Answered

Napster broken song links

• 27 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

From looking a various blogs, I don’t appear to be the only person experiencing this problem, but it doesn’t appear to be easily searchable in the support forums and those I have found have been closed.

I’m operating an S1 system linked to a Napster account. I have a number of Sonos Playlists setup using a combination of my ‘owned’ songs linked from my external hard drive music library and tracks from Napster. I am periodically seeing some of the songs ‘linked’ via Napster not payable from the play list. It appears the Napster server link breaks and the track/song can’t be played.

To resolve the issue requires having to re-search for the track/song on Napster and re-adding to the Sonos Playlist, deleting the original ‘broken’ link from the playlist. 

Very annoying! Particularly given that the song can still be found on Napster.

Is this because Napster move the track/song between servers, hence breaking the link where Sonos would find the track? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 July 2021, 05:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Yes, most likely. The data that Sonos stores in the playlists it keeps is just a link to the song’s place on Napster. If they change that location, in general, Sonos wouldn’t know how to find it. You could argue that Sonos could be more robust in re-searching for the song title, and be able to get the new location, and write it to your playlist, but that would be a lot for Sonos to undertake. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can use my iOS app (see profile) to export a Sonos playlist and turn it into a Napster playlist via the soundiiz web site.