Answered

NAS Server And Boost

Badge +1

My SONOS system works great with Amazon Music and Sirius. However, when I switch to my NAS server to play recorded music there is a real “in and out” problem with the music. The connection throughout the SONOS speaker system in the house is not good. 

Does the NAS server need to be hard wired into the Boost in order for the NAS server to transmit the music throughout the SONOS speakers system?

icon

Best answer by mmgfesser 16 March 2020, 18:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

By “in and out” problem, do you mean that the audio is periodically dropping out? 

How is the NAS connected to the network at present?

What format are the files on the NAS? 

Which players are experiencing dropouts? Does it occur when players are grouped together?

Badge +1
  1. Very bad connection. A kitchen set will play for 3 seconds and go out completely. A Playroom set will do the same. On and on.
  2. NAS is connected to the router. Boost is connected to the Router. NAS is not directly connected to the Boost.
  3. The files are CDs I own that were recorded through Apple iTunes lossless. High format.
  4. All groups. I have 5 groups of speakers. All perform the same way---not well.

By the way, the system did work correctly for about 1 year and in the last year things stopped working correctly. I have a new Orbi router with 2 satellites. I replaced a Nighthawk when I though that was the proble.

Wiring the NAS to the Boost should make no difference. The ALAC file format however may be straining wireless connections that are not up to par.

I suggest you submit a system diagnostic, within 10 mins of a dropout, note the number and post it here. Sonos Support can take a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you can grab a few MP3 files and try playing them it will put less stress on the network. If it works then you have a likely problem to work on, if it doesn’t send in another diagnostic and post the number for Sonos folks to look at, users can’t see diagnostic data.

Badge +1

Stanley_4- what do you mean by “grab a few MP3 files?”

Also, the music that I have recorded on the NAS is in this format- M4A File (.m4a).

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

If you could take  one of your CDs  and use iTunes to create  a mp3 version of the CD (modify the artist name or album name before starting the trip so you tell which one is the mp3 version).

Once the sonos library has updated try playing  the mp3 version. Mp3 use much less bandwidth than lossless files so that might give some hints as to what the problem is.

When was the last time you rebooted everything, including the NAS? Its possible it has the same IP address as one of your Sonos kit. Shut it all down, then bring up the router, then the NAS, then your Sonos devices and see if that fixes it.

Badge +1

How do I reboot SONOS? DO I unplug each speaker and replug?

I would recommend that you unplug all Sonos devices, then reboot your router. Once the router has come back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. That forces a reboot of the speakers, as well as fresh network information as well as new IP addresses from a ‘clean’ DHCP table.

Badge +1

Thanks, I did this reboot procedure twice. Each time the system throughout the house works great. Until I switch to the TV which uses the Playbar, the Bass and a pair of surround 3’s. At that point the rest of the system no longer works correctly and fades in and out. The TV sound works fine. But the music in the rest of the house, including through the Playbar and surround 3’s does not work correctly.

I am getting really frustrated because I have a “simple” system here. I spent hundreds of hours creating a NAS server of over a thousand recorded CDs. This is very frustrating and I wish I could “hard” wire everything.

1. Music played through Amazon or Sirius works fine.
  1. I purchased a new ORBI router with 2 satellites to see if that would help but it made no difference.

3.Should I buy a new NAS server?

I have a BOOST. Should I add another?

Is there an expert that can review this like the Geek squad from Best Buy?

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Badge +1

How does one properly submit a system diagnostic?

submit a system diagnostic

Ah, I see I’d already posted that link. Click on the underlined words, it will take you to the FAQ that explains how to do so. 

Badge +1

My NAS is working properly. I rebooted the system and replaced a few cables.

The important thing is to clear all Rooms from the SONOS system and then add them back in starting with the Playbar (with bass and surrounds if applicable)  and then the rest of the Rooms.

All of the music I have recorded on the NAS is in Apple Lossless which is M4A File (.m4a). There was a thought that the high fidelity recordings may be a contributor to the issue but that does not seem to be the case.

Thank you for all of the assistance.