New Rhapsody Connection Problem

• 16 February 2006
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
This really isn't a Sonos issue, but I would appreciate any insight.

I recently signed up for the Rhapsody service, since reading all about how it had been fixed with Sonos.

What I am experiencing, is that periodically, as a song changes, my Cable Modem is kicked offline. I notice that there is definately increased activity as songs change from one track to another, and it is during this period of intense activity that I loose my internet connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I really like the Rhapsody service with Sonos, but to have to frequently re-boot my Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem, to bring my internet connection back, is not going to work for me.

Thanks,
Phil

16 replies

How is your internet connection wired? Do you have a router installed between your computer and the cable modem? How is the SONOS system connected to your computer?

Do you experience a problem only when using Rhapsody? When your internet connection appears to go down, can you play Internet radio on your SONOS system? Can you play music on your SONOS?
Userlevel 2
My there is a router between my cable modem and my PC. Sonos is plugged into the router.

When the cable modem goes down, nothing works, I have no internet connection.

It has been pretty good today, so I suspect my modem signal is a bit low (2db download signal strength) and it just gets knocked off by the Rhapsody activity.
Free,

There is a status light on your cable modem indicating that you have a connection to your cable system's network. Does this light go out or change color?

Have you tried rebooting your router, not the modem?

Do you know how to make basic probes of your network using ipconfig (Windows only) and ping?
Userlevel 2
Buzz, the light goes out, and I loose my connection. When I re-boot the modem, the cable connection comes back, no need to re-boot the router.

Not entirely sure about the ping method, but I have run a diagnostic on the modem, and the download signal strength is within parameters, but not really strong.

It has been up all day, so I am not experiencing the problem now, but I still wish I knew why it happens so I could prevent it from occurring when I least expect it.
Userlevel 2
FYI, This is a D-Link issue, not Rhapsody's fault... We investigated here and found that the current version of some D-Link routers crash if they receive a UPnP message with more than 12 lines in the header. The Rhapsody 3.1 release added a few lines to their header (this is totally within the the UPnP specification, so its not an error on their part), which is causing the D-link to reset.

The change that Mike mentions above causes the D-Link to ignore the UPnP message and not crash.

Best,
-graham
Userlevel 2
Thanks guy's, but I am using an SMC router, and it has not crashed, or caused any problems. The issue is with the cable modem only (Motorola Surfboard).
Free,

While I'm not using Rhapsody, my SMC router did crash while I was using the SONOS. It was a unique, non repeatable situation that probably involved the SONOS and W2000, but that was never proven. I bring this up only to show that it is possible to crash the router, but I'm not sure exactly how -- and that was the only time that the SMS has misbehaved in any way.
Userlevel 2
I just want to re-emphasize, that I have not had any problems with the Sonos part of the equation, it just appears to be a Rhapsody problem.
Userlevel 2
Ok, just wanted to update, I think this is a problem with my ISP. I have called for repair, as my connection has been dropping without Sonos, or Rhapsody playing. Sorry for the trouble guy's.
Userlevel 2
The repair guy came out yesterday and tweaked my connection. Now my signal strength is perfect. This morning I lost my connection :(

I have communicated with level two of Rhapsody support, and they are saying that it is a UPNP problem, although I don't see it. I have tried disabling UPNP in Rhapsody, and then Sonos doesn't work. They suggested disabling UPNP in my router, but I don't see it in my SMC Barricade settings.

I am also having an issue, where a Sonos Controller is loosing connection with the ZP, when I put it in the cradle. The ZP is only a few feet away when it does this, and the only way to re-establish connection is by doing a reset on the controller.
Userlevel 2
The repair guy came out yesterday and tweaked my connection. Now my signal strength is perfect. This morning I lost my connection :(

I have communicated with level two of Rhapsody support, and they are saying that it is a UPNP problem, although I don't see it. I have tried disabling UPNP in Rhapsody, and then Sonos doesn't work. They suggested disabling UPNP in my router, but I don't see it in my SMC Barricade settings.

I am also having an issue, where a Sonos Controller is loosing connection with the ZP, when I put it in the cradle. The ZP is only a few feet away when it does this, and the only way to re-establish connection is by doing a reset on the controller.

Make sure you are running the latest rhapsody release (under the about menu the version ends in .270), Rhapsody fixed a number of UPnP issues in that build.

If you're still having problems give our tech support a call and they'll help you out:

English Support:
US/Canada: 800.680.2345 toll free or 801.715.5505
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., EST
Saturday, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., EST

UK: 0808 2346596 toll free
NL: 0800 0234361 toll free
EU: +1 801 656 1005
Monday - Friday, 1 p.m. - 2 a.m., GMT
Saturday, 5 p.m. - 10 p.m., GMT

German Support:
DE: 0800 0005339
Monday - Friday, 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., GMT
Userlevel 2
I tried to install Rhapsody 3.1.0.270 in my Compaq Laptop running Windows XP professional.

During the entire process I kept getting Windows XP errors stating that this software did not pass the Windows "Logo Test" and thus would not be installed.

I've never encountered this BLOCKAGE before. What is it and how do I circumvert it in order to install the most current Rhapsody build?

Thanks to all.

Sam
[ ... ]
They suggested disabling UPNP in my router, but I don't see it in my SMC Barricade settings.
[ ... ]

I have a UPnP setting on my Barricade, but I'm not at that location at the moment and I can't remember exactly where it is. (Probably on one of the LAN screens) As I remember the default is OFF.
Userlevel 2
I do have the latest Rhapsody software, and there is no UPNP setting in my Barricade (7004). I opened a help ticket with Sonos, and got some good suggestions. Will keep you posted.
Userlevel 2
Who's your ISP. We've had many problems with Rhapsody users that have Comcast accounts. Evidently, if you sign up for Rhapsody with a Comcast email address you are automatically enrolled in a "special" Rhapsody service (special in the sense that it uses an added authentication server that causes problems with Rhapsody/Sonos integration) due to a joint marketing agreement between the two companies. We've solved the problem by simply reprovisioning the Rhapsody account using an alternative email address.
Userlevel 2
Actually, it turned out to be a problem with my Cable signal. My provider is Cox, and they screw the signal up every few weeks. It then takes a few weeks to get it fixed, when it starts all over again. 😞