Question

Music service - free version compatible

• 22 January 2018
  • 22 replies

Badge +3
Can you please tell me which are the music service compatible with Sonos in their free version?
For example, I've noticed that I can add my free account of Google Music, but not my Spotify free one. Any other that works like Google Music?
(I'm from Italy and I know the answer may vary from country to country...)

Second question: what happens if I add a premium Spotify account to the Sonos system and then, after a month, I don't pay anymore? Is the Spotify account still usable with my Sonos system?

ty

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here is list of all Sonos supported services
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music

I would say over half are subscription free. Most people always put on Slacker, IHeart, Pandora, Soundcloud, Stitcher
Pandora is free, TuneIn radio is free, there are probably some other niche services available in Italy which are free, you can find a list here (make sure you are logged in as an Italy based account):

sonos.com/streaming-music

If you are paying for a streaming service and you stop paying, the account will revert to a free account and you would be not be able to use the premium features on Sonos. In the specific case of Spotify, you would lose the ability to play Spotify tracks on Sonos.
Badge +3
Here is list of all Sonos supported services
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music

i know that, but even if they have a free version you can't add them to the Sonos system. Which of them is usable with Sonos in their free version?

i know that, but even if they have a free version you can't add them to the Sonos system. Which of them is usable with Sonos in their free version?

Sonos has dozens of services and there is no formalized list of free vs. premium services, you have to find them for yourself. Go to the link I posted above (Chris's link is US specific, mine will take you to your country). Click on the services you are interested in. The popup will tell you if it is free on Sonos or not.
Badge +3
Well... the popup is not very clear... a lot of marketing. A the end you have to try. If I have to try all of them an then choose which one better fits my need it's a huge work. I was wandering to skip the first step...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is up to the music service as to if they allow free on sonos or not. It is not up to Sonos. Spotify doesn't even allow their free version via their Spotify Connect direct playing. Many of these companies are not in the business of giving free music out without ad revenue from playing it from their app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Call me old fashioned but I like to pay for the music i enjoy, Mainly I buy CDs still but I also don't balk at paying £10 a month for a good steaming service. I like to get payed for the work i do and assume that extends to others?
Well... the popup is not very clear... a lot of marketing. A the end you have to try. If I have to try all of them an then choose which one better fits my need it's a huge work. I was wandering to skip the first step...

Actually, the popup is quite clear. For example:

Pandora:

Create free personalized stations from songs, artists or genres. Or browse our curated stations to find music that fits your mood.

Looking for more? Subscribe to Pandora Plus and listen to your stations ad-free with unlimited skips and replays.

Do you want full control? Subscribe to Pandora Premium to find the music you want, on demand.

Google:
Google Play Music makes it easy to explore, share, store, and listen to your favorite music. Play millions of songs instantly from anywhere on any device. Get free cloud storage for up to 20,000 tracks, create custom radio stations, and enjoy smart recommendations that get smarter the more you play. Together we’ve created a whole new way to experience music.

iHeartRadio:
ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, ALWAYS FREE: Take Your Favorite Radio Stations & Music Wherever You Go
Log in to iHeartRadio through email or Facebook to make iHeartRadio uniquely yours. Create, save, and share your stations from wherever you access iHeartRadio.

7Digital:
7digital’s store offers a catalogue of millions of high quality digital music tracks. Your purchases are automatically kept in the 7digital ‘cloud based’ locker for secure storage. You can access your music wherever you want and through multiple devices on any operating system. Simply sign in to stream all your 7digital music instantly through your Sonos system for a great listening experience in your home. Free Service.

Need more? Looks pretty explicit to me, no need to try them. This is as close as you get to a list of free services, and we aren't going to do your homework for you.
Badge +3
I reply to both (edit: @Chris and @bockersjv) with two considerations:
_I can cast from a free spotify account to any device equipped with a chromecast, why shouldn't I be allowed t do that with Sonos?
_the basics of the freemium/premium philosophy is that you can try basic feature for free and upgrade them by paying. And it works. I'm not against paying, I just don't understand why Sonos does not allow the freemium version to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is because you are actually streaming it from the phone with chromecast taking over the internal speakers of your phone (just like Bluetooth). If Spotify could block that they would. You can't actually cast with chromecast from the spotify app - from app choose speaker that goes out and actually pulls the song direct from source.

Just like current Airplay just plays from the phone it doesn't pull direct from source to speaker.

Airplay2 is coming which I assume will be like chromecast in allowing both a casting (pulling from the source direct) and streaming from the phone to work with Sonos (just like Bluetooth).
Badge +3
Need more? Looks pretty explicit to me, no need to try them. This is as close as you get to a list of free services, and we aren't going to do your homework for you.

I didn't see any "free" in my country top ten service of the list, I'll keep searching. Thank you for your work, but i still don't get why there is not a clear list of what you can get for free and what you can't.
Once again: IT IS NOT SONOS WHO DOES NOT ALLOW THE FREEMIUM VERSION TO WORK!!!

