Answered

No Audible, How about a Refund?

• 10 January 2018
  • 14 replies

Badge +1
The best I can find is a third party pc app 'Stream What You Hear' on which I can play BBC IPlayer radio.But I was told by the salesman in Ritcher sounds that Audible WOULD be back so I went for these instead of Bose, which was a massive mistake
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 January 2018, 19:11

Hi Toneart, Audible is coming to Sonos soon. You'll be able to use the Audible app to play directly to Sonos, in addition to using a built in Audible integration, and using Alexa to start and play Audible streams. We'll share more soon, but we're holding back from sharing an official release date just yet. Stay tuned!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Toneart, Audible is coming to Sonos soon. You'll be able to use the Audible app to play directly to Sonos, in addition to using a built in Audible integration, and using Alexa to start and play Audible streams. We'll share more soon, but we're holding back from sharing an official release date just yet. Stay tuned!
Badge +1
Thanks for that information Ryan. Sorry to sound dismissive, but we’ve been told before that it was soon to come back and it will be great if it does.
I can’t get exited about Alexa because I gave it away due to it not understanding half of what I said coupled with difficulty in getting it to work with Philips Hue, Nest and anything else. But the Google is very good, easy to use and coupled with the Chromecast- Happy days!
Please don’t tell me I’ll have to have to buy one of those Play1 with Alexa built in?
Regards Toneart
Badge +1
Also I’d love to play BBC I-Player Radio (which I can via Chromecast to my Yamaha TV sound bar) might we see compatibility with I-Player radio or through Google and some kind of casting?
I discovered recently I can listen to I-Player but only via my laptop and using the third party app ‘Stream What You Hear’ I wish that was available as a phone app
Regards again
Toneart
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We haven't shared all the details around how Google Assistant will be working with Sonos, when it does get added. But the plan we have shared is that you'll be able to use Google Assistant with the Sonos One. (There were some recent changes to the microphone wake word detection code by the way, so if you had a Sonos One that was a little hard of hearing, it'd be good to test it out with the most recent software).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also - remember Airplay2 is coming. If you have an iOS device then that means you can play about anything to Sonos (iplayer included).
Badge +1
Interesting. But as I’m now physically disabled and had to close my business, I don’t want to spend £150 on a Play 1 with Alexa built in. Ideally I want Google to work with the two Play 3’s I already have. Will that be possible???

Apple I Operating System .. I’m hoping then that that will let me hear more via my iPhone.. without having to buy anything else???

AirPlay 2, I’ve googled that and it looks very interesting. (Also though I notice my iPhone 6 will be compatible, but my iPad 2 will not)
Thanks
Badge +1
I also read that the Sonos 1 will have a setup button where the mounting screw currently is. How will people who spend £150 plus the cost of a bracket, be able to mount the unit?
Regards
Toneart
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There are dedicated brackets available for the One. Personally I think an Echo dot and Play 1 to be a better option for me.
Badge +1
Brackets were not mentioned in the article. For me the Echo was simply unable to understand my voice and many operations whilst Google had no problems.
Do you have the Play 1 with Alexa built in or are you going to buy one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have 3 alexa devices and Play1s, 5 and Playbase. It works very well for me. I don't like the Sonos One as it does not feature the "drop in" intercom functions and a few other features the Native Amazon devices have. I would hope the Google home integration would be similar and not require a Sonos one but would work with existing kit. However I am unlikely to go down the Google route as I am heavily invested in automation on my Alexa devices and it all works so well I see no need to change..,.. other than to have a play with a new device!
Badge +1
Also - remember Airplay2 is coming. If you have an iOS device then that means you can play about anything to Sonos (iplayer included).
Badge +1
I’ve just read further into Airplay 2 and Sonos is NOT in the list of compatible speakers. I see Bose is
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Probably because it is not yet available? Sonos have announced they are working on Airplay 2 linky. It looks to be a software solution but may not, I assume due to memory requirements in each device, be available on all Sonos devices.
Found an acceptable alternative for now: AUDIOBOOKS.COM. It works with Sonos!