Question

No album or artist in Google Play Music

• 16 January 2016
  • 13 replies

I am new to Sonos and Google Music. I set up my Sonos system and connected it to a file share on my Linux server and also an Amazon music account without problem. But I am having problems with the syncing the Google music account.

I added a couple of albums to my Google account, one via the chrome plugin and one via the Google music manger application. Both albums show in Google music in chrome with the artist name, album name and all the tracks. But in my Sonos app (android and Windows) only the songs show up. If I look I artist, album or genre there is nothing listed, but in the songs list each track shows the artist and album name.

I have seen other posts from people have problems syncing with Google music but I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Usually it seems to be that the tracks show up under artist and album but not in songs! And all those posts seem to over 1 year old. Any ideas?

The music is all mp3 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Never mind, I uploaded the rest of my music via the Google music manger and it shows with album and artist information in Sonos. Strange. I'm sure I didn't do anything different and the original 2 albums still weren't showing under artist or album so I had to fix those manually by editing them in Google music.
I have the same problem. I didn't upload any files into Google Music, I just use it for streaming. I add many albums in my library, available on PC/Mac and iOS app (iPhone + iPad). My SONOS app shows no album in Google Play Music. When I search for an album and I add it to my library, I got the "already in your library" message. No albums, no artists and no genres too! "Titles" is a mess because all the songs in my library are there, but sorted alphabetically, no regards to group artists/album together. I reinstalled the sonos app, tried to remove and add albums, within Sonos app, within Google music play apps, on the Google Music website, etc...

😞
Another thread here in the same subject https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/google-play-music-library-emptyincorrectnot-updating-6535476/index1.html#post15996728
After all that Sonos seems to have synced with Google music, although I haven't done a count of tracks in each service to check they are the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Is anyone still having issues having followed the suggestions in the other thread? If so, please respond with a confirmation number after having run a diagnostic of your system. Just in case this points to anything. In any case, please let me know of any developments in your issue.
The only way I found to force sync between GPM and Sonos is to import an album in GPM from my hard drive. It's kinda annoying.. I have to do this after each modification in GPM to get my album list up to date. But it works, flawless. So, this is NOT a normal behaviour. I except a real and permanent solution.

I already send a diagnostic to Sonos French Staff (sorry my poor english is not so well), and I'm with touch with technical support since a week. I have tried to remove GPM account from Sonos, add another account (girlfriend's account), change DNS from my router, restart all my network... still the same issue.
Badge
Is anyone still having issues having followed the suggestions in the other thread? If so, please respond with a confirmation number after having run a diagnostic of your system. Just in case this points to anything. In any case, please let me know of any developments in your issue.
Hi,
I have been unable to update my Google play music library on any of the Sonos apps for several days now. The changes I have made, adding or deleting albums, are reflected in the Google library, but not on Sonos. I have tried removing the Google Play music service on Sonos then re-starting all Sonos devices, then re-adding GPM as well as restarting everything etc including router. No luck so far. I seem to remember this happened some time ago and not sure how it was resolved. Any suggestions welcome. Diagnostics submitted, #5517823.
Thanks and regards
Just a wild guess but you could try selecting all tracks in Google music, going to the edit page and clicking Save without changing any values. I think in my case that may have got Sonos to wake up and detect the change. Maybe.

Clearly there is a problem in Sonos with the Google music integration because this same issue keeps coming up. Time for Sonos to fix it once and for all, please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
I have been unable to update my Google play music library on any of the Sonos apps for several days now. The changes I have made, adding or deleting albums, are reflected in the Google library, but not on Sonos. I have tried removing the Google Play music service on Sonos then re-starting all Sonos devices, then re-adding GPM as well as restarting everything etc including router. No luck so far. I seem to remember this happened some time ago and not sure how it was resolved. Any suggestions welcome. Diagnostics submitted, #5517823.
Thanks and regards

Hi Jamiefor2,

There are some wireless interference spikes which could explain why the tracks on Google Play are not updating. It looks like there are quite a few wireless networks in range of your Sonos speakers. The current Sonos channel, 6, is a crowded channel in your area. Try changing your Sonos system from channel 6 to channel to 1 or 11. After a few minutes, see if your Google Play library updates. If not, try the third channel option and give the system a couple minutes to update.

