the Apple TV. On the MacBook try to select the Apple TV AND the SONOS Beam as output devices. I don’t have a current Mac to test your situation but if it doesn’t work you will need to stream audio from the projector to the Beam with a cable to see content from the MacBook.
Badge
When you stream from the MacBook to the Apple TV audio is output only through the HDMI port of the Apple TV to the projector.
Badge
I have tested my suggestion. It won’t work. AirPlay can’t send audio to one device and video to another device. With my suggestion, video would continue to play on the MacBook and audio would be sent to the Beam AND to the Apple TV. The audio sent to the Apple TV from the MacBook would be output through HDMI to the projector.
I have tested my suggestion. It won’t work. AirPlay can’t send audio to one device and video to another device. With my suggestion, video would continue to play on the MacBook and audio would be sent to the Beam AND to the Apple TV. The audio sent to the Apple TV from the MacBook would be output through HDMI to the projector.

In the apple TV settings u can choose the audio output (even HDMI plus whichever Sonos u have) that's what bugs me
Badge

In the apple TV settings u can choose the audio output (even HDMI plus whichever Sonos u have) that's what bugs me

The audio output options you choose on an Apple TV ONLY work if it is the SOURCE of the media you are playing. If you are using AirPlay to send video or audio to it, either from a Mac, an iPhone or an iPad only the HDMI port will be active for audio output. If you have set it up to send audio to a SONOS speaker or an Apple AirPort Express, if you are sending audio or video to the Apple TV with AirPlay, there won’t be audio output to this devices.
SONOS! Fix this issue already! Can't believe this was released as working with airplay when I cant airplay...
Same issue here. Very frustrating knowing that the whole reason I purchased the speakers were that they were capable of airplay 2, so I got rid of my 10 year old home theater system. I purchased the beam and 2 ones for surround sound. It works amazing when playing anything from the Apple TV apps. BUT when I airplay any video at all from my phone my tv only plays the video on the tv with only sound through the tv and no sonos/ OR I click the sonos speakers on my phone and it stops playing video on my tv and plays only sound through sonos speakers. I’ve spent an hour on the phone and they don’t understand what I’m talking about because they made me tell them what modem and what router and what tv I have and they still couldn’t figure it out. Is this an apple problem or a sonos problem. HELP!!!
Badge

Hi rlr2388,
to allow that your setup works as you expect yo need to connect both the Apple TV and the SONOS Beam each with one cable to the TV.
To only hear music you can use the SONOS app with your selected services or use AirPlay from your iOS device.
With this setup if you AirPlay a video to the Apple TV it will sound through your SONOS system since it’s cable connected to your TV.
As I wrote earlier in this thread, you only can select the audio output on the Apple TV if it is the source of the media, if you are using AirPlay on it, audio defaults to the HDMI output, but since the Beam would be cabled to your TV you would get sound through them.
You will need to connect the Beam to an HDMI ARC port on your TV and the Apple TV to a regular one.
Hope this helps!
I found a way to make this work - I was watching movies through ITUNES (Home Movies) - streaming from iMac to AppleTV (3rd Gen) HDMI cable wired to OPTOMA projector with sound playing via Airplay2 to SONOS Beam. It WAS awesome. Watched a dozen movies this way. Then abruptly I'm having the problem you describe and I'm either able to send picture without audio or vice versa. While picture is playing if I attempt to redirect the audio to SONOS Beam, the picture cuts out. I've double checked everything. I went out an bought AppleTV 4K 4th Gen and still the same problem. I really hope someone solves this problem. I'm still able to watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu with picture through projector and sound through SONOS.... just can't stream a file into AppleTV and get picture feed to projector with audio to SONOS.
That seems like an issue in Apple’s AirPlay 2 software, not Sonos’. Maybe a post on an Apple forum would be advised?
Badge
Hi JRAFA,
the problem you are having now appears when streaming from your iMac?
Where are you running Netflix, etc. from?
Please take in account my most important comment: if you AirPlay to an Apple TV you can only get audio through the HDMI port.
In your initially working setup with your iMac I guess you selected both the Apple TV and the SONOS speaker in the AirPlay menu in the iMac.