Question

music on this iphone no longer available

• 12 September 2019
  • 12 replies

I have the Playbar with 2No. Play:1’s as the rear speakers set up on my tv and a separate Play:1. As ‘music on this iPhone’ is no longer supported on the sonos app, and none of my speakers have airplay, my question is if I connect up the Symfonisk can I play music on my iPhone to my Sonos speakers via airplay using the Symfonisk?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Conos

The answer is "YES". Start the Airplay on your Symfonisk speaker and then group your other speakers to it via the Sonos app.

Cheers!
Great, and thanks for the prompt response. Can I play sound just through my sonos speakers and have the symfonisk muted? I’m basically looking for the cheapest way to still play music from my iPhone onto my existing Sonos speakers and the Symfonisk seems the best option.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Great, and thanks for the prompt response. Can I play sound just through my sonos speakers and have the symfonisk muted? I’m basically looking for the cheapest way to still play music from my iPhone onto my existing Sonos speakers and the Symfonisk seems the best option.

As with any Group of speakers, the volume slider can either operate the whole group, or click on it first and it'll give individual sliders for each speak/speaker set.

Or the short answer: yes.
Excellent news! Thank you very much.
Saved me a lot of money!
Oh yeah, what a great work around! Buy more products so that the old products will continue to work as originally promised.

How has that saved you money? You've had to spend more money on something ugly you weren't intending on buying.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Oh yeah, what a great work around! Buy more products so that the old products will continue to work as originally promised.

How has that saved you money? You've had to spend more money on something ugly you weren't intending on buying.

Other options include the free Google Play Music account, store your music on a very low-cost USB memory card in your router (if it will enable that) or a slightly higher-cost NAS device. In the latter 2 cases, set them up and access them as a Music Library.
Suggesting (or actually forcing) that the user has to change their habits to support the product is an outrage. It should be the other way around. The product should be supporting the users habits.

When I pay for a premium product I expect to last. My expectation is that company will show respect for the customer by ensuring full functionality is supported well into the future. If you can't promise that, then don't make/sell the product and market yourself as a premium product.

When I pay for a premium product the last thing I expect is that at some point (less than 12 months in this case) I will have to fork out more money to keep it working properly - that's what I would expect from cheapo speakers.

In this specific example, the best option is to buy yet another speaker (which is actually quite large and a bit ugly) that just sits there taking up space - how ridiculous. How long until the Symfonisk becomes obsolete? What then?

Sonos has demonstrated that they are not competent or committed enough to provide a lasting product/service, and I believe this is not the first time they have bricked products for their customers.

As a customer you look at things that will suit your needs. You justify spending more money on something that is supposed to be reliable and good quality. You expect that the product will continue to suit your needs AT NO FURTHER EXPENSE and this is why it's still valuable to initially spend the extra money.

When that company or product suddenly stops suiting your needs all value is gone. It's not fair.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
So Sonos continue to offer a service Apple will not support and will no longer work?

I see the annoyance but don't understand the outrage when there are many options available to you and some of them are even free. Bluesound have had to do the same thing so it's not some weird conspiracy business decision, but a hard fact that Sonos and other companies have had to accommodate.

Symfonisk is powered by Sonos, and by all accounts has Sonos One internals, so it will continue to work for the same amount of time the One does. Sonos have yet to make any speaker in their range redundant so it should be around and supported fully for a fair time, certainly longer than some other manufacturers who have ditched whole ranges and started again.

So it's not a case of Sonos suiting their needs over the consumer, but I'm sure you won't agree, it's a case of having to rethink part of the product that an external company no longer supports.
So it's not a case of Sonos suiting their needs over the consumer, but I'm sure you won't agree, it's a case of having to rethink part of the product that an external company no longer supports.

Here lies the problem. Sonos SHOULD NOT have released a product where the features rely on what another company does.

This risk should have and would have been known early by product managers and should have avoided all together, and now customers have to lose out.

Seems like the term 'best practice' is like swear words for many tech companies these days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
You are kidding right🤣🤣🤣
So no streaming, no airplay, no internet radio, no wireless transmission even. Oh yes and no using computers, mobiles and tablets as controllers.

Seriously this is the 21st century and like it or loathe it you have to rely on other companies technology, and that technology changes, sometimes for benefit and sometimes not. Nearly all of the items in my drawer of retired technology are there not because they broke, but because they are no longer supported and are no longer able to connect to systems that enabled them. The better companies offered alternatives, and sadly that may inconvenience or require additional cost, but importantly the device remains functional.
Does your drawer of retired technology have many items purchased in the last 12 months? Mine has only 2 - Sonos speakers. Sick waste of money and bad for the environment. Their only job is to play music from a device. Not keen on replacing a house full of expensive speakers every few years.
Their only purpose is to play music, which they still do. From a multitude of local and streaming sources.