Answered

Music library

• 26 February 2020
  • 6 replies

I don't intend to subscribe to a streaming site if I purchase the Sonos 1, so can i listen to music from my phone library etc?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 February 2020, 21:02

Depends on your phone. If it’s an Android, then yes, if it is an iPhone, then no, as Apple has removed the ability for your phone to act as a NAS. All sorts of caveats around that no, though, most importantly being it is a yes, if you have a Sonos device that can be an AirPlay 2 target, so you can use AirPlay 2 to send the Apple Music app’s playing to the speaker.

There are multiple other ways of playing Sonos other than from your phone, as that ability was added after the original system was released. 

View original

6 replies

Depends on your phone. If it’s an Android, then yes, if it is an iPhone, then no, as Apple has removed the ability for your phone to act as a NAS. All sorts of caveats around that no, though, most importantly being it is a yes, if you have a Sonos device that can be an AirPlay 2 target, so you can use AirPlay 2 to send the Apple Music app’s playing to the speaker.

There are multiple other ways of playing Sonos other than from your phone, as that ability was added after the original system was released. 

Sorry, forgot to mention, Android, Samsung a70. Other family members have IPhones, is there no way they can do the same or do they have to stream from internet?

Yours will play without issue, directly from your phone. For the iPhones, I’d recommend reading the first post here, which explains ways for iOS users to play their music.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you have a NAS or computer set up as a Music Library source all will be able to play music stored there.

Thanks for the help guys. Last thing, how does the sound compare to a Bose for example or other quality devices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the help guys. Last thing, how does the sound compare to a Bose for example or other quality devices?

Well we have Sonos here so the overwhelming majority will stay stick with Sonos,   Bose lets you use Bluetooth but that reduces the sound quality fundamentally.  

For an unbiased view buy a Bose, on a returns basis, and compare in your environment.  This is the only way to truly tell for you.