It is 100% up to the service themselves. You need to complain to the services if you wish them to allow their free account to be used with Sonos. Complaining here is utterly useless.
Badge +3

Sorry, but someone may have his opinion. I need sources or better explanation :D

That is because you are actually streaming it from the phone with chromecast taking over the internal speakers of your phone (just like Bluetooth). If Spotify could block that they would. You can't actually cast with chromecast from the spotify app - from app choose speaker that goes out and actually pulls the song direct from source.

Ok, now it's clear.
Badge +3

7Digital:
7digital’s store offers a catalogue of millions of high quality digital music tracks. Your purchases are automatically kept in the 7digital ‘cloud based’ locker for secure storage. You can access your music wherever you want and through multiple devices on any operating system. Simply sign in to stream all your 7digital music instantly through your Sonos system for a great listening experience in your home. Free Service.

Anyway, for example: yeah! it's free. But what? You buy your song and store there... for free...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sorry, but someone may have his opinion. I need sources or better explanation :D

Music services sign up to the Sonos Music Labs (http://musicpartners.sonos.com/).

Sonos provide all the tools that the service need in order to integrate their system into Sonos.

The service themselves decide how they are going to implement their service inside the Sonos app. Those that have subscription and free services will decide if they will integrate both the free and subscription or only the subscription within Sonos. This decision could be country or region specific - ie Service xxxx free version might be available in Thailand but not in South Korea.

jgatie is correct. Sonos has nothing to do with whether or not a particular music service is available via Sonos and further if their free version is available and even where it may or may not be available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

7Digital:

Anyway, for example: yeah! it's free. But what? You buy your song and store there... for free...

There's no fee to stream the music YOU have purchased.

You might like to consider why music services with a free version that are available on Sonos do not offer access to the free version on Sonos
Badge +3

You might like to consider why music services with a free version that are available on Sonos do not offer access to the free version on Sonos

That's my question now!
Even considering you could cast them with a chromecast audio and any line-in speaker.
(plus, atm, I have the windows 10 related problem playing music from my library stored in my own pc and sonos service doesn't help much. I am really considering returning the sonos device...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That's my question now!
Even considering you could cast them with a chromecast audio and any line-in speaker.
(plus, atm, I have the windows 10 related problem playing music from my library stored in my own pc and sonos service doesn't help much. I am really considering returning the sonos device...)

Music services make money, primarily, by selling subscriptions packages. The point of them putting in the effort to get their service onside the Sonos eco-system is to drive increased subscriptions. I expect the majority of people who listen to the free, oft ad-ridden, offerings of subscription services do so through their computer speaker, phones or Bluetooth speakers. With the best will of the world the sound quality through that method will not warrant many people paying an extra £15 a month. The same cannot be said of Sonos. The quality of the sound is superb and the cost cannot be described as bargain basement.

I suspect that those services who don't allow their free versions on Sonos are hoping the significant quality of the Sonos sound will drive increased subscription sales.

That's my question now!

The "Windows 10 problem" is easily solved by enabling SMB v1.

As to the reason services with a free version that are available on Sonos do not offer access to the free version on Sonos, you could ask them. Speculation is that when played through their own app, they are able to send you advertising that is not available on the Sonos app. Nor is the Sonos app a viable delivery vehicle for that advertising, since the Sonos devices stream directly from the source, you can shut down the Sonos app, even shut off the phone and the music keeps playing.
Badge +3

That's my question now!

The "Windows 10 problem" is easily solved by enabling SMB v1.

I wish it were that simple. But my SMBv1 is enable. Sonos support told me "your problem is not so simple, it's is better if you call us by phone... office time", but, guess what? I'm in he office during office time 😢

Nor is the Sonos app a viable delivery vehicle for that advertising, since the Sonos devices stream directly from the source, you can shut down the Sonos app, even shut off the phone and the music keeps playing.

This is a cool feature, but a little bit rigid in my opinion. That's marketing an technical choices, I can't argue that, but that's not my ideal and I think not to be alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Nor is the Sonos app a viable delivery vehicle for that advertising, since the Sonos devices stream directly from the source, you can shut down the Sonos app, even shut off the phone and the music keeps playing.

This is a cool feature, but a little bit rigid in my opinion. That's marketing an technical choices, I can't argue that, but that's not my ideal and I think not to be alone.

Rigid! It's what make Sonos unique and a joy to use. You can use any device, well nearly any, to control your Sonos system and all the family can also do the same with no need to look for a remote or worry about batteries or music stopping because the prime user leaves the house. I do think you are alone in this or at least a tiny minority who did not understand the main USP of the Sonos product for the rest of us it is why we chose Sonos over other products.
I spent at ton of time making these. Download the Radionomy App or add to Sonos. Then search JP Radio........Or you can use the links below. Each channel has anywhere from 500 to 2500 songs. Radionomy adds their own filler, but it's only 4 mins per hour.

Oldies
https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/jpradiooldies/index

Classic Rock
https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/jpradioclassicrock/index

80's
https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/jpradio80-s/index

Alternative
https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/jpradioalternative/index

Dance Party
https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/jpradiodanceparty/index

Dinner or Coffee
https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/jpradiodinnerandcoffee/index