Question

need more nas help please

• 21 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi all. After the changes forcing me to move my music to network storage, I’ve had further problems after having a new router fitted from my isp (Kcom). In short:

I moved my music to a 2 tb WD hard disc (old one) which is attached via usb to my zyxel router, seemed to work ok and sonos worked fine.

new Technicolor router fitted by isp (dgn2231) attached the hard drive and all ok BUT router restarts every hour when hard drive is attached! 

tried using 128gb flash drive, router restarts straight away! Clearly not compatible.

neither Technicolor or kcom any help at all.

come to the conclusion I need to buy Ethernet nas, looking at WD mycloud home but lousy reviews! 

any advice?

4 replies

come to the conclusion I need to buy Ethernet nas, looking at WD mycloud home but lousy reviews! 

The WD kit is often recommended here as a cost effective solution, so I doubt that it’s lousy kit. Synology and Qnap are the next level up, but cost quite a bit more….

I use Synology for my main data backup, but even cheap NAS devices (I have an LG and a Buffalo) will work perfectly well for Sonos. The LG has been running 24x7 for about 8 years now, and so far has been very reliable. 

Stating that publicly is probably the cue for an HD failure :disappointed:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for that, I’ve read lots of bad reviews on the WD mycloud home ( new one) hence the doubts! Problem is I’m by no means well versed in setting up etc which is why the mycloud seemed a good option. Most of the bad reviews are due to transfer speeds and poor software, particularly in comparison to the “old” version. I do want to use it as a backup for all of our devices as well as for sonos. Does anybody here use the WD mycloud and have any advice on ease of use, setup etc?

I do want to use it as a backup for all of our devices as well as for sonos. 

I’d be careful, there… Sonos needs SMB1, and I wouldn’t use that for my normal data. That’s why I have NAS (s) for data and NAS (s) for Sonos - and don’t mix the two.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Check how long WD will be offering security updates for the one you are looking at, a NAS with known and unpatched security issues is not something you want. My WD while still working fine is unsupported and I don’t care to have it on my network, I now use it as off-line backup and unplug it ASAP.