If you are still unable to access all of your Google Play music, please send us another diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Badge
Hi,
Thanks and regards

Hi Jamiefor2,

There are some wireless interference spikes which could explain why the tracks on Google Play are not updating. It looks like there are quite a few wireless networks in range of your Sonos speakers. The current Sonos channel, 6, is a crowded channel in your area. Try changing your Sonos system from channel 6 to channel to 1 or 11. After a few minutes, see if your Google Play library updates. If not, try the third channel option and give the system a couple minutes to update.

If you are still unable to access all of your Google Play music, please send us another diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.

Hello,
thanks for your reply. Still no luck unfortunately. New diagnostics #5519823.
regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello,
thanks for your reply. Still no luck unfortunately. New diagnostics #5519823.
regards

Hi Jamiefor2,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting on the phone. Here's a support ticket: 160229-001332. Please give us a call and we'll help out. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Am I correct in thinking that the Google Play Artists display on Sonos can be different from the other services, in particular, Apple Music? However it does depend on the settings in the Sonos Controller software... for instance...

In the ARTISTS display in Google Play, I have noticed that it shows/displays every single Artist, including all those from compilation albums, when you set the 'manage music library' to use 'iTunes compilations' ... Surely that setting should go on to group the artists under the 'album artist' name of 'Compilations' or at the very least under the usual name of 'Various Artists'... It doesn't do either of these things, instead it displays every single artists name.

It's not what I expected to see when i set the 'manage music library' option to use iTunes compilations.

I'm now going to change the setting back to simply use 'Album Artist' ... I assume then that Apple Music will now lose its 'COMPILATIONS' entry name (situated at the top of the Artist list) and switch it back to 'VARIOUS ARTISTS'... which is a bit of nuisance to scroll to in my library.

I personally think that the 'Use iTunes Compilation Service' setting ought to work for every music service installed, so that things look the same across all the music services or otherwise the option (probably the easier option) should be to remove the setting 'Use iTunes Compilation Service' in manage music library.

Personally I quite like the setting and prefer to have my 'compilations' right at the top of all my Artist lists.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm not too sure if this has any bearing on the discussion here, but though I ought to mention it, just in case?

Ken
Following on from my post above... Despite switching the Sonos Controller software to use ALBUM ARTIST, in 'manage music library' it is clear that the Google Play Service is not taking that setting on board, as it still continues to show all ARTISTS and does not group its list by ALBUM ARTISTS ... (i.e. VARIOUS ARTISTS).

It certainly looks like it is not working correctly at the moment... That's after waiting for everything to update.

The new Apple Service is however working correctly at the moment and the 'compilations' entry does indeed change to Various Artists.

So the issue appears to be just with the Google Play Service.

Ken
I know I'm late to this party but I just spent the better part of a day trying to figure out why I was missing albums/songs from certain artists. I just purchased Alt-J's latest album and I could not for the life of me get it to appear in the Sonos client on my Mac. That's when I noticed a Twenty One Pilots album were "missing" as well. No matter how many different ways I tried syncing those albums just weren't there ... or were they?

In anger I started scrolling through the artist list and blasted past the T's and ended up at the end of the list, where a lower case alt-J and a lower case twenty one pilots were sitting. Hey! Those are what I've been looking for all along!

Logging onto Google Play via a Chrome window I went to the albums that were labelled Alt-J amd TWP and edited the album info to set the artist's name to their lower case version, alt-J and twp. I then went in to each album and edited each track to verify that the artist name was lower cased there as well. Then back to the Sonos app and hit Manage -> Update Music Library, and boom, there they are, like they're supposed to be.

The only oddity that I can't explain is that one or two songs disappeared from the Sonos app on my Mac, but I could see them just fine on my Android app. Going back and editing the missing song via Chrome->GMP, re-entering the info to force an update fixed those as well.