NAS capacity

• 28 February 2006
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have seen a couple of posts regarding people running into Sonos track limits. My question is a little different. Using Apple Lossless, at 200-300Mb per CD = 3-5 albums per Gb = 3,000 albums on a 1Tb Buffalo Terastation. A big but not huge collection.

Worse, at 6 mins ripping per CD that is 12 1/2 days. Non-stop. Take two weeks holidays and you could do it all in a series of 20 hour days. Just get in a stock of food so you don't break the workflow.

Why doesn't it seem appealing?

13 replies

Userlevel 2
But in the end it will be worth every bit of time spent. Your music listening experience will be drastically different. I find myself laughing and shaking my head at the thought of how I used to listen to music (i.e. going to the CD cabinet -- trying to read the CD name sideways in that small print – after finding something, going to the CD player starting – walking back to your listening space and sitting down to listen...Wait now I want to hear something else, oh brother).
Userlevel 2
Actually AlcYst,
Using Apple Lossless it is more like 500-700Mb per CD and with my PC/DVD/external hard drive combo is less than 2 minutes per to encode. You can do this while doing other things as well, and if you get 2 or more PCs going it really doesn't take that much time. After all you don't have to do it all at once.

As Zaskar said it so worth it if you like to listen to music. I have listened to more music since I have gotten the Sonos than I ever have. It is like channel surfing it is addictive and you are amazed at the music you actually have at your finger tips.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
6mins per CD seems a lot in my experience, although I didn't time it.

Don't forget to include the album art :O)

I have around 9000 tracks now, all in the correct genre and with album art 😃
Userlevel 2

I have around 9000 tracks now, all in the correct genre and with album art :D

[joke]
at .99 each = ~8.9K- Did you pay for all those?
[/joke]
However much computing time it takes to rip a CD, if your CD ripping program is any good it should take less than 20 seconds of your time for most mainstream CDs. That's getting the CD out of the case, putting it in the drive, and clicking on "OK", and then putting the CD back in the case.

OK a little longer to get album art (perhaps another 10 seconds) and if the CD is obscure you may need a few minutes sorting out the tagging.

The rest of the time you leave the PC to it.

As for filesize, surely 700M per CD is incorrect. 700M is the capacity of a totally uncompressed CD. With most lossless compression codecs compressing to typically 50-60% of the size, if a CD is more than 400M then I would be very surprised.

Cheers,

Keith
Majik, What kind of software are you using to rip cd's "20 Seconds" ??? :rolleyes:
I'm using kaudiocreator on Linux.

It may take 4 or 5 minutes to rip the CD (sometimes more if the CD is slightly damaged), but it only takes about 20 seconds of my time occasionally to change the CD.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Clearly as we've seen from these posts your mileage may vary. Personally it takes me round-trip about 15 min per CD to: handle, rip, inspect tags, attach album art, etc. I just finished re-ripping about 4000 tracks to Apple Lossless over the past few weeks. It's labour intensive for sure. Never thought it was going to end (a few late nights too).

SMcF
Userlevel 2
Yes, majik, i stand corrected, thank you. The files sizes average around 300-400Mb in Apple Lossless. I was thinking uncompressed format.
Userlevel 2
I agree with SMfC. If you're spending the time to rip your music once and for all, you should spend the time to do it right. That means inspecting the tags (and fixing them about 50% of the time), including track names, label/publisher, release year, genre, etc. And downloading album art in decent resolution takes time too. When I can't fine anything or can only find tiny blurry little 75x75 images, I scan the cover art, crop, resize, etc... Labor intensive is an understatement, but I'll only have to do this ONCE for the rest of my life.

So for me, I would say an average of 20-30 minutes overall per CD, broken into several different phases. I usually rip about 20 CDs with only obvious minor tag adjustments. Then I go through and do a batch of final tag adjustments and cover arting for all of them. Then I go through again and review and do final genre assignments. Then I review once again, and then they get merged into my library. Painful? Yes. Worth it? Definitely.

Also -- ripping to FLAC (lossless) is MUCH quicker than ripping to MP3 and doesn't make your computer sluggish while it's processing. And if you want, you can always run a batch conversion to MP3 later while you're away for the weekend.

-=og=-
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
[joke]
at .99 each = ~8.9K- Did you pay for all those?
[/joke]

Heh...I've got all the original discs and cases...come count them 😛
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
As for filesize, surely 700M per CD is incorrect. 700M is the capacity of a totally uncompressed CD. With most lossless compression codecs compressing to typically 50-60% of the size, if a CD is more than 400M then I would be very surprised.

My longest CD, at 86mins, is Eurythmics Greatest Hits.

Ripped in Apple Lossless using iTunes this results in 497MB of .m4a files.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Clearly as we've seen from these posts your mileage may vary. Personally it takes me round-trip about 15 min per CD to: handle, rip, inspect tags, attach album art, etc. I just finished re-ripping about 4000 tracks to Apple Lossless over the past few weeks. It's labour intensive for sure. Never thought it was going to end (a few late nights too).

SMcF

Having to CD-drives is a real bonus...worth buying one if you don't have one.

Whilst one drive is ripping, I'm using the second drive to analyse and tag my tracks before ripping. By the time this is done, and I've pulled album art, the disc that is ripping has just about finished.