Music Services and Sonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone!

This article will be focusing on Music Services available within the Sonos app - if you have any further questions on this subject, feel free to post a reply, and we’ll update the article :slight_smile:

What Music Services are available on Sonos?

You can find here a full list of Music Services on Sonos - it’s worth noting however that not all music services are available in all regions, you can check where any given service is available to be added to Sonos by clicking the link for that music service.

If you should have access to a music service, but it doesn’t show up in the list when adding a music service , then we recommend double checking that you have the correct location set on your Sonos Profile, and then performing a manual check for updates from the Sonos App - this will update the list of available Music Services in the app.

What content is available via Music Services?

Not all music services offer the same selection of content, and this may even change within the same service over time. As such, you may find that you get different results from different services when using the same search parameters.

This is particularly noticeable when using Radio streaming services - if you find that TuneIn or Sonos Radio don’t have a station that you want to listen to, you may be able to find it via an alternative service such as MyTuner, Radio.net, or Radioplayer.

Another option is to manually add the streaming URL, you can find some guidance on doing so on our help page - Add an Internet radio station to Sonos

How are new Music Services added to Sonos?

If a Music Service appears in the list of available Music Services on Sonos, and is available in your region, you can find here the steps to add a music service. You can also use multiple accounts for the same music service!

If a service that you’re interested in doesn’t show up in the list, however, then we can’t add it in ourselves.

In this case, the music service in question would need to reach out to us, and use our API to create an integration. What we would recommend is to reach out to the developers of that music service, share your interest in bringing their service in to the Sonos ecosystem, and point them towards our Music Partners on-boarding page*.

In the meantime, if you have an iOS device and AirPlay capable Sonos speakers, you can AirPlay the audio directly from your device. Alternatively if you have a Roam or Move, you can find some information here on how to Use Bluetooth on Sonos.

*the on-boarding page is currently undergoing maintenance, however there are contact details listed for any music services to get in touch :slight_smile:

What Music Service features are available within Sonos?

What music service features you can access from within the Sonos app are decided by the music service itself - for example Spotify’s “Made for you" playlists, and adding tracks to your Deezer favourite’s have both been implemented by their respective developers, when integrating with the Sonos API.

If there are features such as these that you’d like to see added to the Sonos app, that are available via the native music service app, then your best course of action is to reach out to the music service developers to share your interest.

Are there ways to play from music services without using the Sonos app?

Depending on the music services involved, you may have a few options:

AirPlay

As we’ve touched on already, if you have an iOS device, and AirPlay compatible Sonos speakers, you can stream the audio to your Sonos system via AirPlay. You can even group your non-AirPlay speakers within the Sonos app, and stream audio from your phone to the whole system!

Bluetooth

Similar to AirPlay, if you have either a Move or Roam, you can connect your phone, tablet, or computer via Bluetooth to stream audio directly. As the Move is not able to exist on Bluetooth and WiFi simultaneously, you won’t be able to group other speakers, however this is possible with the Roam.

For more information, see our guide on how to Use Bluetooth with Sonos :)

Direct Control

Some music services have built a Direct Control function in to their native apps, allowing you to play to Sonos while having access to all of the features that the music service provides. You can find here some guidance on using Direct Control with;

Voice Assistants

Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant both allow you to use voice commands to start music, so you don’t even need to look at your phone!

The setup for this must be done within the respective voice assistant apps - once you’ve linked your Sonos system to either Alexa or Google Assistant, you’ll be able to use voice commands to start playback from any supported services - you can find out what services are supported here for Alexa, and here for Google Assistant.

Problems with Music Services?

If you’re having trouble playing from a music service via Sonos, then here are some helpful tips;

• Check the Sonos Status page for any ongoing outages.
  • Reboot your router and Sonos speakers, by removing power for about 10 seconds before plugging back in
  • Reauthorize the music service account within Sonos (Settings > Services > Choose the Music Service > Reauthorize Account)

If you’re still having trouble, feel free to reach out either by starting a new topic in the Troubleshooting forum, or by getting in touch with our Support Team via live chat or phone call.

22 replies

I cancelled Sonos Radio two months ago and I'm still being charged for it.

This is not the billing arm of Sonos, this is a support community of mostly non-Sonos employees. I’d encourage you to call Sonos directly with your valid concern. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nice summary @Xander P 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Xander P I would love to see info about higher resulting audio support on this FAQ. Now that Amazon and Apple are offering that to all users, in addition to Tidal, etc.

Badge

@Xander P I would love to see info about higher resulting audio support on this FAQ. Now that Amazon and Apple are offering that to all users, in addition to Tidal, etc.

Seconded.

It would also be nice  Sonos both communicated more about improvements to the built in services and pushed a little bit on the vendors to add them.

While referring to the music services themselves for the features available etc is technically correct, for them Sonos is just one of many various platforms - and realistically, not one of the most important ones (which would be the major phone ecosystems and desktop systems). Thus, if Sonos is quiet, we’ll probably never hear anything at all.

And just as the author I’m replying to, I’m especially interested in lossless and Atmos on Apple Music.

