Answered

Need advice on how to play CDs through my Sonos speakers

• 12 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi!

I’m looking for advice on how to play CDs through my Sonos speakers without spending a fortune on a Sonos Port or Amp. I currently have a Sonos One Gen 2 and an IKEA Symfonisk, none of which have line-in. I’ve also ordered the Sonos Roam, which also doesn’t have line-in, but apparently has bluetooth. So, could I:

1. Get a portable CD player with bluetooth and connect that to the Sonos Roam via bluetooth? Would that only play on the Roam then and not the whole system?
  2. If I get an Apple Optical Drive, could I then connect it to my Macbook and send it to the speakers via Airplay 2?

Any other options?

Grateful for any advice!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 April 2021, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Option 1 will work since the Roam can function as a Bluetooth gateway to the rest of your Sonos speakers. You would connect the CD player to the Roam through Bluetooth and then group the other Sonos speakers so the CD player audio will play from all of your speakers.

Option 2 will also work since both the Sonos One and SYMFONISK are compatible with AirPlay 2.

Connecting a CD player to a Sonos Port and option 2 will produce the best audio quality out of the three options.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the reply! Think I’ll go for option 2, as an optical drive will provide the opportunity to run my old DVDs as well.

Badge

I have an older S1

I have an HP laptop and I downloaded iTunes onto it. I input my entire CD library into iTunes.

I now can connect to my iTunes library via BROWSE and choosing Music Library.

Don’t know if this helps. But it is the reason I went into Sonos, so I could always access my CD’s

plus now, lots of music services.

I'm with @Ukulele . Rip your CDs to a network or computer drive and play the music you own the way Sonos intended.

Forget about CD players.

As others have said, ripping your CDs is a better way to go. How much of an issue this is depends on how many CDs you have - not only because of the effort/time required but also because Sonos does have limits.

I still have a CD player linked up to the Sonos system via a ZP90 (old version of a Port) but it only gets used about once every couple of years - usually when a friend brings a CD round. If it went wrong then I’d probably just use one of the optical drives (i.e. bluray player, DVD recorder etc) instead.