No Apple Music Genres button in Sonos app on iPhone

Userlevel 1
I don't see the Genres option in the Sonos app, when using Apple Music on iPhone 6. And when I use Apple's app (instead of Sonos app), I don't see a way to play to my Play1. Am I missing something? No Genres = deal-breaker for me. All apps & OS are up to date. Any thoughts appreciated!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi dr789, which Genres are you looking for? In the Apple Music service page for Sonos there are Genre Radios which are currently not available, but we're working with Apple to bring them back in.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Ryan. Attached are two screenshots from my phone, while using the Apple Music app (part of the iTunes app). Genres gives you access to the whole Apple Music catalog, broken down by music genre (ex: Jazz). You can pick subcategories, playlists, artists, songs, etc.. I don't see how to access this in Sonos.
The Sonos genres functionality you mentioned is under Radio, which as I understand it, is live continuous radio stations, where you join a stream that is already playing (no song or album choice).
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for the screenshots, that helps. There isn't a browse option for Apple Music in Sonos for finding music like that. You can search, but not for just a genre. I'll pass the request on for you.
Userlevel 1
Thanks a lot. Honestly, that's how I (and I assume many others) frequently use streaming services, when they know what type of music they're in the mood for, but they want the app to do the work of choosing artists and songs. If there's no rights/contract obstacle for Sonos to add that feature, that would be huge. Thanks again.
Any progress since? I have a huge personal library in Apple Music, that I can access through sonos, but besides playlists music is also organised in genres. I can use the genre's apple music app on phone, But I cannot select genre's or search genre's in Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
There hasn't been a change to the Genres in Apple Music, but I'll pass your voice on to the request.
Genres is a valuable filter when browsing for music. +1 for adding this for the Apple Music service in the SONOS controller.
Just to clarify, all of these music browsing paths are available in the SONOS conrtoller:

Apple Music > My Music > Artists > Albums > Songs

Apple Music > My Music > Albums > Songs

Apple Music > My Music > Songs

Apple Music > My Music > Playlists > Songs

Apple Music > My Music > Compilations > Albums > Songs

Apple Music > My Music > Recently Added > Albums > Songs

It would also be VERY nice to have:

Apple Music > My Music > Genres > Artists > Albums > Songs
Yes please - I always browse my Apple Music library using genres. Please add this search option. I feel like reggae but can’t remember the record, so I go to genres and flip through the music until I find what I want.
Apple Music > My Music > Genres > Artists > Albums
Thank you!!
Any update? This is absolutely necessary and shouldn't be hard to do. Thx!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Ask Apple, it is their service that provides the data you see in the Sonos app.
I'd expect the developers to talk to each other directly... In any case, in iTunes it's a standard view. Thx
I'd expect the developers to talk to each other directly...

And they do. However, if I were to inform you that Apple is wholly in charge of the user experience on the Sonos app, and it is far more effective for you to lobby Apple directly in addition to lobbying by proxy via Sonos, why would one insist on lobbying only through Sonos? Is it not worth another 5-10 minutes of your time to post over at Apple Music support?

Sorry to drag this up, but isn’t it Sonos that uses that data to present what we see in the Sonos controller? If so, then it’s really Sonos we need to get to do the work.

The Apple Music API has changed a lot since Sonos released the Apple Music functionality (after Apple bought Beats...years ago).

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applemusicapi/catalog_resources should be a good starting point for getting this data. It’s really seems to point that the data is available, it’s just Sonos that isn’t putting any resources to making it happen.

Sorry to drag this up, but isn’t it Sonos that uses that data to present what we see in the Sonos controller? If so, then it’s really Sonos we need to get to do the work.

The Apple Music API has changed a lot since Sonos released the Apple Music functionality (after Apple bought Beats...years ago).

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applemusicapi/catalog_resources should be a good starting point for getting this data. It’s really seems to point that the data is available, it’s just Sonos that isn’t putting any resources to making it happen.

No, it is Apple. Apple uses the Sonos Music Partners API to develop their user interface within the Sonos app. While held to Sonos style and spec, it is up the the service what to implement, and what features they include. Sonos doesn't do much more than QA. See here for details:

https://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21
I also wish there was the "genre" option in Sonos apps. Its the standard way I select the music I want Never have much success requesting these things with apple...maybe Sonos can action proactive on it?
cheers
Badge
+1 for Apple Music "Genre -> Artist -> Album" navigation.
++1 if albums are then listed by release date (i.e., by year).

Thanks!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings