Answered

NAS Storage for FLAC File

• 29 March 2018
  • 1 reply

I see some older threads with advice on specific NAS Storage but not too much contemporary. I plan to copy my CDs using dBpoweramp and store them on a NAS drive connected to my internet router. I have no need for multiple users as there will be one Sonos Play that feeds all of the speakers in the home. Can I get away with something simple like a WD MyCloud NAS drive? Here's what I'm looking at- WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN. Thanks-
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 30 March 2018, 00:39

The WD should work fine, I used one for a while until WD stopped issuing security updates and it wasn't safe to leave on my network. Ticked me off and I decided not to buy another WD for a while.

These days I use a Raspberry Pi (tiny under $50 computer) and an add-on USB drive to hold my music. An external hard drive, older spare SSD or even a big thumb drive will work for music storage on a Pi.

I posted some stuff on using a PI somewhere around here recently. Once set up all you need connected is the 5 volt power or if you want it hard-wired add an Ethernet cable. You can access it over VNC for anything you need once it is initially set up.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The WD should work fine, I used one for a while until WD stopped issuing security updates and it wasn't safe to leave on my network. Ticked me off and I decided not to buy another WD for a while.

These days I use a Raspberry Pi (tiny under $50 computer) and an add-on USB drive to hold my music. An external hard drive, older spare SSD or even a big thumb drive will work for music storage on a Pi.

I posted some stuff on using a PI somewhere around here recently. Once set up all you need connected is the 5 volt power or if you want it hard-wired add an Ethernet cable. You can access it over VNC for anything you need once it is initially set up.