Badge +1

I've asked this several places, but still haven't found a direct answer. I started using Amazon Music with my Beam/Ones system yesterday. I've been told that I MUST use the Sonos app to play music if I want HD and UHD quality. I'd much prefer using the AM app for several reasons, especially searches and curating. Will I NOT get HD or UHD if I send music to my Sonos system from the Amazon Music app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I've asked this several places, but still haven't found a direct answer. I started using Amazon Music with my Beam/Ones system yesterday. I've been told that I MUST use the Sonos app to play music if I want HD and UHD quality. I'd much prefer using the AM app for several reasons, especially searches and curating. Will I NOT get HD or UHD if I send music to my Sonos system from the Amazon Music app?

That's correct, at least for now. If you want your sonos system to play the UHD, HD, Atmos encoded tracks as intended, you have to access Amazon Music starting in the Sonos app. It's a PITA but no other option for now.

Badge +1

That's correct, at least for now. If you want your sonos system to play the UHD, HD, Atmos encoded tracks as intended, you have to access Amazon Music starting in the Sonos app. It's a PITA but no other option for now.

Thanks so much for your response. Not the answer I was looking for, but I guess I can live with it. Can you tell me if this is the same for Quboz? I'm considering looking at it too. Is there any other app that is HD and plays directly to Sonos?

What music services are supported by Sonos?

Sonos works with all the services you know and love. Stream Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, Audible, Deezer, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, YouTube Music, and many more. Sonos works with both Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant for hands-free control on WiFi.

Sonos works with all the services you know and love. Stream Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, Audible, Deezer, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, YouTube Music, and many more. Sonos works with both Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant for hands-free control on WiFi.

Apple Music is not working on the S2 app.  It was when we were at 14.10. 14.12 and 14.14 are buggered up beyond all recognition.

Apple Music is not working on the S2 app.  It was when we were at 14.10. 14.12 and 14.14 are buggered up beyond all recognition.

Apple Music is working okay here on the iOS S2 App v14.14 build 69132100. There is a reported issue with some android controller devices not working correctly however, which Apple themselves are due to fix, (apparently).

How on earth sonos app is offering long list of music services and is not working with them. I have spotify and myTuner Radio...if i want to play specific radiostation sonos goes straight to sonos radio using tune in...and saying such radio station don't exist, but it wont't check mytuner radio where desired radio station is available...even when asking GA to use specific app it won't do it.  Sonos radio should be availabe to disable when not required...

How on earth sonos app is offering long list of music services and is not working with them. I have spotify and myTuner Radio...if i want to play specific radiostation sonos goes straight to sonos radio using tune in...and saying such radio station don't exist, but it wont't check mytuner radio where desired radio station is available...even when asking GA to use specific app it won't do it.  Sonos radio should be availabe to disable when not required...

What station are you searching for and in which tab, within the Sonos search facility?

RMF FM which is not available in Sonos Radio, but it's available in mytuner radio. I can play it by going to sonos app/mytuner radio music service, but GA will only search in sonos radio and skip mytuner radio app.

RMF FM which is not available in Sonos Radio, but it's available in mytuner radio. I can play it by going to sonos app/mytuner radio music service, but GA will only search in sonos radio and skip mytuner radio app.

Yes the Google Assistant only searches limited services, it’s usually those that are available in the Google Home/Assistant Apps (The same music service obviously needs to be installed in the Sonos App too).

As another similar example, GA also does not search the Amazon Music service either.

So I guess it’s because myTuner (and Amazon Music) services are not currently available in the Google Home/Assistant Apps… Anyhow this is a ‘feature request’ that you would need to ask Google/myTuner to implement 

Is there another link to the onboarding music partners page - as the one in the OP doesn’t work for me. Although does anyone know if it’s realistic thing for a smaller service to do?

Is there another link to the onboarding music partners page - as the one in the OP doesn’t work for me. Although does anyone know if it’s realistic thing for a smaller service to do?

The link you mention in the OP is working for me (see screenshot) - do you perhaps have something blocking it, ad-blocker etc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

https://developer.sonos.com/

Please could you provide us with another link to the onboarding music partners page in the OP - as I am unable to access the one in the OP. Even so, if anyone knows whether this is a realistic thing for a smaller service to do, it would be great to hear about it.

Please could you provide us with another link to the onboarding music partners page in the OP - as I am unable to access the one in the OP. Even so, if anyone knows whether this is a realistic thing for a smaller service to do, it would be great to hear about it.

See the post above your post.

Why in the world is Spotify FREE accounts the only thing that will  play (sometimes) on Sonos? 

This is completely ridiculous in my mind.  

Direct play to only the newest speakers is not acceptable for products of this cost and quality.

Why in the world is Spotify FREE accounts the only thing that will  play (sometimes) on Sonos? 

This is completely ridiculous in my mind.  

Direct play to only the newest speakers is not acceptable for products of this cost and quality.

Not really sure what you’re referring to here? We (including friends and family) play Sonos Radio, Amazon Music, Deezer, Apple Music and many other music services all day long, most days. If you’re having any difficulty doing that, then it’s highly likely you have issues with the network, or WAN connection.

Here’s one link (below) to perhaps help sort some issues with WiFi interference, including things like using non-overlapping WiFi channels and setting the channel-width to 20MHz only and a few other suggestions besides, that you can maybe consider trying, but if you’re suffering from slow internet connection then you might want to consider storing some files locally instead, rather than streaming over perhaps a slow ISP connection.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference