Netease Music "official playlists" won't update

• 27 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi everyone,

I am using Sonos players with Home Assistant which plays Sonos playlists automatically on some scenarios(e.g. someone getting home, Alexa receiving a voice command for playing some playlist...)

I added a Netease Music “official playlist”(it always contains 20 songs and auto-updates on a daily basis) to Sonos(Netease Music > My Music > XXX playlist > Add to Sonos Playlist) a few days ago. Everything worked perfectly until today I found the playlist not updating. There are now 20 new songs in the playlist of Netease Music App, but the 20 songs in the playlist of Sonos App(Netease Music > My Music > XXX playlist) are just the same as the the day I added the playlist. Even if I delete the playlist from both Apps and re-add the playlist, the songs in the playlist in Sonos App remain the same as before.

So I guess the songs of the playlist are kind of saved somewhere?  Would really appreciate it if someone knows where Netease Music "official playlists" are stored by Sonos or how to update them in either automatic or manual way.

Thx.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Chadwick,

I’m not familiar with Netease Music specifically, but I believe the way you’d get around this is to add the playlist to My Sonos, rather than copying the contents to a Sonos Playlist. 

Try browsing to the “official playlist” but not opening it, instead, long-press on it and tap “Add Playlist to My Sonos”. This should create a direct link from the My Sonos screen to the dynamically updating playlist.

Hope that helps!

Badge

Hi @Chadwick,

I’m not familiar with Netease Music specifically, but I believe the way you’d get around this is to add the playlist to My Sonos, rather than copying the contents to a Sonos Playlist. 

Try browsing to the “official playlist” but not opening it, instead, long-press on it and tap “Add Playlist to My Sonos”. This should create a direct link from the My Sonos screen to the dynamically updating playlist.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your help! 
Yep, that was just what I did, long-pressing the playlist and selecting “Add Playlist to My Sonos”.

The thing is, when I try to remove the playlist in Netease Music app and re-open Sonos app, the playlist is removed from Sonos app “Browse > Netease Music > My Music” list as expected, then I add back the playlist in Netease Music app, the playlist also shows up in Sonos app “Browse > Netease Music > My Music” list but the contents in the playlist are the old songs updated a few days ago instead of the new ones updated today. That is, playlists in “Browse > Netease Music > My Music” are in sync with Netease Music, while the contents in playlists not.

Badge +17

Thanks for your help! 
Yep, that was just what I did, long-pressing the playlist and selecting “Add Playlist to My Sonos”.

The thing is, when I try to remove the playlist in Netease Music app and re-open Sonos app, the playlist is removed from Sonos app “Browse > Netease Music > My Music” list as expected, then I add back the playlist in Netease Music app, the playlist also shows up in Sonos app “Browse > Netease Music > My Music” list but the contents in the playlist are the old songs updated a few days ago instead of the new ones updated today. That is, playlists in “Browse > Netease Music > My Music” are in sync with Netease Music, while the contents in playlists not.

Thanks for the info!

If I’m understanding correctly - you’re removing and recreating the playlist daily?

That could definitely cause some sync issues since each time the playlist is recreated, the system would recognise it as a completely different object.

If the playlist updates on its own, I suggest just adding it once and leaving it, and the contents should update automatically on both platforms. 

Bear in mind, some music services don’t update content to external applications (such as Sonos) right away, and can sometimes take several hours to refresh.

Badge

Thanks for your help! 

Thanks for the info!

If I’m understanding correctly - you’re removing and recreating the playlist daily?

That could definitely cause some sync issues since each time the playlist is recreated, the system would recognise it as a completely different object.

If the playlist updates on its own, I suggest just adding it once and leaving it, and the contents should update automatically on both platforms. 

Bear in mind, some music services don’t update content to external applications (such as Sonos) right away, and can sometimes take several hours to refresh.

Thanks for your replies, it helps me understand the underlying mechanisms!

I added the playlist to My Sonos last Sunday,  expecting the playlist refreshing everyday with no maintainance needed. Today I noticed my Sonos player was playing the same song it played last Sunday  which was not in the Netease Music playlist anymore. So I tried figuring out the synchronisation mechanisms by removing and recreating the playlist on both sides. The synchronisation delay may be the cause for the content difference, I think I will keep track of the content updates of the playlist on both platforms in the following week, and come back with further updates.

Badge

Hi @James L. , You are right. The playlist in Sonos app does update from the Netease Music playlist, in in a quite slow way though. Thanks for your help!